Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Waspie_Dwarf

Twin Study to Take Place on ISS and Earth

2 posts in this topic

One if by Land, Two if by Space: Astronaut Twins Tantalize Human Research Possibilities in Spaceflight

“Twin minds think alike” is not a common phrase in the public dialogue, but in the case of twin astronauts, it may someday become one. In a spark of astronaut, and possibly familial, curiosity, twin NASA astronauts Scott and Mark Kelly initiated an unprecedented research request to study the human effects of spaceflight using their identical twin genetic makeup. NASA’s Human Research Program (HRP) realized that another opportunity to study astronaut twins would be rare, and took the brothers up on their offer of genetic comparison in the name of human space exploration.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It Takes Two: A Year of Twin-formation and the Effects of Spaceflight on Individuals

What could twins tell us about the effects of spaceflight on humans? NASA hopes to find out. In a world as diverse as ours, it can be easy to forget that most humans are approximately 99.5 percent genetically identical. Identical, or “monozygotic,” twins are nearly 100 percent identical. What accounts for the differences we know exist? The remaining 0.5 percent of genetic real estate, which on the surface seems like a small amount, codes nearly all the characteristics that make us unique individual humans.

The complexity of individual differences makes it difficult for scientists to predict responses to disease, treatments or environmental stressors that apply across the entire human population. This is especially relevant to scientists studying the effects of spaceflight on the human body. Spaceflight may magnify the difference between individuals because it exposes crew members to stressors such as radiation, microgravity, isolation, confinement, and altered light/dark cycles. If this might be true for individuals who are genetically different, what does this mean for twins who are nearly identical?

arrow3.gifRead more...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.