Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

Pet monkey confiscated after nearly 40 years

10 posts in this topic

Thousands of people in Brazil have signed online petitions demanding the return of a pet monkey taken away by environmental police after living for nearly 40 years with a family.

The capuchin monkey, known as Chico, was taken to a nature reserve.

Authorities in the city of Sao Carlos said it was illegal to keep wild native animals at home in Brazil.

However, Chico's 71-year-old former owner, Elizete Farias Carmona, said she had treated him "like a son".

http://www.bbc.co.uk...merica-23583001

Can the little guy even survive in the wild?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Obviously he was very well taken care of if he has survived for 40 years. That is an amazingly long lifespan for a monkey.

Edit: @Taun, I doubt it. A monkey his age is probably not far away from death as it is. Coupled with lack of knowledge or experience in the wild, he wouldn't live very long at all. Of course, they did take him too a reserve not the wilderness.

Edited by Andami

Can the little guy even survive in the wild?

Probably not. This is about as cruel and inhumane as you can get.

1 person likes this

So they had the little guy for 40 years and some tattle-tail had to go and blubber, eh?

Priceless. I can't imagine the trauma the poor thing is going to go through being taken from the only home it knows, filled with toys, colors, happiness and flung into a cage and thrust into an environment which is totally foreign to it.

Just sad...the family took great care of the little guy.

3 people like this

yeah i say give the monkey back if it survived that long like an above comment the monkey must have been well taken care of

I would think that this law they cite was passed AFTER the monkey moved in with these people... So why can't they "grandfather" this case?...

Too often the authorities get caught up in the letter of the law, and forget about the spirit of the law... or just plain common sense....

4 people like this

That is so cruel !!!! How stupid are they ?!?!?!

Makes me think of Project Nim.

Didn't ppl learn from that horrible end?

(clarification: It was an experiment to let a chimp grow up as human as possible, in the end the professor just stopped the experiment after about 20 years and Nim was shipped back into a cage and later when that facility went bankrupped he was shipped down to medical testing lab, and later was freed luckily but was lonely and has had of course a very confusing and sad life. Just imagine a chimp being brought up to be a human in every sense of the word and then suddenly being put in a cage and having to eat from the ground and not being dressed etc ... )

Such a bad choice, typical bureaucracy.

A monkey in silk is a monkey no less