Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Japanese Warship, Largest Since World War II

BiffSplitkins

YOKOHAMA, Japan -- Japan on Tuesday unveiled its biggest warship since World War II, a huge flat-top destroyer that has raised eyebrows in China and elsewhere because it bears a strong resemblance to a conventional aircraft carrier.

The ship, which has a flight deck that is nearly 250 meters (820 feet) long, is designed to carry up to 14 helicopters. Japanese officials say it will be used in national defense – particularly in anti-submarine warfare and border-area surveillance missions – and to bolster the nation's ability to transport personnel and supplies in response to large-scale natural disasters, like the devastating earthquake and tsunami in 2011.

Though the ship – dubbed "Izumo" – has been in the works since 2009, its unveiling comes as Japan and China are locked in a dispute over several small islands located between southern Japan and Taiwan. For months, ships from both countries have been conducting patrols around the isles, called the Senkaku in Japan and the Diaoyutai in China.

The tensions over the islands, along with China's heavy spending on defense and military modernization, have heightened calls in Japan for beefed-up naval and air forces. China recently began operating an aircraft carrier that it refurbished after purchasing from Russia, and is reportedly moving forward with the construction of another that is domestically built.

READ MORE

• Like 3

it was ridiculous that we expected them to keep to the constitution this long for the atrocities of the past but japan should be a bigger player on map and cant be taken seriously with out an army. china scares me more than japan.

• Like 1

Starting to sound a bit like the warship building race that went on between the UK, France and Germany prior to WWI...

• Like 2

Starting to sound a bit like the warship building race that went on between the UK, France and Germany prior to WWI...

China and India now have ex Soviet carriers. Sure they are no Nimitz etc, but certainly China is signalling some serious intent here. This Japanese one only carries helicopters, or maybe vertical take of jets in the future, but I would not be surprised if they could start building fleet carriers in very short time, without wooden flight decks this time.....

• Like 1

China and India now have ex Soviet carriers. Sure they are no Nimitz etc, but certainly China is signalling some serious intent here. This Japanese one only carries helicopters, or maybe vertical take of jets in the future, but I would not be surprised if they could start building fleet carriers in very short time, without wooden flight decks this time.....

Actually for their location and situation what they are doing is probably best... Anti-Submarine Warfare forces would be a major asset in those restricted waterways around Japan/Korea... (Plus they have the US Navy there in force as well)... Since they are not really in position to go gallivanting around the South or East Pacific in force any more, land based aircraft can cover what their Naval Air wing would normally cover...

• Like 3

I'm a bit surprised that they haven't expanded such capabilities before now.

• Like 3

I'm a bit surprised that they haven't expanded such capabilities before now.

Probably have but all minaturised, like bonsai trees. When time comes they put them in the water and they suddenly expand into a fleet of carriers. Then Yamato flies in from space and leads them to....

edit for those not knowing. WWII super battleship Yamato has been resurected for some years as a space battleship. Well, it's Japan, Hello Kitty and all sorts of stuff

Edited by Tutankhaten-pasheri
  • Like 2

No surprises really,China is thought to be in the process of building a second carrier.A case of everyone trying to flex their muscle.

• Like 1

Germans thinking they rule Europe and the Japanese building massive warships. What could possibly go wrong?

• Like 5

No surprises really,China is thought to be in the process of building a second carrier.A case of everyone trying to flex their muscle.

you mean upgrade, China buys a carrier and really upgrades it

What a curiously melodramatic tone in the story. it makes it sound as if it was a complete secret until now, and Japan has stunned the world by unveiling a new carrier strike force which is at this moment steaming towards Pearl harbor or something. They might be able to operate V/STOL jets from it, to be sure, but if it really has raised eyebrows (like this, perhaps :blush:) in China and elsewhere, their intelligence services can't have been very observant.

Although perhaps calling it a destroyer (as the hull number DDH183 would suggest) is trying to pull wool over people's eyes a bit. Perhaps that's because of these ridiculously outdated restrictions in the constitution that prohibit them from having anything that might be construed as an offensive weapon, perhaps.

Beat me to it lol.

I am guessing its tit for tat. If China has one then Japan has to have one. It could be preparation for future conflict. Maybe a mini arms race or ship making race. The sea there is full of resources and whoever has the best navy will probably control it..

Germans thinking they rule Europe and the Japanese building massive warships. What could possibly go wrong?

To quote Tom Lehrer in his song "The MLF Lullabye" (MLF= Multi-Lateral Force A song about arming the German Army with nuclear weapons in the 1960's):

"Once all the Germans, were warlike and mean.

But that couldn't happen again.

We taught them a lesson in 1918,

And they've hardly bothered us since then"...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

What the heck are you trying to say, if anything? No part of that befuddled comment makes any sense.

What the heck are you trying to say, if anything? No part of that befuddled comment makes any sense.

It's called having a laugh.

• Like 3

you mean upgrade, China buys a carrier and really upgrades it

They bought their first one and upgraded it and now they are thought to be building another one from Scratch.

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2013/08/02/is-china-building-another-aircraft-carrier/

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/24/us-china-navy-carrier-idUSBRE93N00Q20130424

It's called having a laugh.

Here? you must be joking :)

• Like 4

They bought their first one and upgraded it and now they are thought to be building another one from Scratch.

It's a versatile material, but this seems quite innovative. Some modern warships are built from alumin(i)um rather than the traditional steel, but I think this must be the first major warship to be built entirely from Scratch.

• Like 1

Your Japery,amuses me. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Probably wouldn't take much to convert it into a full aircraft carrier. But hey, best of luck to Japan, I hope it all works out for them.

They find another Mussolini to align themselves with...

They find another Mussolini to align themselves with...

Or Franco...