Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wickian

Two hinged jaw sea predator

8 posts in this topic

I remember years ago I saw some documentary that talked about an extinct sea predator that had an extra pivoting point with it's jaw for an extremely powerful bite. But now when I did a few google searches to refresh my memory about it, I can't find any mention of it. Anyone happen to know what I'm talking about and can direct me to an information page?

I remember years ago I saw some documentary that talked about an extinct sea predator that had an extra pivoting point with it's jaw for an extremely powerful bite. But now when I did a few google searches to refresh my memory about it, I can't find any mention of it. Anyone happen to know what I'm talking about and can direct me to an information page?

Mosasaur?

Mosasaurs had double-hinged jaws and flexible skulls (much like that of a snake), which enabled them to gulp down their prey almost whole, a snake-like habit which helped identify the unmasticated gut contents fossilized within mosasaur skeletons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosasaur

Sorry I can't help but when you do find out could you post a pic? Would like to see what it looks like.

Sorry I can't help but when you do find out could you post a pic? Would like to see what it looks like.

Wickian has not yet confirmed whether or not the mosasauridae is the family he recalls. However, should this prove to be the case, you may find the following to be of interest:

http://www.oceansofk...com/page7b.html

http://www.oceansofk....com/sdsmt.html

1 person likes this

Thank you Swede.:)

Thank you Swede. :)

My pleasure. Trust that you will find the material to be informative.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I don't believe it was either of those. The fossil I remember seeing was a bit flatter in the front(rather than a long thin snout) and if I remember right the teeth were an extended portion of the jaw bone itself.

It was years ago that I saw this documentary, but I'm pretty sure that's what it looked like.

Edit: The analogy they used to describe how the jaw opened a closed was almost exactly like a pair of vice grips. They had an additional jaw hinge below the main hinge.

Edited by Wickian