Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Time Warp While Driving

SSilhouette

Was on vacation this Summer driving with a couple of friends. The road into a camp we shared was very long, 20 miles one lane and treacherous. It took FOREVER to creep to the location. We lamented that the beauty of the place was beyond compare but the road was sheer hell!

We enjoyed the time but as the end of the vacation neared we dreaded the trip out. We would be in a caravan with people pulling trailers so the drive would be even longer than the 2+ hours we took getting there. When you meet people the other way you sometimes have to back up around hairpin turns on the edge of a cliff with no guardrail.

Anyway, we started going back out and within just about 15 minutes I had to pee really badly. We were at the end of the caravan so my driver stopped, I jumped out and peed a ton. I jumped back in and we took off at a slow catch up pace. About then the driver asked me to load the IPOD and play some music. So I did. About three songs later [15-20 minutes] I had to pee again! Really badly. It was absurd. I wondered if something was wrong with my kidneys or bladder infection? But I wasn't in pain. I begged the driver to consider pulling off again and he was not happy about it. We were just starting on some of the worst parts of the road and there was literally no place to pull off. I started looking for bottles to pee in and the other passenger freaked out and refused to be in the same car with someone peeing in a bottle..lol..

By this time about 40 minutes had passed tops. I was desperate. Don't know if you know the feeling of your bladder wanting to explode...very uncomforable! We turned the corner and we came upon a turnoff that was right by the beginning of the road? Luckily there was oddly a porta potty and I dove out of the car and sprinted for it. I peed as if I hadn't gone all day [just 20 minutes after peeing the same amount]. OK, apart from my bladder issues, my friends in the car were stunned that we were where we were. After traveling slower than when we came in, we were after just 40 minutes, at a place near the start of a 2 hour drive the opposite way. So we thought maybe it was just easier driving out? We went over and chatted with other members of the caravan as others took a potty break. They looked at us like we were from outer space. They said, "what do you mean? We've been on this road for over 1 1/2 hours...twice as long as we could account for with the music, songs' lengths and the very short stint we went at first before I had to pee.

All three of us in our car were CERTAIN we had only at top most experienced 40 minutes on that drive so far. The rest of the trip went doggedly as usual back home on highways etc so it wasn't like a mood we all were in or something. We've talked about it since and just can't believe it still. It was that remarkable. Another thing that happened was after the first time I peed and got back in the car, I kept telling my driver to make better time to catch up. He just drove woodenly and didn't look at me or speak to me where he usually snaps something back or jokes around. And he refused to speed up on a safe stretch with no hazards. It was like he froze and had become a robot. He snapped out of it a few minutes later. I think it was around that time that we "moved ahead" or lost time?

The thing about my bladder too works in with this theory. If we had been "somewhere else" for 45 minutes to an hour, that would explain maybe my bladder filling up so quickly again. I just don't have those problems and hadn't been drinking any amount of fluids out of the oridinary.

I joked around with one of my friends in the car recently and said that maybe we drove off the cliff and died and this is a parallel universe we are in where we all survived instead? It kind of gives me the chills thinking about that... I really did though feel like we slipped through a wrinkle in time. That road was one of those roads where you turn another corner and another and another and another...on and on and on and on and you keep thinking that you've gone a long way when you've only gone like half a mile.

Edited by SSilhouette
  • Like 6

Cool.... and Weird...

Errr, I don't have an explanation for this glitch.. Am sure that someone might go along the lines of where was this, are there lay-lines nearby, that kind of thing...... Another explanation that is just as out there could be Alien abduction... Did you hear anything unusual? Or sense any vibrations?

Edited by Professor T

I kept telling my driver to make better time to catch up. He just drove woodenly and didn't look at me or speak to me where he usually snaps something back or jokes around. And he refused to speed up on a safe stretch with no hazards. It was like he froze and had become a robot. He snapped out of it a few minutes later. I think it was around that time that we "moved ahead" or lost time?.

It does sound like something time warp happened, I think this part here describes the key moment when the driver is being robotic. Probably timelines switched up on you as well, and while it is not that uncommon for people to experience time-lines switching or being on the wrong timeline for small periods of time, what you experienced is much more than just that, and i wouldn't outrule the possibility of something like an abduction either.

