Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is the Human Race Insane?

MiskatonicGrad

Imo, modern people are insane ... meaning that perception (collective and individual) is severely impaired / distorted, patterns of thought are conditioned and unexamined, emotions are reactive, and belief systems (conscious or unconscious) are delusional. This combination triggers behaviors that are destructive and even dangerous to the species and all living beings. It's a form of schizophrenia or autism or pathological narcissism. 

The most obvious symptom of this insanity is the pervasive pathological alienation / dissociation from the natural systems (terrestrial and celestial) within which we are innately embedded ... an alienation that is causing us to destroy the thin fragile layer of life here in Earth that the human species depends on for sustenance and survival. 150k species are going extinct annually and accelerating, with 2/3 of all species projected to be extinct in just 85 ish years (end of the century). This psychosis is also evident in our alienation from the ecosystem that is our own body (and in our misperception that our bodies exist separate from the natural systems that we're embedded in, at the effect of, and dependent on) ... causing epidemics of poor health and disease, both physical and mental. This is particularly disturbing when emerging research regarding the transgenerational epigenetic effects of pesticides / chemicals / pharmaceuticals and the severe disease states they're associated with is acknowledged ... ignoring / denying the obvious implications of this research is justification enough for a collective diagnosis of psychotic. That this rapid degeneration of all interdependent / interrelated natural ecosystems is taking place nearly entirely unnoticed is further evidence of a collective psychotic state that manifests in nearly all individuals.

Unexamined heterosexual breeding habits are another obvious symptom of this psychosis of alienation ... 7 billion now, 9 billion in just 40ish years, 13 billion by the end of the century ... mindless of the toll that this runaway breeding is taking on the ecosystem that gives birth to us and protects us. 

The list of symptoms is endless ... our cities, our medical system, our nukes, consumer slavery, our modern mythologies / narratives, our prison system, our education system, our fear of death, etc ... 

“The major problems in the world are the result of the difference between how nature works and the way people think.” 

— Gregory Bateson

“Modern society is in an extreme, pathological state of rupture from the reality of the natural world, as is indicated on a daily basis by the ecological crisis. There is, moreover, little public recognition that this crisis is indeed a psychological one.”

— Andy Fisher

Edited by No Solid Ground
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, No Solid Ground said:

Imo, modern people are insane ... meaning that perception (collective and individual) is severely impaired / distorted, patterns of thought are conditioned and unexamined, emotions are reactive, and belief systems (conscious or unconscious) are delusional. This combination triggers behaviors that are destructive and even dangerous to the species and all living beings. It's a form of schizophrenia or autism or pathological narcissism. 

The most obvious symptom of this insanity is the pervasive pathological alienation / dissociation from the natural systems (terrestrial and celestial) within which we are innately embedded ... an alienation that is causing us to destroy the thin fragile layer of life here in Earth that the human species depends on for sustenance and survival. 150k species are going extinct annually and accelerating, with 2/3 of all species projected to be extinct in just 85 ish years (end of the century). This psychosis is also evident in our alienation from the ecosystem that is our own body (and in our misperception that our bodies exist separate from the natural systems that we're embedded in, at the effect of, and dependent on) ... causing epidemics of poor health and disease, both physical and mental. This is particularly disturbing when emerging research regarding the transgenerational epigenetic effects of pesticides / chemicals / pharmaceuticals and the severe disease states they're associated with is acknowledged ... ignoring / denying the obvious implications of this research is justification enough for a collective diagnosis of psychotic. That this rapid degeneration of all interdependent / interrelated natural ecosystems is taking place nearly entirely unnoticed is further evidence of a collective psychotic state that manifests in nearly all individuals.

Unexamined heterosexual breeding habits are another obvious symptom of this psychosis of alienation ... 7 billion now, 9 billion in just 40ish years, 13 billion by the end of the century ... mindless of the toll that this runaway breeding is taking on the ecosystem that gives birth to us and protects us. 

The list of symptoms is endless ... our cities, our medical system, our nukes, consumer slavery, our modern mythologies / narratives, our prison system, our education system, our fear of death, etc ... 

“The major problems in the world are the result of the difference between how nature works and the way people think.” 

— Gregory Bateson

“Modern society is in an extreme, pathological state of rupture from the reality of the natural world, as is indicated on a daily basis by the ecological crisis. There is, moreover, little public recognition that this crisis is indeed a psychological one.”

— Andy Fisher

mic drop on that one... well played sir... well worded... and well played.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Based on an article I read( my own experience) there are different modes or types to consciousness that are safe at least in concept. but only when you do it from a place of peace, a mind in health, and being able to handle it. insane, zen, sanity, sane, and insanity.

and if your wondering why insane is there... it's because a positive version of it is a creative flow like Picasso. As in creativity.

Edited by Luxord

On 4/13/2017 at 11:08 AM, Frank Merton said:

America is compassionate?  Would you please repeat that -- I didn't quite get it.

What is there to get?  As a country the nation shows a lot of compassion.  Broadcast a few pictures of starving children and the money rolls in.

