Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Genetic 'Adam' and 'Eve' Uncovered

Big Bad Voodoo

The Bible Bashers are going to like this one.

So the population of Earth is a bunch of inbred motha****as. Sweet! So we're all bruvvaz.

"Almost every man alive can trace his origins to one man who lived about 135,000 years ago, new research suggests."

I'm interested in the exact reason for that "almost". Who's excluded?

• Like 1

"Almost" is used because this is all theoretical, and it's physically impossible to prove that everyone is related to this hypothetical person (that would require a DNA test of most men on the planet). This study was only to gauge an estimate of the most recent possible common ancestor.

Ahem, ...and from where did that one single man come from?

Oh, I got it, from a test tube baby, manufactured by an visiting alien !

Ahem, ...and from where did that one single man come from?

Oh, I got it, from a test tube baby, manufactured by an visiting alien !

From his mother and father. It's just that this man would have been the one that most modern people trace their lineage back to, the others died out.
  • Like 2

So there was only 2 people on the planet 135000 yrs ago.Total BS.

• Like 1

Like it says in the article, all modern men descend from the same common ancestor. That doesn't mean there were only two, just that it was these two ancestors that we can trace ourselves back to. There were other people around then as well, but their genetic lines died out.
  • Like 1

I think we have to stick to what we have. Evidences. Not what might be is some alternative univerese.

these are just theories. No one knows for sure. I for one prefer if they would concentrate on solving issues in our present rather than wasting time speculating about the past.

• Like 2

When science push water on your mill its science. When not...its BS. I understand.

these are just theories. No one knows for sure. I for one prefer if they would concentrate on solving issues in our present rather than wasting time speculating about the past.

Actually this not speculation, but results of genetic research. And if we only focused on trying to solve our problems we'd never get anywhere. Many solution to problems come from unexpected sources, while some problems are aimply part of the human condition and cannot be solved, only managed.

never really understand this point of view. I doubt you want the Eiffel tower torn down and it's metal re-purposed, or the statue of Liberty scrapped and recycled. These studies tell us of our history and origins. By thee nature of it, it tells us something of the human condition.

And is anyone still under the impression that this means there were onlh two people around at the time? That is not actually the implications of this study.

Edited by ShadowSot

'Tis true! They weren't called Adam & Eve though. Fred and Wilma Flintstone were their names, according to my sources. God later created Barney and Betty Rubble from some spare ribs to keep them company. And the rest is history.

• Like 3

Like it says in the article, all modern men descend from the same common ancestor. That doesn't mean there were only two, just that it was these two ancestors that we can trace ourselves back to. There were other people around then as well, but their genetic lines died out.

The other genetic lines did not die out. They still exist, albeit tainted by "Adam's" blood. This "Adam" is simply the most recent common ancestor, not the only one. Honestly, given enough time and the right conditions (ie. population stabilizes, pockets of humanity do not remain isolated, your descendants produce more than 1 child that survives to reproduce on average), you could be the most recent common ancestor in a few million years. Your offspring would produce offspring that would produce offspring that would produce offspring.. over and over, and your bloodline would "taint" other bloodlines in an endless cycle until everyone has your blood in them.

There were other people around then as well, but their genetic lines died out.

I don't even think you can say that; a common ancestor doesn't preclude the possibility that other genetic lines from that time aren't around today, just that they are not shared by the entire population.

I would guess there are lots of genetic lines from that period that are shared by only 10% or 15% (or whatever) of the population.

----

Bah! Andami beat me by a few seconds.

Edited by sepulchrave

Ah, my apologies. When I've heard it previously I was told that these other bloodlines simply died out.

I am a alittle confused because the last I heard was that a study was done and GENETICS showed that we all came from some woman in Africa??? LOL once again TV lied stupid discovery channel.

The whole Adam and Eve deal doesnt sit well with me, as someone mentioned in a post that would mean we are product of incest.

From what I understand of evolution MAN / MEN are actually a mutation. Humans way way back were all female. I always wondered since I was a kid why I had nipples that served no purpose LMFAO.... Anyways....

Im sure one day we'll get the answer :P

I am a alittle confused because the last I heard was that a study was done and GENETICS showed that we all came from some woman in Africa??? LOL once again TV lied stupid discovery channel.

From the article at the top:

Researchers believe that modern humans left Africa between 60,000 and 200,000 years ago, and that the mother of all women likely emerged from East Africa. But beyond that, the details get fuzzy.

The whole Adam and Eve deal doesnt sit well with me, as someone mentioned in a post that would mean we are product of incest.

This is not referring to the Biblical Adam and Eve, but rather the man and woman who we can genetically trace our lineage back to. They probably were at best distantly related to each other and didn't live at the same time or in the same area as each other.

From what I understand of evolution MAN / MEN are actually a mutation. Humans way way back were all female. I always wondered since I was a kid why I had nipples that served no purpose LMFAO.... Anyways....

That is completly wrong. Humans have always been male/female. Might want to take the time and read up some on evolution. Wiki is a great place to start.

Im sure one day we'll get the answer :P

Ad reading is a great place to start. Reading the article posted before commenting, or the rest of the comments on the page for starters.

Tks buddy,and its Still total B.S .but that's my opinion,if that's all these guys have to do with their time good luck to them.

I think we have to stick to what we have. Evidences. Not what might be is some alternative univerese.

What "evidence" do these guys have ?

Didnt you read it? Question is what evidence we have that there were thousands Adams and Eves?

Has anyone participated in those programs where you send in a swab of DNA from the inside of your cheek and they supposedly trace you family all the way back to wherever your ancestors came from? I've been tempted, but the price was a bit prohibitive.