Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1ft Flying Humanoid With 'Backpack' Sighting

NatureBoff

The limiting size for flying insects in our current oxygen level atmosphere is far from understood. There is no real reason known why 1ft high hovering hornet-faced insects couldn't exist today.

This study is a first step toward understanding what controls body size in insects. It’s the legs that count in the beetles studied here, but what matters for the other hundreds of thousands of beetle species, and millions of insect species overall, is still an open question.

Source: http://www.aps.anl.gov/Science/Highlights/2007/20070808.htm

This 2010 report gives further suspicions on the assumption of oxygen levels and insect body size limit, Atmospheric oxygen level and the evolution of insect body size. The latest 2004 data, shown by the dashed line in the graph, shows that the change in oxygen levels is less pronounced than previously thought.

Various patterns of modelled aPO2 over the Phanerozoic. Solid line (Berner & Canfield 1989), dotted line (Berner 2006b), dashed line (Bergman et al. 2004). Various patterns of modelled aPO2 over the Phanerozoic. Solid line (Berner & Canfield 1989), dotted line (Berner 2006b), dashed line (Bergman et al. 2004).

F1.large.jpg

However, a critical analysis must conclude that the palaeontological evidence for a link between insect size and atmospheric oxygen levels is, at best, weakly correlational. The evidence for insect gigantism in the Permo-Carboniferous is based on a few documented large fossils, raising the possibility that this is a sampling artefact. Extant species represent a small proportion of all species that have ever occurred, and so it is not surprising that larger species than today's existed in the past;
However, the observation that terrestrial crustaceans and arachnids lacking tracheae are also small relative to vertebrates suggests that other constraints may exist. Two possible constraints are the open circulatory system and the exoskeleton of arthropods.
Although alternate hypotheses exist for both Palaeozoic gigantism and the small size of insects relative to vertebrates, these have received minimal experimental investigation.
Edited by NatureBoff

So anyone who tells of seeing a strange creature is giving a "fake" story in your book, right?

What parts of this story convince you that it is credible?

I'd love to believe all kinds of stories of cryptids but it's best to be somewhat skeptical and ask pertinent questions so as not to be so gullible.

You know... there are people that use the internet to spread ridiculous bull poo just for the fun of knowing there are people out there open enough to believe them... just FYI, if you weren't already aware.... :geek:

Edited by Lava_Lady

Here's a report of something similar and strange, but not as big of course: Giant 3-4' dark brown bee/wasp-type insect in SW Ohio??

Hi All, I'm hoping someone out there knows what this is because I can't find anything close to it anywhere online! I live in SW Ohio and I see these now and then. Sorry, too chicken to get close enough for a photo! It is a giant 3-4" flying insect that resembles a bee - body is NOT segmented, but rather torpedo shaped - I'd say about 1/2" diameter. The insect appears slightly fuzzy like a bee. It flys around acting just like a wasp, looking at heat pump, windows, vents, etc. - hovers, lands, shoots off flying away. It doesn't appear to be interested in me at all but I'm not taking any chances!! It is dark brown in color and doesn't appear to have any special markings. I usually see them late afternoon and early evening when the sun is out and it's the warmest. What the heck is it?

No, they aren't cicada killers. They don't have a hard shell body like that and don't have distinct markings - in fact, no yellow at all. But my boyfriend saw another one and did confirm that it has faint stripes all around its fuzzy body. But all of the insect is brown/dark brown - maybe even black. But definitely no yellow! The body really is cigar-shaped or torpedo shaped - no defining wasp abdomen or anything. And they are HUGE!! I seriously have spent hours online looking at pictures and reading descriptions of flying bee/wasp/hornet like insects and don't see anything even close to it!

There's people who think that Denver UFO footage is of giant bugs

This encounter is truly amazing 'Praying Mantis Man' Sighting - Musconetcong River, Hackettstown, NJ (Tuesday, July 26, 2011)

Movement out of the corner of my eye to my left and there it was---

Humanoid. Tall. 6 foot at least --no reference points-- but I sense 6'6" - 7'. Moving away from me back up the bank. (I am chest-high in the river) The first thing I see was the 'grasshopper' thigh, but bending forward like a human. Then the whole form. He is looking at me over his shoulder, moving up the bank, astonished, amazed. What, that I am in the water in a strong current, that I can see him? But yes we lock eyes and this creature is astonished-- I get the sense that he can't believe I am in the water, that he can't believe I have seen him, that I am not perturbed at all-- something of all three, I still don't know-- just astonishment and he is actually trying to get away from me and the water!

Triangular Head. Huge, slanted black eyes. Just like a Praying Mantis. It's whole body was gangly, nobby, ((Nobby!) but you could still sense it was powerful, and no-- I would not say it was a "Big Bug"-- it was definitely humanoid despite the mantis/insect qualities...

Edited by NatureBoff

Here's a report of something similar and strange, but not as big of course: Giant 3-4' dark brown bee/wasp-type insect in SW Ohio??

And this person said

I usually see them late afternoon and early evening when the sun is out and it's the warmest.

then

There are lots of them out right now

But no photo was ever provided, not even her "bf" who was brave and got closer to those things was able to take a photo. Since OP last post is in 2010 and never provided a photo or something to give a clearer descriptions of her "bug" I assume she was sort of trolling.

