Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
taniwha

Is Time speeding Up?

43 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Is time really speeding up or are our perceptions merely changing with time?

An interesting commentary here...

http://beforeitsnews.com/blogging-citizen-journalism/2013/04/is-time-speeding-up-2446594.html

accompanied by a fake Hawkings voice-over if you need....

[media=]

[/media] Edited by taniwha

Personally...I don't think "time" is speeding up...

It's your perception of time that is changing.

When you were 10 years old, 1 year was one tenth (10%) of your life....Man it felt like forever!

When you become 20, it was 5%...half the percentage of age 10

At age 40....wow...it's only 2.5 %....kinda small...

At age 50....2%

On and on...

As you "live" more years....each increment of life...be it a year, a month, a day or an hour...becomes a smaller and smaller measurement of your entire life experience and therefore your perception says it is moving by faster....

Just a thought.

Also...I find when I am really bored....time drags and when I'm busy....it flies. Go figure

4 people like this

Ask any 50 year old and you'll get a resounding YES!!!

4 people like this

My theory is that as you age the landmarks of your life become fewer and further between. This includes educational achievements, marriages, children arriving, changes of employment and residence. These are the things we measure time with, not years, in our reckoning, so as they become rarer time seems to accelerate.

1 person likes this

Yes it would seem our mindbology is perplexing however time speeding seems reliant on the Earth slowing, I wonder if there has been any calibration done recently to consider

if indeed our planet is winding down. :unsure2:

Posted (edited)

No in fact it's slower here on earth. The earth gravitational mass acts as like an anchor in a river. It's why we have to constantly re-align gps satellites with earth because they'd lose sync. Space passing faster in orbit than it does down on here on Terra Firma. According to Mr Hawking anyway.

Edited by krypter3

Time is not speeding up, but the amount of crap we are piling into each year is getting bigger, so years seem shorter.

3 people like this

My theory is, the Vulgarians who created our Universe bacame bored observing everything that is happening here, so they are speeding up time in our Universe so they don't have to waste so much of their time observing foolish Humans.

Why these Vulgarians would want to observe we Humans in the first place is yet one of the greatest and most mysterious questions in the entire Cosmos. Then again, maybe they just like reality shows.

I find the subject interesting, sadly I may just be getting old lol.

Getting old is still better than the alternative.

1 person likes this

It's all in the mind, Johnny.

1 person likes this

The author really needs to understand Einstein's relative time before using it to explain his perception of time.

The fact is if time was really speeding up or slowing down, he wouldn't notice it with the examples he's given.

Personally...I don't think "time" is speeding up...

It's your perception of time that is changing.

When you were 10 years old, 1 year was one tenth (10%) of your life....Man it felt like forever!

When you become 20, it was 5%...half the percentage of age 10

At age 40....wow...it's only 2.5 %....kinda small...

At age 50....2%

On and on...

As you "live" more years....each increment of life...be it a year, a month, a day or an hour...becomes a smaller and smaller measurement of your entire life experience and therefore your perception says it is moving by faster....

Just a thought.

Also...I find when I am really bored....time drags and when I'm busy....it flies. Go figure

Good analogy J65,

I guess thinking back to my youth, distances seemed greater and 2 or 3 hours travel lasted ages.

Playgrounds that I have revisited from my childhood memory are not the unending spaces I had imagined...

I wonder if there was no age limit if even the universe itself would become finite... Just whimsical thinking lol

I think it is that as we get older, we just get too busy. We have soooo much to fit into each day. I remember when I was little, my mom used to say that time goes fast. I'll be in school, longing for the December holidays and it felt like the holiday is still far away. I could not understand when she said that before I know it, it will be holidays. Didn't feel that way to me at all. Time seemed to drag.....But now, it's barely January and then December is on our doorsteps. I feel these days that there are only 2 days in a week...it seems to be Monday and then Friday..

1 person likes this

The author really needs to understand Einstein's relative time before using it to explain his perception of time.

The fact is if time was really speeding up or slowing down, he wouldn't notice it with the examples he's given.

It took Einstein a lifetime to grasp Einsteins perceptions of time

It took Einstein a lifetime to grasp Einsteins perceptions of time

Good for him, however I'm not talking about his perception of time.

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/einsteinlight/jw/module4_time_dilation.htm

Edited by Rlyeh
1 person likes this

A more relaxed perception of time...

It's all in the mind, Johnny.

Lol yes it appears that no-one seriously entertains the notion that time is infact speeding up towards a momentous standstill.

While researching I have found Time Perception a topic of intrigue... and as you say Mr O... Its all in the mind.

If I am rehashing old threads apologies but for any other Johnny come latelys out there interested in why time seems to fluctuate between fast and slow, then and now,near and far...

Watch these videos you wont be disappointed :tu:

AWESOME experiment...(unless you were a lab rat)...

Oh and here, why our concept of NOW may be a thing of the past...

1 person likes this

Now this is a long one, but really worth it.

*snip*

Edited by Saru
Video removed due to copyright
1 person likes this

I don't know if time is speading up or not, but it seems to me the brain is measuring its own internal rate of time, and not any external rates of time.

I think what is called the brain's perception of time is created within the brain itself for itself. What is the rate of time elapsing in the external universe independant from the Human brain? I think this would be impossible for us to measure, as any measuring device will eventually be observed by the brain itself, and that interval will be a perception created by the brain.

Good videos, guys.

1 person likes this

I think what is called the brain's perception of time is created within the brain itself for itself. What is the rate of time elapsing in the external universe independant from the Human brain? I think this would be impossible for us to measure, as any measuring device will eventually be observed by the brain itself, and that interval will be a perception created by the brain.

I think you can replace 'time' in that statement with countless other things, and it holds the same pertinence to reality. It's a really interesting thing to think about, and is a real ground shaker for how people see themselves, the world, and life.

1 person likes this

If space and time are linked... and the expansion of space, as some say, is accelerating ... might that have anything to do with it? A day seems shorter now. I don't know if it's age or if time is compressing .... time seems to take less time now . lol

1 person likes this

I think the fact that time seems to pass more quickly as we grow older is purely a psychological phenomenon. I've read several explanations, but I don't think anyone really know why this happens. It may be just a natural effect of the aging of the brain.

Time Perception: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_perception

In my view, as someone said earlier, if the universal rate of time were changing we wouldn't notice it, we being within that change.

Sometimes I write as though I know what I'm talking about. When I notice this I realize it's a personal danger signal. :unsure2:

1 person likes this