Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Falling in love

Aggie

I have always wondered why in English is 'falling' in love...why falling?

Why not 'rising' in love.....or 'lifting' in love...?

Does love make us fall?....shouldn't it be the opposite?

• Like 1

I have always wondered why in English is 'falling' in love...why falling?

Why not 'rising' in love.....or 'lifting' in love...?

Does love make us fall?....shouldn't it be the opposite?

It certainly feels like falling, when it happens.

• Like 6

Maybe they call it falling to show a lack of control.

When I feel joy/euphoria or love I tend to get the bubbles and energy rising up to the top of my head. But that's generally when I feel a more spiritual style love I guess.

So maybe it depends on what kind of love as to whether we fall or rise.

• Like 4

It certainly feels like a high to me, not falling.....falling is what I feel when I'm sad, love doesn't make me sad.

• Like 3

It certainly feels like a high to me, not falling.....falling is what I feel when I'm sad, love doesn't make me sad.

Perhaps more like jumping out of a plane. Not that I've ever done that, with or without a parachute (lol), but falling in love certainly involves letting go and taking a massive, heart-racing leap into the unknown, putting your trust in someone, or something else entirely.

• Like 3

Yeah, like falling off a plane...never done that either but I can imagine the feeling!...but doesn't the risk feel good? lol

My OP is because I realize that in many other languages 'falling in love' is not 'falling', is 'becoming in love', for example in Spanish and Italian.

I don't know if there is another language, besides English, that uses the word falling to describe becoming enamoured.

Yeah, like falling off a plane...never done that either but I can imagine the feeling!...but doesn't the risk feel good? lol

My OP is because I realize that in many other languages 'falling in love' is not 'falling', is 'becoming in love', for example in Spanish and Italian.

I don't know if there is another language, besides English, that uses the word falling to describe becoming enamoured.

The risk feels very good, the best feeling there is.

Interesting question, I don't know the answer to that.

• Like 1

I'd say because you "fall" from being self empowered...

to depending on someone else to empower and make you happy....

like a fallen angel.. you fall from your original greatness..

and give another the power to destroy your soul

• Like 1

Very good answer.....but I still wonder why other languages don't see love as 'falling;...

• Like 1

That's not what real love is. Far from it, what you describe there is ego love perhaps.

I think the word 'fallen' in regards to the angelics is completely misinterpreted as well imo, by our language. The "fall" is the descension in consciousness to ego consciousness ie, becoming a 3d physical being, it is not supposed to mean 'less than' of what resides above in the celestial or higher planes of consciousness, it's just a term which describes an ego identity which is needed to be here. But it is ego which attaches labels and values to the words to see one state better than the other. Black and white / good and evil.

Descension in consciousness to 3d is equal to physical body matter - it is how consciousness expresses itself in 3d. (That is for those whose English is not their first language) Ascension (rising) is to describe the state of consciousness in dimensions above 3d (outside of physical reality and ego identity).

The OP is right, the word falling is the wrong word to describe love. It should be rising in love as the opening of the heart chakra is a rising (ascension) in consciousness/energy. Aside from the bio, chemical, hormonal and psychological changes one goes through, which is all 3d level processes right---Love is also about consciousness and energy compatibility, and the opening of the heart chakra as a result - which is a major major thing to happen and it's impact on not just the body level of being but the emotional, mental, spiritual bodies too - Love is then is supposed to be the journey to live and balance through the heart chakra consciousness and energies in the self and with each other. Not everyone can do it because unfortunately we aren't taught to be in awareness of this, you either are or you aren't --- so chose who you open your heart to wisely, our 'fallen' state makes it a challenge as fallen relates to the ego aspect we have to juggle as well. Ego and heart are always in contention but can be balanced. It just takes work and patience, another thing people give up on far to easily.

I wish they would teach the real meaning of love in schools from a young age, so people weren't so quick to give their hearts away to someone who is not on their wavelength or energetically compatible with them. If people were more heart aware and less genital (root/sacral) aware there would be such less confusion and hurt and the feelings of utter dis empowerment.

But no our society bombards young people and everyone with the lustrous sexual ego instant gratification version of love, that emotionally really belongs to the consciousness level of a brick.

To many people ending up with damaged heart chakras from a young age and then having warped views about what love is and how to manage that consciousness in a balanced way, it's not supposed to be like that.

• Like 3

That's not what real love is. Far from it, what you describe there is ego love perhaps.

