Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Climate change could lead to more wars

Saru

A rise in global temperatures could have more than just an environmental effect on the world we live in.

Climate change isn’t just affecting the natural world. Researchers have long understood that rising levels of greenhouse gas emissions will also have cascading ramifications on the dynamics of human society.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I'm afraid potable water will be in short supply before long in the US, unless people have the money to purchase it. The corporations are already very busy buying our water supply out from under us. In my case it's Poland Spring, which is owned by Nestle Corporation. i saw this coming years ago, when they started approaching the communities and offering to purchase part of public water supplies. Nobody would listen. Many still don't, but it is now becoming more apparent. It isn't spring water. It's town water supplies, people.

• Like 2

When are people going to take heed? Overpopulation is a far greater threat. Remember that once the Earth is half full it only takes one more generation to fill it up.

• Like 1

Total PC nonsense.

There will be more wars, but not because of the PC fairy tale of global warming.

Take a walk with that man-bear-pig.

Um, Zaphod222, you do know that heat does cause more violent behaviour, right? Imagine that heat never ending in places with deep-rooted political, social and economic (and religious) tensions?

You're ignoring the evidence right in front of you. Forget about global warming, but you're denying that heat causes more violent crime, which is completely against the evidence available.

No time for long arguments, but arrogant mankind doesn't have a snowball's hope in hell of stopping global warming as long as the population is in an uncontrolled spiral climb. Population proliferation is most pronounced in the developing world where there is diminishing sustainabilty. These people are infiltrating the developed world at an alarming rate. Look what they do, and it is widespread, this must contribute at huge amount of carbon to the atmosphere (I took this picture myself the other night, is is not internet stock) The match is the poor man's lawnmower and tractor :

557891_10151567592227749_1109133522_n.jpg

... The weather regularly makes or breaks armies throughout history....

What good is a technologically superior army with nuclear weapons, if most of the population is dead?

The Megafauna of North America survived several ice ages, but not the one that took place around 11,000 years ago.

The greater the population density, the more fragile it becomes, and we are much more fragile than butterflies

In a dream, I survive the coming extinction, but not because an army was protecting me.

The survivors are unarmed. My sense was of a relatively sudden event that leads to a cold and wet environment.

I have spoken to a few 'elderly' people who mentioned that the weather is similar to what they experienced at the beginning of the last century...or that their parents spoke of similar events... I recall the weather getting so hot in the mid 1960's that our shoes stuck to the roads... Early recorded extreme weather http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/publications/papers-and-podcasts/prominent-people/inigo-jones.aspx other extremes... http://members.iinet.net.au/~jacob/worldtp.html

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/07/10/extreme-weather-is-an-integral-part-of-the-earths-climate/

Extreme weather is an integral part of the Earth’s climate.

Throughout the recorded history of the Earth’s climate, extreme weather events have always occurred somewhere, and are caused by large-scale atmosphere ocean flow patterns and their complex interaction with local/regional weather and climate features. An examination of the 20th century climate of North America reveals that the decades of 1920s and 1930s, known as the Dust Bowl years, witnessed perhaps the most extreme climate over the Great American Plains and elsewhere. There were recurring droughts and heat waves on the Canadian/American Prairies.

The prairies also witnessed some extreme cold winters during the 1910s and 1920s – for example in 1907 and 1920. We meteorologists still do not fully understand why the climate of North America was so anomalous during the 1920s and 1930s.

During the 1950s and 1960s most of Canada witnessed extreme cold winters, especially on the prairies where record breaking low temperatures (Edmonton at minus 45C and below in the 1960s) were registered. In Ontario and Quebec, cold and snowy winters was a norm during the 1960s and early 1970s.

THE FORGOTTEN STORM

The Great Tri-State Tornado of 1925 was the worst tornado in history to strike America, sweeping through Missouri, Illinois and Indiana, injuring 2,000 and killing 695. Although now largely forgotten, it set standards against which we still measure all others.

Short answer, no – It seems to be decreasing. The most extreme weather in the US occurred 60-120 years ago, before global climate disruption kicked in.

1889 – Pennsylvania – the deadliest flood in US history

1900 – Galveston – the deadliest Hurricane in US History

1910 – Idaho – the biggest forest fire in US history

1913 – Death Valley – The hottest temperature ever recorded in North America.

