Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Found after 40 years in the Vietnamese jungle

Still Waters

A father and son have been found living in the jungle of Vietnam four decades after they went missing during the country's war with the U.S.

Ho Van Thanh and his son Ho Van Lang apparently fled their home village 40 years ago after a bomb killed three members of their family.

They were discovered by locals looking for firewood in deep forest in the Tay Tra district of Quang Ngai province.

http://www.dailymail...e-40-years.html

• Like 4

Oh wow! Poor guys. They sure went through a lot. I feel for them. They had a normal life and then the war happened and their lives were drastically changed...I hope they live out the rest of their years peacefully and in good company.

• Like 1

Re-introducing them back into society isn't going to be easy. Especially the son.

Everything they see from now is a learning experience, imagine that. I would take them to the cinema to watch a scary horror film, to see the expressions on their faces, or a fair ground.

• Like 3

@eldorado pair of idiots? Is there something wrong with you? His family got killed during war and they escaped into the forest and got lost and survived there over 40 years of time ! You think you can do better ?

• Like 1

@Elderado. Wow. I guess if you're ever in a war you'll just lay down and die right after they murder your family.

Do you blame them for being scared and hiding out?

• Like 2

Jack asses like this is what is wrong with us. Their idea of education is a fouth grade history book they have no idea about Japanese soldiers holding out for 50 years, Russians, and other cultures who faced the real world. He is a good arguement for planned parenthood

I have many Vietnamese friends, they are smart, witty and compassionate. To live in the jungle that long you have to know all kinds of primitive technologies, you have to be a human tiger. Forty years, I couldn't even imagine that. El, stick your other foot in your mouth :P

• Like 3

Man these guys are legends in their own right. They did what most other people would find impossible and lived a life that didn't involve Coca Cola, McDonalds and constant advertising as well as all the other bullsh!t we're subjected to on a daily basis. i hope they realise they were better off and go back in there and live a happy life.

*snip*

Edited by Saru
Removed personal attack

Pair of idiots.

Why?

I feel bad for them both, the kid more so. Fair enough doing it due to the war but the father should have given his kid a choice.

Of course he can try to justify it but the fact that the brother found them 20 years ago is a little weird.

I'm sure that if the kid (at that time) knew his options, he would not have chosen to live in the wild like that.

• Like 1

Why?

I feel bad for them both, the kid more so. Fair enough doing it due to the war but the father should have given his kid a choice.

Of course he can try to justify it but the fact that the brother found them 20 years ago is a little weird.

I'm sure that if the kid (at that time) knew his options, he would not have chosen to live in the wild like that.

My post was out of order, Timonthy. I was probably in a mood when I wrote that. I can understand why they ran away to hide but hiding for 40 years is kinda crazy, imo. Still, I shouldn't have called them idiots. There but for the grace of God go I.

Apologies to all.

Edit for lousy spelling

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 5

@Eldo.. I see where you were coming from...

During the 40yrs, how many Enemy soldiers did they come across in comparison to local villagers. Surely they felt there was no need to hide after not seeing any enemy troops, the skies alone would have been quiet without all the Air support activity.

When did they last hear, gun fire, bombings.

There is a degree of stupidity on the fathers part in deciding to hide.

Edited by xsas
  • Like 1

The title of this thread is ignorant. There never was a war between Vietnam "and the US".

There was a war between North and South Vietnam, with the ex Soviet Union supporting one side, and the US the other.

In the end, the Sovjet Side had more patience (and no domestic voters to deal with), the US bailed, and the North won.

People really should read some history.

My post was out of order, Timonthy. I was probably in a mood when I wrote that. I can understand why they ran away to hide but hiding for 40 years is kinda crazy, imo. Still, I shouldn't have called them idiots. There but for the grace of God go I.

Apologies to all.

Edit for lousy spelling

All good I thought it seemed a bit out of character!

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23631738 :

'Vietnamese media reported that Mr Ho's brother succeeded in tracking the pair down 20 years ago, but had not been able to persuade them to return to modern society.'

I still want to know why the father didn't leave even after that...

• Like 1

The title of this thread is ignorant. There never was a war between Vietnam "and the US".

There was a war between North and South Vietnam, with the ex Soviet Union supporting one side, and the US the other.

In the end, the Sovjet Side had more patience (and no domestic voters to deal with), the US bailed, and the North won.

The "war with the US" reference is from the source news story, it didn't come from anyone here.

I've changed the description to reflect this.

• Like 3

no the North attacked the American bases

This is not the first instance of such a thing. People hiding out for decades, not knowing a war is over.

The new world will be a huge shock for them. Like out of a Sci fi movie.

I wish them well.

• Like 2

This is not the first instance of such a thing. People hiding out for decades, not knowing a war is over.

I wish them well.

'Vietnamese media reported that Mr Ho's brother succeeded in tracking the pair down 20 years ago, but had not been able to persuade them to return to modern society.'

• Like 2

I wish them well.

Japanese soldiers hiding out after the war, were pretty common stories although I haven't heard any stories like this for quite some time now.

I guess time is the answer to why, we don't get many now,

• Like 1

Wow. Really makes you wonder what's going to become of Lang - the 41 year old. It's sad. He would have been only 3 or 4 when the war ended and I believe he'd be a very isolated person within himself. But I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes fed up with the world and just wanders back into the jungle for the rest of his life, eventually. Unless there's a woman out there who's been looking for a "jungle man."

• Like 1

Man these guys are legends in their own right. They did what most other people would find impossible and lived a life that didn't involve Coca Cola, McDonalds and constant advertising as well as all the other bullsh!t we're subjected to on a daily basis.

What's worse is this bullsh!t complaining because of that others eat.
i hope they realise they were better off and go back in there and live a happy life.
Next time you get a life threating illness, let natural selection take you out. What a happy life that would be. Edited by Rlyeh

Wow. Really makes you wonder what's going to become of Lang - the 41 year old. It's sad. He would have been only 3 or 4 when the war ended and I believe he'd be a very isolated person within himself. But I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes fed up with the world and just wanders back into the jungle for the rest of his life, eventually. Unless there's a woman out there who's been looking for a "jungle man."

Seeing as he's now famous I think women showing interest in him is guaranteed. I just hope he has the sense to make the most of it. lol