I think the word 'fallen' in regards to the angelics is completely misinterpreted as well imo, by our language. The "fall" is the descension in consciousness to ego consciousness ie, becoming a 3d physical being, it is not supposed to mean 'less than' of what resides above in the celestial or higher planes of consciousness, it's just a term which describes an ego identity which is needed to be here. But it is ego which attaches labels and values to the words to see one state better than the other. Black and white / good and evil.

Descension in consciousness to 3d is equal to physical body matter - it is how consciousness expresses itself in 3d. (That is for those whose English is not their first language) Ascension (rising) is to describe the state of consciousness in dimensions above 3d (outside of physical reality and ego identity).

The OP is right, the word falling is the wrong word to describe love. It should be rising in love as the opening of the heart chakra is a rising (ascension) in consciousness/energy. Aside from the bio, chemical, hormonal and psychological changes one goes through, which is all 3d level processes right---Love is also about consciousness and energy compatibility, and the opening of the heart chakra as a result - which is a major major thing to happen and it's impact on not just the body level of being but the emotional, mental, spiritual bodies too - Love is then is supposed to be the journey to live and balance through the heart chakra consciousness and energies in the self and with each other. Not everyone can do it because unfortunately we aren't taught to be in awareness of this, you either are or you aren't --- so chose who you open your heart to wisely, our 'fallen' state makes it a challenge as fallen relates to the ego aspect we have to juggle as well. Ego and heart are always in contention but can be balanced. It just takes work and patience, another thing people give up on far to easily.

I wish they would teach the real meaning of love in schools from a young age, so people weren't so quick to give their hearts away to someone who is not on their wavelength or energetically compatible with them. If people were more heart aware and less genital (root/sacral) aware there would be such less confusion and hurt and the feelings of utter dis empowerment.

But no our society bombards young people and everyone with the lustrous sexual ego instant gratification version of love, that emotionally really belongs to the consciousness level of a brick.

To many people ending up with damaged heart chakras from a young age and then having warped views about what love is and how to manage that consciousness in a balanced way, it's not supposed to be like that.

Great post! I like the part about choosing wisely who you give you heart to.

I suppose at a young age when i was much younger I did not choose wisely.

I just notice when I shave and fix myself up women look at me a lot.

But I doubt anyone out there is my soul mate. for many reasons.

I have a dark view of love as far as romantic or me depending on another to be happy.

I feel love , happiness, and adventure everyday.

But it's through self empowerment and nature that i did this.

A lot of my single friends and aquantences..

are sad always and depressed....

I have no time to be depressed... always something new and exciting to do.. !

• Like 1

Great post! I like the part about choosing wisely who you give you heart to.

I suppose at a young age when i was much younger I did not choose wisely.

I just notice when I shave and fix myself up women look at me a lot.

But I doubt anyone out there is my soul mate. for many reasons.

I have a dark view of love as far as romantic or me depending on another to be happy.

I feel love , happiness, and adventure everyday.

But it's through self empowerment and nature that i did this.

A lot of my single friends and aquantences..

are sad always and depressed....

I have no time to be depressed... always something new and exciting to do.. !

When you shave you get more attention? Yeah, some like that, we are all different...but some of us like men with beards! lol

I could never have a dark view on love, no matter how may times I fail or succeed. Love is one of the elixirs of life and no matter how long you are single, I believe we all have a special person out there that complement us.

blu3 de 3n3rgy is correct: we should change the expression to 'lifting in love' or 'rising in love' and not falling....love is a beautiful thing.

eh falling in love just sounds better to me, but maybe that's because Iv always heard it said that way.

Perhaps more like jumping out of a plane. Not that I've ever done that, with or without a parachute (lol), but falling in love certainly involves letting go and taking a massive, heart-racing leap into the unknown, putting your trust in someone, or something else entirely.

I can see the point of those who say it should be "rising" instead of "falling", but I think Elfin hit the nail on the head. It's exhilarating, but can also be somewhat scary... though I guess floating away on the wind like a balloon might be scary too. ;)

Don't forget that people fall out of love, just as easy as they fall into love. In that case, why do we call it falling out of love? I think that Kazahel said it best when he said it's to show lack of control, and Elfin made a good comparison as well. I think these two hit the ball right out of the park on this one.

In both expressions falling in, and falling out you can show for lack of control, and it would feel like you jumped out of a plane.