1913 – Ohio – the third worst flood in US history

1925 – Tri-State Tornado – the worst tornado in US history. Wind speeds up to 318 mph

1928 – Okeechobee – Category 5 hurricane killed 2,500 people

1930s – Dust Bowl – Hottest year and worst drought in US history

1935 – Florida – Strongest hurricane to ever hit the US

1937 – Mississippi Valley – the second worst flood in US history

1938 – New England Hurricane

1940s – Worst decade for hurricanes in the US

The anti-engineering climochondriacs weren’t alive when all this was going on. They live inside their own imagination.

http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2010/09/22/is-extreme-weather-really-increasing/

'

Strange weather has been happening all over the world for centuries... all pre carbon trading days...

The only thing that is constant about the weather is that it is changing.

The idea that the weather by default is stable, and changes are unusual is ludicrious.

And the idea that humanity causes the changes by man-made-activties is putting another ludicrious assumption on top of an existing ludicrious assumption.

The only reason for Al Gore`s man-bear-pig monster, aka, the so-called global warming "problem", is POLITICS.

"One must say clearly that we want to redistribute the world`s wealh by climate policy".

(Ottmar Edenhofer, United Nations IPCC)

Edited by Zaphod222

No one has ever denied that the weather is in a continuous state of change, prove me wrong here and show me a quote where someone does. Good luck.

However it is the steady rise in temperature on a global scale, with no external cause which is different. Only CO2 and land use change plugs the gap in accounting for it.

Extreme weather events have also indeed always happened, but it is the increasing frequency and severity which is noteworthy. This increase in sever weather is clearly discernible in those areas which have good historic weather data such as north America and Europe. The data doesn't lie, unless you believe in conspiracies that is :tu:

Please try to differentiate between what the scientists are saying about the weather/climate in an impartial analysis, and what the politicians are saying about what we should do about it. The two things are not the same.

Br Cornelius

Yeah, the idea that there is no climate change is beyond ridiculous.

We continue to argue about what is driving it...also ridiculous.

What we need to agree on is that we need to prepare for it.

Last year we had droughts...this year we have had a cool wet summer. To me, the clever person would think "I might ought retain some of this water just in case there is another drought. If there isn't a drought, well you have made some ponds, lakes and reservoirs and those can be used for recreation and flood control. IF there is another drought...then you will be prepared....win-win.

I also have the gut feeling that soon it is going to be water that draws people to conflict and hostility and not oil or gas. Without fresh water...kinda hard to grow food...which leads to famine...which can lead to deteriorating health conditions...which can lead to disease and pestilence.

In my opinion...we really don't concern ourselves enough with taking care of our fresh water.

• Like 1

I've had only two "end of the world" dreams, and both contained several unexpected elements.

The one big thing they had in common is the lack of weapons, or the need for them.

I also saw no evidence of a conflict, both in viewing the bodies of the dead, and the buildings where I was located.

In the second dream I am shown the cause, and there will be no defense against this.

What I saw is not the ending that most Christians have imagined either, but it fits their story line, with an amazing twist that I think would blow their minds .... in a good way.

There won't be time to fight over resources. At least not in any defining way.

So all the Christians who are hoarding guns. You are truly lost.

The people that survive the coming extinction are unarmed, and I suspect may be why they survive.

It is a real cool summer here.

• Like 1

I was commenting to my wife how it does NOT feel like the middle of August. We have had a very cool and wet summer which is not what the last 5 to7 years have been. In the last 5 to 7 years, we have consistently had high 90's and 100's for late July and August. The last few mornings (all this month actually) it has been in the low to mid 50's and the highs in the mid 70's, maybe getting to upper 70's.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving it! Windows open, AC not burning up the electric bill and it's just gorgeous outside. But...my weird brain doesn't appreciate anything for long without looking for the "catch". I'm kind of expecting a harsh winter. Don't know what the almanac is forecasting, but my bones and my brain says it is going to be a tough one. Either very-very cold or lots and lots of snow...maybe both.

Just a hunch these old mountain bones have...

Edited by Jeremiah65

What I am seeing in this topic is that people are interchangeably using the terms weather and climate. Weather and climate are very different. Weather is your day to day meteorological conditions while climate, also referred to as "statistical weather", is the long term averaged regional weather conditions. Weather obviously is changing every day depending on the synoptic features however climate is steady: we know that July is warmer than May in the Mid latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere and that Nor'Easters and Hurricanes have seasonality - this is regional climate.