I have experienced a journey taking considerably shorter the time than it should as well, so i simply know it can happen. It took us about 45 -50 mins and should have taken close to 2 hrs. The weather was very bad which goes against the 'logic' of the whole thing because the road conditions and visibility factor was forcing us to go even slower than normal.

Anyway, the sensitive/empath side to me has me feeling very scattered and unclear, scarmbl3ed and jumbled up when connecting and replying to this.

• Like 1

That's happened to me a couple of times while I was driving, too. I once made it from Washington, D.C. to Baltimore, MD in 10 minutes, despite traffic. Another time I made it from D.C. to Annapolis, MD in about fifteen... No way, even at 70-90 miles per hour (which is how fast I was driving) are those times normally possible. I do remember that I was concentrating very hard, like your friend. It seemed "I" was hardly aware of what was going on around me. It was very weird. I sure didn't experience those times on the way back, though.

• Like 2

Strange.

I do know that, for humans at least, the perception of time can be closely tied to what is, or is not, changing around or within them.

A false "time dilation" has been noted with prisoners in extreme solitary confinement.

Or something as simple as dreamless sleep, where one wakes-up 8-hours later but momentarily feels it's been, say, much shorter.

It's also been said that, while at work, if one keeps busy, time seems to go by fairly quickly. If not busy, time seems to "drag on"

So I guess I don't know whether the experience of the OP was "real" or psychological.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments. Keep them coming!

There are a couple of things to consider with me especially. I'm weird. But anyway, I had to pee so bad the second time and the resistance in the car to allowing me to pee in a bottle was fierce and I simply couldn't jump out of the car to pee because there was literally nowhere to do so at that time. I wonder if I willed the trip shorter and it "happened"? I was at the choice of an exploding bladder on a bumpy road [death], or making it to a place where I could pee. What was really odd was that just days before when we passed that intersection coming in, there was no porta potty there. It was all fresh and new too, clean, fully stocked with ample TP. Like it was "made to order".

The "weird" part of me is this: http://www.unexplain...r

I thought this type of stuff was over and had ended because I've been feeling better lately. But actually come to think of it, while we were heading out I was very tired from losing lots of sleep on a very uncomfortable "camp bed" for several days. I kept waking up every 15 minutes and turning to get comfortable.

As for alien abductions, I do have an account about that for lost time as well, but this felt differently. We saw nothing unusual, nothing strange, didn't hear anything. The only thing strange was my driver looking wooden and not responding. Very not like him. And also very not like him to speed up when he had the chance. He's a bit of a drag racer in practice. I got the feeling like when I was looking at him and talking to him, repeatedly trying to get a response, that it was as futile as looking at a movie screen and trying to get the actor to respond to me. Something in me just told me "don't bother, he won't respond to you". This is eerily similar to my doppleganger experiences from the link above when I was trying to get the girls to pick up the phone...yelling at the top of my lungs and they just simply didn't respond at all. Like we occupied two different universes next to each other but separated by a veil.

My actual experience of what you might be tempted to call an "alien abduction" was when I was young, 14. We used to visit a desert on the weekends where my granparents stayed in the Winter for my grandmother's breathing issues...she needed the dryness. We had to maintain the "yard" with occasional waterings throughout the hot season when they weren't there. One day in late Spring when it was getting really hot, I went out to a large field with a ditch in it that nobody went to in order to lay out for about 20 minutes after breakfast, naked, to get some "full sun" and not have tan lines. So I disrobed, layed down in the wash on my towel and closed my eyes from the glaring sun. Suddenly, I woke up and I could not see the sun anymore. I quickly glanced behind me to see that it was setting down behind the mountains to the West. I froze and began to feel a cold sweat. I realized that I had fallen asleep for many many hours in the full desert sun, without any sunscreen. I didn't want to look down. I was petrified that I might have to go to a burn clinic. Slowly I looked down at my chest and belly only to freeze once again and feel a cold sweat. I was white as a sheet, as when I first went out earlier in the morning! No sun at all on my body. At that point something in my head said "look up". I did and I saw what looked like an commercial jet fusilage flying by in the air. Fairly close too. It was silver, cigar shaped. I strained to see any tail piece or wings and I couldn't see any. Moreover, it wasn't making a sound which I thought was unusual. It caught the glint of the setting sun behind me and instead of moving it seemed to hover there. I remember wondering why it didn't simply fall to the ground? I blinked and tried to find it again but it was nowhere in the sky. It simply vanished.

