Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
tapirmusic

2nd encrypted e-mail service shut down

12 posts in this topic

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/08/09/another-e-mail-service-shuts-down-over-government-spying-concerns/

A prominent supplier of secure communications services has decided to shutter its e-mail service to avoid having to turn over confidential customer information to the government. The move comes hours after another e-mail service provider called Lavabit made the same decision in order to avoid becoming “complicit in crimes against the American people” — likely a reference to government surveillance.

3 people like this

http://www.washingto...pying-concerns/

A prominent supplier of secure communications services has decided to shutter its e-mail service to avoid having to turn over confidential customer information to the government. The move comes hours after another e-mail service provider called Lavabit made the same decision in order to avoid becoming “complicit in crimes against the American people” — likely a reference to government surveillance.

Wow! Thats a very brave thing they did. Shutting down their company rather than having to be apart of the surveillance state... My hats off to them. :)

2 people like this

I wonder what would happen if such companies actually destroyed such servers prior to being "asked" for the data? I bet that if it isn't already a crime, it soon will be.

1 person likes this

At least there are 2 honorable and brave companies within the US. It seems they are the only 2, as all the rest will continue to do the government's dirty work.

Rumor has it that they may be able to continue, but will have to base outside the US? Rather like the online gambling companies had to do a few years back.

Big Brother is alive and kicking. :td:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

In President Obama's press conference last Friday, he admitted that some Americans might be concerned about what a future government might do with the capability the NSA now has.

In that same press conference he said that only non-"ordinary" citizens need be concerned.

Considering that in seven years, I've only said this about one city on earth, I guess that could make me one of "those."

The future will see many things that may not seem ordinary ...

Biggest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history - Detroit - July 18, 2013

2994386482_30309d494c_z.jpg?zz=1

2994386596_7b54d2c32d_z.jpg?zz=1

Edited by Raptor Witness

well, the solution is quite simple: send all e-mails encrypted with a key only the intended recipient has. Should solve that problem.

1 person likes this

well, the solution is quite simple: send all e-mails encrypted with a key only the intended recipient has. Should solve that problem.

I actually just signed up for my (free) encrypted off-shore email account last night. It works exactly as you described: when you want to send an encrypted message, you click the drop down menu, it will generate a unique encryption key that you give to your recipient. From then on, all your emails sent to that recipient will be encrypted with OpenGL (supposedly uncrackable). It offers end-to-end encryption, meaning that it also guards against your email being intercepted on the way to it's destination.

To make things easy, I just set my Gmail to forward all mail to my new account and not keep a copy. So far, so good. Very easy to use.

3 people like this

I actually just signed up for my (free) encrypted off-shore email account last night. It works exactly as you described: when you want to send an encrypted message, you click the drop down menu, it will generate a unique encryption key that you give to your recipient. From then on, all your emails sent to that recipient will be encrypted with OpenGL (supposedly uncrackable). It offers end-to-end encryption, meaning that it also guards against your email being intercepted on the way to it's destination.

To make things easy, I just set my Gmail to forward all mail to my new account and not keep a copy. So far, so good. Very easy to use.

Nothing is uncrackable... they will even, if they have to, implant a camera in your forehead to see what you are typing... but a mass exodus towards encryption will make the whole spying thingy much less attractive and very much limited to those they actually suspect of wrongdoing (instead of checking everybody).

1 person likes this

If it could really circumvent what the gov is trying to do then the PTB would just make it illegal.
1 person likes this

If it could really circumvent what the gov is trying to do then the PTB would just make it illegal.

Some things are illegal, but the guv can't control it.

1 person likes this

Can you imagine the NSA spending hours cracking a encrypted e-mail only to have it say, Aunt Jenny has hemorrhoids, or something like that....LOL :)

2 people like this

Can you imagine the NSA spending hours cracking a encrypted e-mail only to have it say, Aunt Jenny has hemorrhoids, or something like that....LOL :)

Exactly lol sure they might be able to crack any encryption, but the man hours involved, the resources you'd have to dedicate, all for one email of millions of other encrypted emails? Yeah, kind of throws a wrench in the plans lol