Ever heard the expression, "my heart just sank into my chest" and then you get nauseated, and tears well up, or your face heats up and you just want to yell or punch a wall?

Love, is so intense, so intoxicating, so poisonous, so unpredictable, so fatal. But loves is also so soft, so delicate, so moving, so spiritual that it speaks to the soul. Love is a cobra, and were the snake charmers.

Love is a loaded gun, aimed directly at your heart. That's probably how the idea of Cupid came about. Hearts and Arrows. Also something that interested me just a second ago, was the correlation of Cupid and Falling in Love. Though derived from Greek mythology, Cupid being an angel, and angels have fell from heaven, from a biblical perspective, knowing heaven is a place of pure love, the love of God. So in a sense wouldn't the definition of falling in love, look something sort of like this?

Fallen in Heaven? And the opposite of which would be Fallen from Heaven? She's an angel fallen from heaven... So if were all falling in one direction, then where's that leave hell?

Life and Death, Heaven and Hell, Love and Hate some people call them cousins, I call them split personalities.

• Like 2

In my experience, "falling" is the perfect word to describe it. It feels like I have no control over how strongly I feel, like I am truly falling for someone and am unable to catch myself.

Also, I was going to put this in another discussion which is now closed, so i'll just have to post it here

You are at the doctor’s office and she has just informed you that you have approximately one month to live. 1) Do you tell anyone/everyone you are going to die? 2) What do you do with your remaining days? 3) Would you be afraid?

1)I tell my family and everyone I want to see before I die. Anyone else will hear about it some way or another, and I won't worry myself with telling anyone I do not feel comfortable with.

2)I surround myself with the people who I most care about. I also try my best to do anything I still want to do but have not done yet. I also spend considerable time coming to terms with the fact that I am going to die.

3)I would be terrified. Everyone is scared of death because it is the end of everything they know. To them, it is as if the world is ending. However I would coach myself into a more positive mindset. I am going to die, I might as well try to accept it and move on instead of living my last month depressed and fearful.

You can have one of the following two things: trust/love. Which would you choose?

It is impossible to choose because a life without either of these things would be incredibly painful and terrifying. Trust and love are both emotions that give people a sense of security, safety, happiness and confidence. Without either of those feelings in my life, I could see myself becoming depressed, angry, insecure, unappreciated and filled with self loathing, wondering, what was wrong with me.

Why do they use sterilized needles for death by lethal injection?

No matter the crimes committed by these people, they deserve to be killed in a humane matter. I think that taking someone's life should be avoided at all costs, and I think it's a tragic irony that our own government murders people for murdering people. However, if someone is going to be killed, they should be treated with respect. They are still human no matter what they have done.

Should crematoriums give discounts for burn victims?

Cremating someone is not a thing to be taken lightly. Applying a discount sends the message that human life, which we value beyond anything else in this world, is no more important than other items in other stores that receive discounts. All people should be treated equally, both in life and in death and their bodies should be the important thing here, not the money.

Which is a stronger emotion: anger or love?

No emotion is stronger than any other based on the type of feeling. Any emotion, given the right situation, can outweigh all others. If anger was stronger than love, then couples wouldn't be able to look past their differences, forgive each other, and stay in love. And if love was stronger than anger, couples would never split up because they would always put their love for each other ahead of their anger.

What is your quirkiest habit and how long have you had it?

Thinking constantly about these kinds questions and not being able to stop. I have questioned things since I was very young, and this kind of questioning has matured into thinking deeply about philosophical topics.

Does God believe that there are atheists?

If there is a God, and he indeed is all-knowing, then he does. Atheists exist, it is a fact.

can insanity bring on more creativity?

Definitely. Insanity can inspire qualities in people that sane people would never have. Many greats in history were insane (Pythagoras started a religion which claimed beans were evil, Michelangelo is believed to have had a severe case of autism, Tesla was terrified of touching round objects). The things that made these people insane also probably helped them achieve everything they did.

Define a great relationship?

Whether romantic or not, a great relationship must be between people who trust, appreciate, understand, respect and enjoy each other.

Define a great life?

A great life is a happy life. Our world is filled with so many miserable people that when someone lives a truly happy, content life, I consider that to be a great thing.

Define success?

Happiness. People are constantly trying to achieve happiness, so a happy life is a successful one.

You are walking down the street on your way to work. There is a dog drowning in the canal on the side of the street. Your boss has told you if you are late one more time you get fired. What do you do?