I had heard about alien abductions at the time and wondered if this might be what happened to me? As I made it back to the house just in time for dinner, my whole family was freaking out and ready to call the police and send a search party for me. I lied and told them I'd went for a walk in the desert, found some shade and fell asleep. [They'd never believe from my color that I fell asleep all day in the sun]. The next day when I was lying around the pool getting burned in about a half hour there, I noticed a couple of odd things. In two spots that started becoming more apparent as my skin changed color were a couple of new scars I never noticed I had. Teenagers are constantly scanning their bodies for imperfections! Just to the right of my navel was a thin white scar that had never been there before. Also on my wrist, still visible today is a strange tiny triangular, what looks like a burn scar. Neither of those were present before. The scar on my belly has faded into wrinkles and so forth.

True story. Don't know what to make of it. Like I said, weird is a normal thing for me.

Edited by SSilhouette
  • Like 2

It does sound like something time warp happened, I think this part here describes the key moment when the driver is being robotic. Probably timelines switched up on you as well, and while it is not that uncommon for people to experience time-lines switching or being on the wrong timeline for small periods of time, what you experienced is much more than just that, and i wouldn't outrule the possibility of something like an abduction either.

I have experienced a journey taking considerably shorter the time than it should as well, so i simply know it can happen. It took us about 45 -50 mins and should have taken close to 2 hrs. The weather was very bad which goes against the 'logic' of the whole thing because the road conditions and visibility factor was forcing us to go even slower than normal.

Anyway, the sensitive/empath side to me has me feeling very scattered and unclear, scarmbl3ed and jumbled up when connecting and replying to this.

I agree about the wooden driver part. It seemed "key" to the time loss somehow...?

Amazing stuff... esp the other thread..

The missing time & the splits and divergence in time lines is way over my head in any knowledge or experience.. The alien abduction relates to the missing time theme, but I doubt you'll find any answers there, though there seems to be a correlation..

The only insight I can glean is "stutters" & "hiccups" which I guess at a higher consciousness level could cause these kind of things to manifest.. (I am only guessing or reaching at this point) but... A conscious stutter might cause splits and divergences in time causing doppelgangers. A conscious hiccup might account for missing time. Am thinking that these stutters and hiccups are also just a symptom of something else that takes your focus and uses it to warp time/reality around you.

Food for thought I hope.. :)

Yes, those are some good insights. I've noticed that some people's wills are more 'influential' than others. Some people can even light fire, bend spoons and such with their minds. You hear of accounts where people almost died but then found themselves yards away from the accident by complete mystery. Once I read an account where this one guy had extremely vivid memories of having died the day before in a car accident but also having been "saved" by a team of netherworldly surgeons. He went to the place where he 'imagined' he had died in the accident and there were tread marks just like his car tires and a huge impact scar on an embankment like a car smashed into it....very recently, like the day before. He said the accident clearly looked very serious, fatal even from the scar on the land. Yet there were no reports of an accident in that locality. There were other odd details, something about his car afterwards that was the same but not quite the same? Weird memories that his friends had of where he was at that time that didn't quite add up.

Our experience in the car was like that. It was like "well you need to pee really bad and your bladder is going to burst so we'll just fast forward you to this location where there is a porta potty and shave 45 minutes off your drive time to get there". I still have the vision of my driver's wooden face, an automatron. It was almost two dimensional like a painting or a screen actor, then he snapped out of it and became three dimensional again. Like that.

