Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Curiosity learnt about Mars in a year

seeder

I did see a Happy Birthday Mars thread - but this is more about what its learned in the year its been up there Hope thats ok with the mods.

* 190 gigabits of data returned to Earth

* 36,700 full images and 35,000 thumbnails

* Laser sensor has fired over 75,000 shots

* Odometer shows more than 1,760m driven

"According to satellite imagery, this 5km (three miles) high peak has sediment layers at its base that look as though they were deposited in, or substantially altered by, water - a perfect place, everyone expected, to look for signs that Mars might once have had environments capable of supporting microbial life".

The first year of operations has seen Curiosity firmly establish the planet's past habitability potential - but not at Mount Sharp.

Such have been the geological treasures out on the crater floor that the rover has been able to fulfil its main mission objectives before even reaching its primary destination.

Just in the act of landing, Curiosity was able to uncover remarkable information about Mars' ancient history.

More

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23582000

• Like 1

thanx seeder, this was a really great read

• Like 1

thanx seeder, this was a really great read

No worries. Its one of my fave subjects to read about too. I followed the first 2 rovers blasting off and all they news they gathered too, its a totally addictive subject, for me at least!:

No worries. Its one of my fave subjects to read about too. I followed the first 2 rovers blasting off and all they news they gathered too, its a totally addictive subject, for me at least!:

yeah no doubt, lol for some wierd reason when i was watching prometheus yesterday you popped in my mind i was like "yo, that guy seeder on UM if he was with them on that planet hed yell at the alien guy for being a troll"

• Like 1

yeah no doubt, lol for some wierd reason when i was watching prometheus yesterday you popped in my mind i was like "yo, that guy seeder on UM if he was with them on that planet hed yell at the alien guy for being a troll"

hahaha! :clap:

Have you seen the Movie Europa yet though? I made a thread I was so impressed...

http://www.unexplain...a

anyways, this a Mars Rover thread so we do best to keep it on topic

Edited by seeder

Great topic!!!

I have been following too always eager to hear them confirm that life or proof of ancient life has been found.....but then...this is Nasa....maybe they have already discovered something and not telling us.

...maybe I read too many conspiracy sites?

lol

• Like 1

Great topic!!!

I have been following too always eager to hear them confirm that life or proof of ancient life has been found.....but then...this is Nasa....maybe they have already discovered something and not telling us.

...maybe I read too many conspiracy sites?

lol

erm yes I think you read too many biased or CT sites. Lots do, even I have, but NASA are not keeping any secrets, all the data is online, all discoveries are well publicized, plus dont forget, Pres Clinton went on live TV to say the meteorite they were studying, 'may' be proof of microbial life on past Mars. When he was still the Pres that is too, so, no, no-ones keeping secrets.

We will know if and when they do find 'anything' sensational, (or mundane), I assure you

eta: Plus bear this in mind, on earth our own archeologists are always digging deep to find ruins covered up in just a few hundred years, or a couple thousand years. DIGGING deep !

As Mars has been windswept and barren for thousands of years too, IF there was any ruins of anything, the rovers wont see it as will be buried in the muds and dusts of time

Like how the sphinx was once buried up to its neck in sand

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

erm yes I think you read too many biased or CT sites. Lots do, even I have, but NASA are not keeping any secrets, all the data is online, all discoveries are well publicized, plus dont forget, Pres Clinton went on live TV to say the meteorite they were studying, 'may' be proof of microbial life on past Mars. When he was still the Pres that is too, so, no, no-ones keeping secrets.

We will know if and when they do find 'anything' sensational, (or mundane), I assure you

I so want to believe you!!!

People will be visiting Mars soon....I wish I was younger, I would definitely put my name down to go...to step where no man has been before.

And just going a bit off topic here: Europa report is such a great movie!

• Like 1

I so want to believe you!!!

People will be visiting Mars soon....I wish I was younger, I would definitely put my name down to go...to step where no man has been before.

And just going a bit off topic here: Europa report is such a great movie!

Yeh a real great movie and that planet is a strong contender for life in reality!

I'd added the following to my above post and will add again here - as you maybe didnt see it when you replied

eta: Plus bear this in mind, on earth our own archeologists are always digging deep to find ruins covered up in just a few hundred years, or a couple thousand years. DIGGING deep !

As Mars has been windswept and barren for thousands of years too, IF there was any ruins of anything, the rovers wont see it as will be buried in the muds and dusts of time

sorry seeder ill stay on topic just wanted to let you know about the little giggle i shared at your expense lol and thanx for the other thread post

• Like 1

Yeh a real great movie and that planet is a strong contender for life in reality!

I'd added the following to my above post and will add again here - as you maybe didnt see it when you replied

Thanks, I did miss that......how interesting and true!

Do you believe there could be ruins there?

• Like 1

sorry seeder ill stay on topic just wanted to let you know about the little giggle i shared at your expense lol and thanx for the other thread post

No need for sorrys at all matey! I dont think I meant it how it might have been read! We can talk about what we want! Sometimes I may sound a 'certain way' and I do try working on it!! I have the finesses of a hippo!