I help. I know the risk of getting fired, but if it is easy enough to save the dog, I know I will feel terrible for watching it die and doing nothing. I save the dog and do my best to explain my actions to my boss, because saving a dog from drowning is a pretty legitimate excuse as opposed to oversleeping or bad traffic.

Are you the kind of friend that you would want to have as a friend?

Most definitely. I do my best to treat everyone with respect, and for the most part I genuinely believe I do. I value other people and take them seriously, and I have been surprised throughout my life to see that some people simply do not care about others.

What is the meaning of life?

To be happy. A happy person will appreciate their life

Why is the sky blue?

I assume it is because of the mixture of chemicals in the air that cause us to perceive it as blue

What do you think would be the hardest thing for you to give up on?

I think that I could give up on anything if I were in the right situation. People who commit suicide have given up on everything, including themselves.

Would you give a homeless person CPR if they were dying?

I do not know CPR, but I would call an ambulance or do my best to help if I could.

Are you old fashioned?

I appreciate some values of older people that seem lost on this generation, but besides that not really.

Which would you choose, true love with a guarantee of a heart break or have never loved before?

True love with guarantee of heartbreak. True love is such an amazing, magical feeling and the fact that some people will never experience it makes me feel genuinely sorry for them. People can always get over heartbreak, and the knowledge that love can be so strong and beautiful will help them in finding someone who they can love without ending in heartbreak.

Why is it only drug dealers and software developers call their clients 'users'?

coincidence

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

you have both failed and succeeded

If you were a genie and a person asked you this wish, "I wish you would not grant me this wish", what would you do?

not grant them the wish because they told me not to

If you could make anyone on this forum your servant for the day, who would it be and what would you make them do?

I would make them do errands that I am too lazy to get around to do

If you could be born again would choose to be a different sex to what you are?

no

How far would you go with someone that you just met?

all the way if they're hot

If someone has a mid-life crisis while playing hide and seek, does he automatically lose because he can't find himself?

no....the rules to hide-and-seek are much different than the rules to life.

Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all"?

They go on vacations like anyone else. No matter how peaceful your life is, people always get bored and desire a little change

Why isn't there a mouse-flavored cat food?

People would find it strange

What impact are you wanting to leave on the world?

I don't care what kind of impact I have on the world as long as I am content and happy with my life. However I believe that in order to be happy I will need to have some kind of positive impact to feel good about myself

Because after you fall, you expect to do more things... Like you know there's a bed nearby... you'd fall and do what you want to do...

Cupid carries two kinds of arrows, one with a sharp golden point, and the other with a blunt tip of lead. A person wounded by the golden arrow is filled with uncontrollable desire, but the one struck by the lead feels aversion and desires only to flee.

(Ovid, Metamorphoses)

Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,

And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.

Nor hath love's mind of any judgement taste;

Wings and no eyes figure unheedy haste.

And therefore is love said to be a child

Because in choice he is so oft beguiled.

(Shakespeare - A Midsummer Night's Dream - Act I Scene 1)

• Like 2

Cupid carries two kinds of arrows, one with a sharp golden point, and the other with a blunt tip of lead. A person wounded by the golden arrow is filled with uncontrollable desire, but the one struck by the lead feels aversion and desires only to flee.

(Ovid, Metamorphoses)

Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,

And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.

Nor hath love's mind of any judgement taste;

Wings and no eyes figure unheedy haste.

And therefore is love said to be a child

Because in choice he is so oft beguiled.

(Shakespeare - A Midsummer Night's Dream - Act I Scene 1)

Beautiful poem.

I don't know you, I'm new, but welcome back.

:tu:

• Like 1

When a person learns to love, they risk the curse of hatred..

If you hold something close and dear, the worst fear is the fear of losing it..

Maybe they call it falling in love, because of the potential for you to fall..

I think romantic love is a Western thing, and erotic love is just lust.

The woman I married came from our ancestral village, was ten years younger than me, essentially illiterate, and, it turned out, had ADD (attention deficit disorder). She was chosen by my parents in an arranged marriage, and had never met me (I was in college in the States). We were married but didn't actually meet for over a year. What a wonderful woman, in spite of her inability to pay attention.

We were very much in love, but it was not romance and it was not lust. It was the affection that comes of sharing dangers and experiences and later raising children. Her death a dozen years ago left an empty place that will never be filled. Of course that sort of event we must always be prepared for.