Edited by SSilhouette
  • Like 1

I've read in a few books accounts that are similar.. Back in the 1800's there was a man who could bi-locate seemingly at will, but only for short lengths of time. Essentially he could create a doppelganger. He used this ability several times to convey messages to his fiance in England..(I recall one instance where the fiance was terrorized because the doppelganger was wooden, dead or unfeeling) Also there's numerous accounts of Bilocation that can be found in stories of deathbed visitations where someones will or intention has outweighed physical limitations.. There was a famous case of this where an imprisoned priest appeared at the deathbed of a pope 1000's of miles away from his prison cell.. Perhaps some research into Bilocation might help you understand this or give up a clue.. I think too, that peoples will or intention is likely key to this, and in your cases there does seem to be instances where you've been in two minds about performing some sort of action, and unwillingly both minds have somehow managed to bi-locate..

There's many way's you can examine this driving instance.. Time Warp... Teleportation.. Inter-dimentional Star Trekiness. Your wooden faced driver does sound like a clue, or mask... To me it sounds like the instance where everything snapped back into place after "Whatever it was" happened.. Either way, it's a case of missing time that is utterly fascinating because in this 3rd dimension we're left wondering what happened to the last hour? Where were we? Why can't I remember? Which ironically if you did slip into another dimension the question of duration or time might be mute.. Anyway, just for giggles, I think the aliens fed you too much coffee in the waiting room.. That'll explain the bladder..

I've read in a few books accounts that are similar.. Back in the 1800's there was a man who could bi-locate seemingly at will, but only for short lengths of time. Essentially he could create a doppelganger. He used this ability several times to convey messages to his fiance in England..(I recall one instance where the fiance was terrorized because the doppelganger was wooden, dead or unfeeling) Also there's numerous accounts of Bilocation that can be found in stories of deathbed visitations where someones will or intention has outweighed physical limitations.. There was a famous case of this where an imprisoned priest appeared at the deathbed of a pope 1000's of miles away from his prison cell.. Perhaps some research into Bilocation might help you understand this or give up a clue.. I think too, that peoples will or intention is likely key to this, and in your cases there does seem to be instances where you've been in two minds about performing some sort of action, and unwillingly both minds have somehow managed to bi-locate..

There's many way's you can examine this driving instance.. Time Warp... Teleportation.. Inter-dimentional Star Trekiness. Your wooden faced driver does sound like a clue, or mask... To me it sounds like the instance where everything snapped back into place after "Whatever it was" happened.. Either way, it's a case of missing time that is utterly fascinating because in this 3rd dimension we're left wondering what happened to the last hour? Where were we? Why can't I remember? Which ironically if you did slip into another dimension the question of duration or time might be mute.. Anyway, just for giggles, I think the aliens fed you too much coffee in the waiting room.. That'll explain the bladder..

Yes. The deathbed visits come to mind. A person I was once dating had a brother who went to the Vietnam war. His fiance reported that twice she saw him standing on her front porch while he was certainly stationed overseas. She said he looked freaked out. It's possible he willed himself to be home. Very traumatic for him. Sadly, he committed suicide while home on leave. That's how bad he didn't want to go back.

The old "coffee in the alien waiting room eh"?...lol I was sure drinking something during that "disappeared" hour.

• Like 1

The only other thing I can think of, which I've been reminded of, is screen memories..

The Driver, wooden, in automation, almost two dimensional like a painting or a screen, then snapping out became three dimensional.. It sounds possible that what you remember here could be a screen memory. Perhaps there is some truth hiding behind the screen?

Yes. Maybe. All I know is that the time we arrived at the turnout near the end of the journey was about 45 minutes way too short, experientially. We weren't even chatting that much so the time seemed to pass like can sometimes happen. The road was just as treacherous, we were even going slower in a caravan with people pulling trailers in front of us, being extra careful and wham! Just like that the trip was over way too early. If it was 20 minutes, half hour and we were clipping along at a really good pace, then I simply wouldn't have posted this thread...wouldn't be remarkable. But if anything, instead of the 2 hours coming in, our slower pace going out should've been more like 2 1/2 hours, instead of the 45 minutes we could account for with the songs on the IPOD and the mere 20 minutes before we turned that on.

I sure was glad it turned out like it did. And all with a brand new porta potty in the middle of literally nowhere all fresh and stocked up with TP just ready to use right when I needed it....that wasn't there when we came in just a few days before?