• Like 1

No need for sorrys at all matey! I dont think I meant it how it might have been read! We can talk about what we want! Sometimes I may sound a 'certain way' and I do try working on it!! I have the finesses of a hippo!

lol nice

I followed the first 2 rovers blasting off and all they news they gathered too, its a totally addictive subject, for me at least!:

Erm I hate to tell you this but Curiosity is the FOURTH Mars rover. I suspect that you (like most people sadly) have forgotten Sojourner.

Thanks, I did miss that......how interesting and true!

Do you believe there could be ruins there?

Do I believe that... hmm, I guess Id 'like' to believe that, like lots would, but science tells us that Mars 'could' have supported microbial life, as the conditions were not perfect for much else, and microbes arent really much into building anything! But hey even proof of that kind of life - past or present will be amazing!

I think Sci-Fi films have just made us fascinated with the 'idea' of Martians and cities and saucers on the planet!!

So yes Id like to believe that, but the computers says NO!

Besides, until we can send a JCB digger up there to dig deep archaeological trenches, we just have no way to know.

• Like 1

Erm I hate to tell you this but Curiosity is the FOURTH Mars rover. I suspect that you (like most people sadly) have forgotten Sojourner.

Ah OK I see what you mean.

What I meant was... I personally, (was able) to follow Spirit and Oppourtunity blasting off and etc etc, and heres the reason, I was actually a PC user, and online by then!

Sojourner was 1997, and I first got a pc/online in year 2000. And with a terribly slow Geiger counter sounding dial up modem, that would take forever to load images. Remember those days?

So any space news was given once a week by Patrick Moore, or appeared briefly on the BBC telly news!! And that was if I didn't miss it

Since Ive been online tho, Ive followed most space news!

Remember those days?

Only too well.

So any space news was given once a week by Patrick Moore,

I wish. Sky at Night was once every 4 weeks.

or appeared briefly on the BBC telly news!! And that was if I didn't miss it

If there was a big space event due I'd set up the video recorder to tape the news so I wouldn't miss it due to minor inconveniences, like being at work.

Since Ive been online tho, Ive followed most space news!

I wonder how I used to get by without the interweb.

Do I believe that... hmm, I guess Id 'like' to believe that, like lots would, but science tells us that Mars 'could' have supported microbial life, as the conditions were not perfect for much else, and microbes arent really much into building anything! But hey even proof of that kind of life - past or present will be amazing!

I think Sci-Fi films have just made us fascinated with the 'idea' of Martians and cities and saucers on the planet!!

So yes Id like to believe that, but the computers says NO!

Besides, until we can send a JCB digger up there to dig deep archaeological trenches, we just have no way to know.

ha haha I never imagined Martians and flying saucers, but maybe beings more evolved than just bacteria. I think I do wish for Curiosity to find more than microscopical life forms. After all scientist confirm Mars WAS habitable in the past, we just haven't dug deep enough.

"NASA says, in that time, the rover has driven across more than 1.6 kilometers of Martian terrain. It has found evidence of an ancient stream bed and signs of wet conditions from multiple periods. NASA scientists say Curiosity has already answered the mission's core question: was ancient Mars capable of supporting simple forms of life, such as micro-organisms?

"Mars was habitable in its past," said Jim Green, director of the planetary division at NASA's Science Mission Directorate.

"We found all the ingredients of life as measured in this material that's deposited in this ancient riverbed," he said, referring to Curiosity's findings of hydrogen, oxygen and other elements.

http://www.voanews.com/content/curiosity-treks-into-second-year-on-mars/1724869.html"

ha haha I never imagined Martians and flying saucers, but maybe beings more evolved than just bacteria. I think I do wish for Curiosity to find more than microscopical life forms. After all scientist confirm Mars WAS habitable in the past, we just haven't dug deep enough.

"NASA says, in that time, the rover has driven across more than 1.6 kilometers of Martian terrain. It has found evidence of an ancient stream bed and signs of wet conditions from multiple periods. NASA scientists say Curiosity has already answered the mission's core question: was ancient Mars capable of supporting simple forms of life, such as micro-organisms?

"Mars was habitable in its past," said Jim Green, director of the planetary division at NASA's Science Mission Directorate.

"We found all the ingredients of life as measured in this material that's deposited in this ancient riverbed," he said, referring to Curiosity's findings of hydrogen, oxygen and other elements.

http://www.voanews.c...rs/1724869.html"

I totally agree Aggie ! This is why its so important for man to set Foot upon the Red planet ASAP ! Dig find some deep cave systems to explore,Put it to the Test ! The Hands,Eyes,taste test ! I do hope in my life time I can see this Evolve !

:tu:

• Like 1

! I do hope in my life time I can see this Evolve !

:tu:

And me.....I hope I can live long enough to follow the first human settlements too.