Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why We Evolved to Love Music

Still Waters

The question of why humans invented music—and continue to be enthralled by it—has long puzzled scholars. While some, including Charles Darwin, have guessed it grew out of a courtship ritual, recent research has focused on its ability to strengthen bonds within a community. Think military marches, or fight songs at a football game.

http://www.psmag.com...ve-music-63907/

• Like 1

Very interesting, and I agree: ever felt the magic when thousands sing at the same time at a concert?

To me music, love and food are the elixirs of life.

• Like 1

Did we really evolve to love music, though? Who can truly say humans (as a species) didn't like music from the beginning?

There are other species that enjoy music. I had a dog that would immediately start jumping around when I tirned the radio the same as he did when we went outside.

He may have been the minority, but there are also people who don't like music. Personally, I turned it on for him more than myself.

I have always said there are only two kinds of "real" magic in the Universe...

Mathematics...

and....Music.

(Which, coincidentally....it can be said that music is actually a mathematical expression...so...)

• Like 3

I have always said there are only two kinds of "real" magic in the Universe...

Mathematics...

and....Music.

(Which, coincidentally....it can be said that music is actually a mathematical expression...so...)

This is very true. In fact, children who play a musical instrumental are more likely to succeed in math later.

I think there is a musical formalism within the brain. We like sounds that are harmonious and follow a certain pattern. This is why the record industry makes a lot of money from crap music. All that's needed is a little harmony that follows a certain pattern.

I can listen to any modern-ish song and tell from the first 10 seconds where it's going to go from there. This ability saves me a lot of time, as I can skip most popular songs, already knowing how they go without having to actually listen to the whole piece of crap.

This is also why Beethoven's music is popular. What happens next in his music is just what we expect for us to feel good. This is a great compliment, as what happens next in popular music is just the opposite. Unless, of course, one has no experience with actual music.

It is not just us. Plants and animals also like music- there are studies that show they grow and perform better when music is played to them. But only classical though, rock music makes plants shrivel up and die.

• Like 1