There are numerous studies focusing on the human response to climate change and all of them point that warmer conditions and water stress lead to more conflicts. I know that climate change has become a political topic despite the fact that there is a mounting evidence pointing that climate change is real. Notice that I did not say "warming" but "change". Some areas of the globe are becoming warmer, some colder and wetter however the global average temperature is increasing. This is a scientific fact. Our climate system is very complex and what matters is the feedbacks. Day-to-day weather is also affected by climate change and by the transition between climate states - you can expect more extreme events - hurricanes, floods, droughts, tornadoes. All these extreme events have a direct socioeconomic impact.

Weather patterns are directly connected to the prevailing climate of any particular season or geographical area...I think most of us know that.

I was commenting to my wife how it does NOT feel like the middle of August. We have had a very cool and wet summer which is not what the last 5 to7 years have been. In the last 5 to 7 years, we have consistently had high 90's and 100's for late July and August. The last few mornings (all this month actually) it has been in the low to mid 50's and the highs in the mid 70's, maybe getting to upper 70's.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving it! Windows open, AC not burning up the electric bill and it's just gorgeous outside. But...my weird brain doesn't appreciate anything for long without looking for the "catch". I'm kind of expecting a harsh winter. Don't know what the almanac is forecasting, but my bones and my brain says it is going to be a tough one. Either very-very cold or lots and lots of snow...maybe both.

Just a hunch these old mountain bones have...

Agreed it is just climate changes that many civilizations endure through our history, not all the crasy hype of gobal warming and how man is causing it all.

Before global warming, climate change, climate chaos, or whatever the PC nuts are calling it now can have an effect on anything, it must first exist. That is a major problem because it doesn't. No proof. Climate and weather are constantly changing and cycling. It has been happening since the beginning of time. Overpopulation, pollution, etc.. are real worries. Global warming, well not so much.

Mike

Steady increase in global heat content equals global warming. Scientific fact. Cause's are many but increasing CO2 is important anthropogenic source of that Global warming.

Its not hype - its science.

Ignorance of the techniques and conclusions of science have dangerous consequences and we sleepwalk into an uncertain future as a consequence.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Total PC nonsense.

There will be more wars, but not because of the PC fairy tale of global warming.

Take a walk with that man-bear-pig.

Keep chanting that mantra and ignoring the evidence.

The demons are sure to go away if we just pray hard enough.

Just pray hard enough - the magic cannot fail.

:w00t:

Br Cornelius

I have a question for the true believers and the scoffers and skeptics.

My position is one of logic...regardless of the underlying cause, I am not blind or ignorant...climate change is happening. I appreciate the arguments on both sides of the "man made global warming" situation, but I feel the argument is paralyzing us from beneficial action.

So...what do we do to prepare for it? Continue to argue until we find ourselves in deep sh!t? Fight it out and then next summer or the next we get another grain belt drought that reduces the amount of available food and drives up the price so that the poor continue to depend on the Gov for sustenance?...that sounds pretty crappy to me.

I have stated several times so... prudent measures that might cost a little money, but it is no way money wasted. Freshwater retainage facilities are useful in a multitude of ways...not just alleviating "possible" future droughts. Flood control and recreation being right up there as well.

My instincts tell me that freshwater resources are going to become an issue in the future...why not prepare now? Lakes, ponds, reservoirs and a aqueduct or delivery system...this is not brain surgery or rocket science people.

So...

Do we continue to argue in a debate that cannot be won or do we agree on the premise that it is never a bad idea to be prepared...just in case.

Even if you totally dismiss "man made global warming"...it is hard to deny we are in the midst of a changing climate...Do not tell me "Oh that always happens...climate has always changed"...so, Big effing Deal... Are you ok with going hungry because it is "natural cycle"? I'm not.

There is evidence the whole solar system is heating up....does that make it ok to ignore the ramifications of that? Maybe to the stupid and ignorant...but I personally would like to be able to have some food and have it at a price I can afford...

• Like 1

For every single shred of global warming evidence there is just as much evidence that says it's all a lie. Nothing has been proven, just theorized. I have no problem accepting scientific fact, but as of yet there is no scientific FACT on global warming. Hell, they can't even call it global warming anymore because that isn't true. They have to call it climate change now. The more vague you make it the easier it is to make people believe it. Is the climate changing? Sure it is, but thats called a cycle. Its been happening since the beginning of time. Remember 2005 hurricane season? I do because I was in the middle of it. Everyone said Oh its global warming causing the seas to heat up faster and making more hurricanes and stronger hurricanes. Get ready coastal states you are all going to die. Well, what has happened since? Nothing, because its a cycle. In another year or so we will most likely have another strong hurricane season because the cycle will be repeating itself. Its just another lie used by the government to suck people dry.

Mike