About the Denver UFO, it's funny that the first comment it's the story about the guys getting high and allucinating about seeing a giant bug.

But Denver UFO:

http://www.rockymoun...mal.com/foxufo/

About the "Praying Mantis man" I have no input because, well because Praying Mantis men do not exist.

Edited by MrBene
  • Like 2

About the "Praying Mantis man" I have no input because, well because Praying Mantis men do not exist.

The person telling the story sounds more of a cool dude than you look though. I imagine he didn't think they existed until he saw something he couldn't explain at very close quarters. Giant insects is a new idea to me too. Surprisingly, it does fit the bill. At least they aren't too smart. At least they shy away from humans who make level eye contact. It could be a worse solution to the UFO dilemma. I imagine in the future, that if they are confirmed as giant blood&poo sucking bugs, then a scientific method of their control would be within reach. Edited by NatureBoff

Taking into account evolution we know that insects became smaller due many environment changes. What would be the reason for a specie to grow back again?

Taking into account evolution we know that insects became smaller due many environment changes. What would be the reason for a specie to grow back again?

Imagine early Antarctica being a jungled continent with giant insects and primitive dino creatures. If this isolated landmass drifted towards the south pole, then it would get increasingly difficult for a species to survive. There would be an opportunity for evolution to overcome the dead-end trachea problem in beetle legs. There was an increase in atmospheric oxygen in the middle of the cretaceous, according to the dashed lie in the graph given previously. This would have given the big insects an early advantage. When the oxygen levels started to decrease again, evolution coupled with extreme competition to survive could have led to a non-dead-end trachea system in beetle legs. Notice the oversized dangly limbs in the flying humanoid photos from Mexico. It just about hangs together as a new hypothesis for the cattle mutilations and UFO phenomena. Even the footage of bright UFOs apparently whizzing out of the upper atmosphere fits with a super-oxygen-system evolution. Possible. Edited by NatureBoff

What an earth is this thread about?? You have changed topic AGAIN!! get it in your head

• Like 1

What an earth is this thread about?? You have changed topic AGAIN!! get it in your head

You would think a 2 week smack-down would have taught him something.

• Like 1

A hyrax wearing a jet pack?

You should put this in the dogman database.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a sighting from China where two flying entities with 'backpacks' can be seen on the very last close-up still shots. Be warned, the video is terribly shakey. Watch in full screen and wait until the very end for something which is just about credible:

UFO or flying humanoid seen in China: Alien object recorded above hotel

On January 1, 2012, a man named Li Xiu Ying was staying in a hotel room in the city of Beijing, China when he spotted a UFO from his window. This incredible unidentified flying object was not your typical UFO, it appeared to be an alien or humanoid figure drifting slowly and calmly through the air above the tall building.

The witness grabbed his camera to record the UFO after noticing something "peculiar." Peculiar indeed -- the New Year's Day video shows what appears to be a human-like figure clad in some sort of strange yellow jumpsuit. It is fortunate that Li Xiu Ying was able to capture the object on camera because he reported that he was unable to spot it through the viewfinder of his camera.

According to jfrissina's Channel, the witness Li Xiu Ying described the sighting: "It literally looked like a large man floating through the sky." The UFO is obviously not some type of alien spacecraft, nor is it a little grey alien, an orb, a flying saucer, parachute, bird, plane, helicopter, or insect. So, what was it? Check out the video on the left and leave your comments below.

It is recommended that you watch this video in high definition and full screen; the footage was recorded with an HD camera. It contains the raw UFO or alien footage along with a slowed down version and still images from the video. The closest look you will get of the object is near the end of the video. This is easily the strangest UFO video to surface from New Year's Day 2012.

[media]

Edited by NatureBoff

a toy, a window washer, a fake, a bird, Bumble Bee from the Teen Titans cartoon series.

...any one of these would be more believable explanations

I was intrigued by the close encounter with this mystery cryptid. It sounds a genuine story imv

What makes it sound genuine?

Here's a sighting from China where two flying entities with 'backpacks' can be seen on the very last close-up still shots. Be warned, the video is terribly shakey. Watch in full screen and wait until the very end for something which is just about credible:

I don't see the backpack. All I see is probably balloons with arms/legs taped on them.

I don't see the backpack. All I see is probably balloons with arms/legs taped on them.

It would have been more convincing with some irregular movement, agreed. Maybe balloons, maybe not.

Why is this guy randomy filming apartment windows? Not sure about flying humanoids, but we definitely have evidence of a Chinese perv.

Why is this guy randomy filming apartment windows? Not sure about flying humanoids, but we definitely have evidence of a Chinese perv.

He saw the entity/entities from his window and then went to get his video camera. He couldn't relocate the image through his view finder, which is why the camera pans erratically over the city.

how could he tell it was anything w/ his naked eye? it looks like a blob even w/ the zoom on it

What i'm finding interesting is at the very beggining of the video there is a slight artifact dodging around, he then zooms on this artifact and suddenly there's a little thing in the sky. To me it feels too coincidental to be a compression artifact since he zooms directly to it...i'm thinking potential CGI here.

Edit...This same artifact appears again just before the second sighting...around the :50 second mark.

Edited by Mythical Legend