Very interesting story and great responses so far. I'll have to check back on this thread as far-out as it seems...: )

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I spoke with the driver and he remembered the incident perfectly. He is still as stunned as I am the time loss. I asked him particularly about the stretch where he seemed wooden. He looked at me oddly. I urged him to remember just after I peed the first time and got back in the car and started telling him to hurry up. He didn't remember it. He said he was "zoned out" feeling for that particular stretch. I must have looked right at him and told him to speed up a little about 10 times so there's not a chance he missed it. But he didn't recall it at all. And he sure acted like he couldn't hear a word I was saying. It was actually getting annoying because I thought we would lose the people in front of us and we were trying to stick together in case we came upon people coming the other way and could pass them in a caravan. Very narrow road and we would maybe have to back up on treacherous stretches and our rig was large too. Wasn't looking forward to that.

He just had no recollection of my urging him to go faster. The other passenger seemed vaguely aware of me saying that but also kind of fuzzy on it.

• Like 2

• 6 years later...
On 8/11/2013 at 4:26 AM, brlesq1 said:

That's happened to me a couple of times while I was driving, too. I once made it from Washington, D.C. to Baltimore, MD in 10 minutes, despite traffic. Another time I made it from D.C. to Annapolis, MD in about fifteen... No way, even at 70-90 miles per hour (which is how fast I was driving) are those times normally possible. I do remember that I was concentrating very hard, like your friend. It seemed "I" was hardly aware of what was going on around me. It was very weird. I sure didn't experience those times on the way back, though.

I had to be home in a half hour when I was 45 minutes away from my house of the suburbs of Detroit Michigan...I drove roughly around five minutes away from the house that I was working at and I realized I was lost and it took me a couple minutes to realize that I was right by my house which would be physically impossible because I just 20 miles away just a few minutes ago ..... Matt From Pontiac Michigan

Just now, Mathew Curtis said:

I had to be home in a half hour when I was 45 minutes away from my house of the suburbs of Detroit Michigan...I drove roughly around five minutes away from the house that I was working at and I realized I was lost and it took me a couple minutes to realize that I was right by my house which would be physically impossible because I just 20 miles away just a few minutes ago ..... Matt From Pontiac Michigan

• 3 weeks later...

Oh nose!  Time warps clearly are real, otherwise why would the last poster (double) necropost 6 years later?

FTR, 'losing' time as you drift off and think of other stuff is common.  Evidence of same *actually happening* is very rare.   So rare as to be completely non-existent.

• Like 1

I have to confess I`ve experienced the Time Warp While Driving effect by myself. It happened during a test ride with a DUCATI Panigale V4.

• 1 year later...

I am so happy to have found this thread. I am still trying to understand what happened to myself and my friend. Last Thursday, we left Wrightsville Beach at 6:55 PM. I was on a Zoom call that started at 7:00 PM. Highway 40 takes us back to Cary, NC, and I drove until I was on empty, about 40 minutes to Wallace, NC. I pumped the gas, got something from the store and got back in the car. My friend sent a text to his friend when I got back in and we began to drive. I made the mistake of getting on the highway going the wrong way. I went 40 East, which was going back towards Wrightsville Beach. Now, this is when it/something happened. We got on the highway at 7:48, that's when my friend sent the text message. We drove for a very very long time. We were the only ones on the highway, which this is a major highway so that's not normal and it was 7:50 PM on a Thursday night, AND...THERE WERE NO EXITS...NO TOWNS...only grass and trees. None of this dawned on me while I was driving...none of it. So, we're driving, not knowing were going the wrong way and I eventually see a sign that says, New Bern. It didn't say, "next exit," or "15 miles,"...just a square sign that said New Bern. We keep driving a little way more and then we saw a sign that said Wilmington/Myrtle Beach, so my friend says, "we're going the wrong way." So, now I've got to turn around. All of a sudden there were cars and exits, but the exits looked like they were leading to other highways, so I kept driving until I saw something that looked like an exit with an easy turn around. I eventually saw lights ahead of us so I thought we could make our turn. Do you know I was back in Wrightsville Beach! Back on N. College Rd. Okay, this is when we were like wth! I look at the clock and it's 8:03 PM. We checked every damn clock we could! That's not possible right, because we just left Wallace at 7:48 PM, so how the heck am I now in Wrightsville Beach in only 15 minutes!! We were supposed to get home at 9:15 PM, but instead we got home at 10:00 PM. We lost 45 minutes and I have no idea where it went. I was on the Zoom call but at one point the phone glitched and the screen disappeared. I had to open all apps and close all but the Zoom call. This is all timestamped. 45 minutes of our lives went somewhere. I drove for what felt like a long time and thought I was close to home but ended up back in Wrightsville, which I accidently went the wrong way, but that's not the issue. The concern is how the heck did we arrived back to Wrightsville Beach in 15 minutes. I am soooo glad someone was with me. I don't think anyone would have believed me. I can't believe it and it happened to ME! I need answers... LOL

