Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jacques Cousteau

Nateman

There was an article on Yahoo about Megladons, and someone in the comments mentioned that Jacques Cousteau once took a video/saw something weird that looked like it was walking upright and straight like a human, but it was on the ocean floor. Does anyone know anything about this?

• Like 2

I do seem to recall a story of him seeing "something odd" (odder then the usual stuff found under the sea) but not something like a Deep One or someone with the Innesmouth look.

So I think you've been spun a furphy based on a misremembered (intentionally or otherwise) story.

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Like 1

There was an article on Yahoo about Megladons, and someone in the comments mentioned that Jacques Cousteau once took a video/saw something weird that looked like it was walking upright and straight like a human, but it was on the ocean floor. Does anyone know anything about this?

I do specifically remember that episode. I was a huge fan. Now, nothing like a human. It was orange, and had 4 " legs " that looked like stumps. It was " walking " along like a stiff legged cow. It did not have a head, or neck...May have been some type of starfish. It has been a long time, but I do remember that.

• Like 1

I'e always liked this story, there was a similar one about Jacques and I believe the Great Salt Lake

Here's an older thread with mention of Cousteau diving in the Bermuda Triangle, Lake Tahoe,

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84069&st=0

and another

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52671&st=60

When I was young I believed in nothing paranormal. Since then I have lived in a *haunted* house, seen 3 UFOS(!), and a Sasquatch. Now I believe that anything is probably possible:(

Weird, I went the opposite direction.

What if we live on exact opposite sides of the globe and are the balances to each other in the universe.

DESTINAY!

Weird, I went the opposite direction.

What if we live on exact opposite sides of the globe and are the balances to each other in the universe.

DESTINAY!

Skeptical, Hopefully one day you will also experience the paranormal. I now realize that there is a world that exists along side ours that we rarely encounter, yet it is truly there:(

• Like 2

This wasn't Jacque Cousteau, but I do remember reading a book years ago (sorry I don't remember the author or title) about the deep-sea sub and looking for the Titanic. I remember they mentioned in passing seeing creatures that were "straight out of a sci-fi novel". They didn't go into detail, though, maybe because they thought they wouldn't be believed, but it did arouse my curiosity.

When I was young I believed in nothing paranormal. Since then I have lived in a *haunted* house, seen 3 UFOS(!), and a Sasquatch. Now I believe that anything is probably possible:(

This comment tells me that your mind may be playing tricks with you.

This comment tells me that your mind may be playing tricks with you.

Maybe she's telling the truth? Just because we personally haven't seen it, doesn't necessarily mean it isn't real. Open up your mind.

Maybe she's telling the truth? Just because we personally haven't seen it, doesn't necessarily mean it isn't real. Open up your mind.

Maybe her mind is playing tricks with her. Just because she thinks it does not make it true. Don't be gullible.

It goes both ways. Believing everything people say is not the same as having an open mind.

All I recall of the incident is he was alone on a dive. When he returned he said he saw something incredible, but the world was not ready for it. I am unsure if this story is accurate, though. As to waether he would have been eblieved if he revealed it: this is Jacques Coustou, at the time the most famous an influential oceanic naturalist, not to mention underwater pohtographer.

All I recall of the incident is he was alone on a dive. When he returned he said he saw something incredible, but the world was not ready for it. I am unsure if this story is accurate, though. As to waether he would have been eblieved if he revealed it: this is Jacques Coustou, at the time the most famous an influential oceanic naturalist, not to mention underwater pohtographer.

Rule #1 for Divers :

Never dive alone, all ways have a buddy.

Doubt he was alone.

• Like 1

Gee. What a coincidence.

That sounds like the story of him diving in Lake Tahoe, some say that he saw preserved bodies that had been dumped in the water by the mafia. I did a lot of digging and could not find anything to back up the story that he was even there. If memory serves me, some stories said it was a relative of his that actually did the dives. Even then there was nothing concrete I could find.

If I had money to bet, I'd bet that this is the most used cop out regarding anything paranormal.

If I had money to bet, I'd bet that this is the most used cop out regarding anything paranormal.

You don't need the money. You won't lose.

I do seem to recall a story of him seeing "something odd" (odder then the usual stuff found under the sea) but not something like a Deep One or someone with the Innesmouth look.

So I think you've been spun a furphy based on a misremembered (intentionally or otherwise) story.

Wouldn't that be something ha

I think the Cousteau thing was in a lake...I think Razer was right...maybe Tahoe looking for some serpent or something...and supposedly he said that there was things in the lake nobody was ready for..as I recall it was bodies but I think it was some indian graceyard or something...but I don't think he ever gave that many details

A quick Google search shows that the "The world is not ready..." quote is directly related to Lake Tahoe. The city and state governments around the lake quote it.

Most of those same city and state references quickly also state that there is no evidence that Jacques ever even got near the lake...

According to the LA Times, the whole thing is just an urban legend. Jacques never visited the lake in his lifetime and his son was only there for a speaking engagement. That said, bodies have been found incredibly well preserved in the depths of the lake. I used to live in Ithaca, NY, and we had similar finds in much shallower Cayuga Lake. In fact, last account I had, there's still a family searching for a drowning victim from the late 1990s.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/09/local/la-me-missing-diver-20110809

WARNING - very bad example set below - do not take anything said from here onwards as 'advice'.

Rule #1 for Divers :

Never dive alone, all ways have a buddy.

Doubt he was alone.

Wearing my old marine research centre management hat, yes, that is very true and an absolute rule...

ummm.. but ...

... now that I'm long retired, I have to admit that what one does in one's own time and at one's own risk, means that the rule is broken sometimes by those of us with little common sense.. :blush: I used to (and still do) find the call of the underwater world too strong to resist sometimes! I've often (yes, I'm very, very bad) spent time diving (both scuba and snorkel) alone, and often far away from any civilisation. Admittedly, most of that was in relatively safe (ie not very deep) circumstances (I'm actually a highly experienced and practising coward!), but then I did also useta live in a region famous for Great Whites... so go figure..

Anyway, even when accompanied, you will often see things that your buddy will completely miss because they are facing the wrong way or are just a little bit further away in the murk.

Note that I do not, in any way, condone such risk-taking and unsafe behaviour!! Do not try any of that at home in your bathtub...

Lake Tahoe.... Now I remember this. I grew up swimming and whatever else at Lake Tahoe.

He was never there.