Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Still Waters

The demon drink: war on sugar

4 posts in this topic

Our addiction to sugar is linked to obesity, cancer and heart disease – and soft drinks are among the worst offenders. Alex Renton reports on the new health war, and reveals why some fruit juices may be as bad for you as cans of fizz.

http://www.theguardi...nk-war-on-sugar

I read the article Stillwater...and on the surface it is accurate...but the problem I have with the article is that it doesn't go into any real detail about ~ sugar.

The Fact is that not all 'sugar' is the same. The article does mention High Fructose Corn Syrup, but only briefly and just gloms it into the overall sugar stats. But HFCS is NOT like sugar at all. The body doesn't process HFCS as a sugar...instead, the body processes HFCS as a FAT. Also, HFCS creates an urge for more where just processed sugar cane sugar doesn't. The more HFCS you take in...the more you want. And if you look at the ingredient labels closely you will find that HFCS is in practically everything from peanut butter to mayonaise to most drinks...including Gatorade and other sports drinks.

So then, it isn't really Sugar...table sugar...raw processed cane sugar...that we are talking about...it is High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Consider that the LARGEST Corporation in the world has, as its core, aisle after aisle after aisle of inexpensive products containing HFCS.

Also consider that on every corner of America there is some brand of fast food outlet. Combine all of that with the instant gratification society and smart phones and pcs and tv and .....you wind up with a culture where somebody calls 911 because they can't find their remote....

We are so doomed. :gun:

2 people like this

It's kinda sad: I had to become diabetic to get the doctor to warn me about American soft drinks. Certain ones are common in Vietnam and I was addicted, in a sense. Once the damage is done it can be mitigated and controlled but not undone.

Posted (edited)

I stay away from those artificial bubble drinks in psychodelic colors and with fancy names. Never liked those, actually. But I do like fruit juices. Of those, I only buy the ones that say "100%".... but considering the sheenanigans the food industry is up to, I should probably quite those too.

But they won´t make me stop drinking beer. No way.

Edited by Zaphod222
2 people like this