Edited by Taborah

On 8/11/2013 at 5:58 AM, SSilhouette said:

Was on vacation this Summer driving with a couple of friends. The road into a camp we shared was very long, 20 miles one lane and treacherous. It took FOREVER to creep to the location. We lamented that the beauty of the place was beyond compare but the road was sheer hell!

We enjoyed the time but as the end of the vacation neared we dreaded the trip out. We would be in a caravan with people pulling trailers so the drive would be even longer than the 2+ hours we took getting there. When you meet people the other way you sometimes have to back up around hairpin turns on the edge of a cliff with no guardrail.

Anyway, we started going back out and within just about 15 minutes I had to pee really badly. We were at the end of the caravan so my driver stopped, I jumped out and peed a ton. I jumped back in and we took off at a slow catch up pace. About then the driver asked me to load the IPOD and play some music. So I did. About three songs later [15-20 minutes] I had to pee again! Really badly. It was absurd. I wondered if something was wrong with my kidneys or bladder infection? But I wasn't in pain. I begged the driver to consider pulling off again and he was not happy about it. We were just starting on some of the worst parts of the road and there was literally no place to pull off. I started looking for bottles to pee in and the other passenger freaked out and refused to be in the same car with someone peeing in a bottle..lol..

By this time about 40 minutes had passed tops. I was desperate. Don't know if you know the feeling of your bladder wanting to explode...very uncomforable! We turned the corner and we came upon a turnoff that was right by the beginning of the road? Luckily there was oddly a porta potty and I dove out of the car and sprinted for it. I peed as if I hadn't gone all day [just 20 minutes after peeing the same amount]. OK, apart from my bladder issues, my friends in the car were stunned that we were where we were. After traveling slower than when we came in, we were after just 40 minutes, at a place near the start of a 2 hour drive the opposite way. So we thought maybe it was just easier driving out? We went over and chatted with other members of the caravan as others took a potty break. They looked at us like we were from outer space. They said, "what do you mean? We've been on this road for over 1 1/2 hours...twice as long as we could account for with the music, songs' lengths and the very short stint we went at first before I had to pee.

All three of us in our car were CERTAIN we had only at top most experienced 40 minutes on that drive so far. The rest of the trip went doggedly as usual back home on highways etc so it wasn't like a mood we all were in or something. We've talked about it since and just can't believe it still. It was that remarkable. Another thing that happened was after the first time I peed and got back in the car, I kept telling my driver to make better time to catch up. He just drove woodenly and didn't look at me or speak to me where he usually snaps something back or jokes around. And he refused to speed up on a safe stretch with no hazards. It was like he froze and had become a robot. He snapped out of it a few minutes later. I think it was around that time that we "moved ahead" or lost time?

The thing about my bladder too works in with this theory. If we had been "somewhere else" for 45 minutes to an hour, that would explain maybe my bladder filling up so quickly again. I just don't have those problems and hadn't been drinking any amount of fluids out of the oridinary.

I joked around with one of my friends in the car recently and said that maybe we drove off the cliff and died and this is a parallel universe we are in where we all survived instead? It kind of gives me the chills thinking about that... I really did though feel like we slipped through a wrinkle in time. That road was one of those roads where you turn another corner and another and another and another...on and on and on and on and you keep thinking that you've gone a long way when you've only gone like half a mile.

When you want something to happen, and you slip into running on autopilot mode (like when you are tired and first wake up), does it happen?

Edited by Cookie Monster