15 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

What is there to get?  As a country the nation shows a lot of compassion.  Broadcast a few pictures of starving children and the money rolls in.

And the odds are high that America's foreign policy plays a central role in creating the starvation. 

It's not a question of human(not a race, but species) sanity.  It's all about sustainability.  If ANY species becomes overpopulated, or environmentally omnipotent, it degenerates and dies off until balance is restored.  We are the only species that attempts to transcend natural order.  We are rewarded for our efforts with designer drugs, super-bugs, and confusion about our personal state of existence.

• Like 1

I don't think the human race is in much danger.  Life spans are increasing, the population is stabilizing, and most people except those with little sense see designer drugs, appropriately tested, as a boon, all with the rest that scientific progress gives us.

If we are confused about our personal state or afraid of super-bugs rampaging everywhere, well, you seem to be.  Not much I can do except tell you to get professional help.

• Like 1

There was a book written in the late 60s named "The Naked Ape" that was written by zoologist and ethologist Desmond Morris that looked at humans as a species and compared them to other animals.

I personally think it would have been better named "The CRAZY Ape!" 

Mankind seems to be unable to exist without killing whatever form of life it is near. It seems to especially like to kill other people and any near retaliative species. There are lots of different bears and cats and most other lines of critters but man has killed off any other branches of the hominids and tried for centuries to wipe out any other men that are not US. Even when people were few in numbers and scattered far apart they would travel thousands of miles to kill some strangers for no real reason. Sadly even within a small group or society we can't long resist killing someone...generally for being a little different. Any peaceful people that we met were wiped off the earth. Given enough time I suspect that we will sterilize our planet. 

Edited by DanL
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, DanL said:

There was a book written in the late 60s named "The Naked Ape" that was written by zoologist and ethologist Desmond Morris that looked at humans as a species and compared them to other animals.

I personally think it would have been better named "The CRAZY Ape!" 

Mankind seems to be unable to exist without killing whatever form of life it is near. It seems to especially like to kill other people and any near retaliative species. There are lots of different bears and cats and most other lines of critters but man has killed off any other branches of the hominids and tried for centuries to wipe out any other men that are not US. Even when people were few in numbers and scattered far apart they would travel thousands of miles to kill some strangers for no real reason. Sadly even within a small group or society we can't long resist killing someone...generally for being a little different. Any peaceful people that we met were wiped off the earth. Given enough time I suspect that we will sterilize our planet. 

I think humanity is overall an improvement.  There does not exist an animal that won't automatically kill (if possible) anything that endangers it.  Even trees try to kill other growth around it that might compete with it for resources.

Humans are the only species that worries about this and has moral debates on the subject.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

I think humanity is overall an improvement.  There does not exist an animal that won't automatically kill (if possible) anything that endangers it.  Even trees try to kill other growth around it that might compete with it for resources.

Humans are the only species that worries about this and has moral debates on the subject.

The difference is that humans will travel thousands of miles to kill strangers that were/are not any sort of threat to them. What threat were the Caribbean natives to Europe or the Tasmanian natives or the Native Americans? For that matter what threat were the people in Europe to the people in Mongolia and China? In general if you will look at history very few wars START as a result of a threat. They usually start with a basically unprovoked attack on a weaker neighbor that then escalates as other countries get involved. Poland was no threat to Germany to start WW2 just as Kuwait was no threat to Iraq to start Desert Storm. In the future wars are going to be fough for far more real reasons as population pressures start to push the crazy ape into fights for food and arable land but mostly in the past most war related deaths were for meaningless aggressive empire building led by mad men.  

Yeppers men have all kinds of moral debates...and then gleefully go out and kill each other after figuring out a way to morally blame it on the poor people that they are going to kill. The Catholic Church went with the various conquistadors and "saved" millions from their evil pagan faiths. In America Europeans helped the Native Americans become "Civilized" Christians. They did the same for the Australian natives as best they could. Humans have an amazing ability to find "moral" reasons to do whatever they want to do. I'm sorry I just don't find that ability very admirable. The beast may do bad things but it doesn't know it. Humans KNOW and then do it anyway. The fact that they "worry" doesn't make their victims feel better I assure you. 

Edited by DanL

10 hours ago, DanL said:

The difference is that humans will travel thousands of miles to kill strangers that were/are not any sort of threat to them. What threat were the Caribbean natives to Europe or the Tasmanian natives or the Native Americans? For that matter what threat were the people in Europe to the people in Mongolia and China? In general if you will look at history very few wars START as a result of a threat. They usually start with a basically unprovoked attack on a weaker neighbor that then escalates as other countries get involved. Poland was no threat to Germany to start WW2 just as Kuwait was no threat to Iraq to start Desert Storm. In the future wars are going to be fough for far more real reasons as population pressures start to push the crazy ape into fights for food and arable land but mostly in the past most war related deaths were for meaningless aggressive empire building led by mad men.  

Yeppers men have all kinds of moral debates...and then gleefully go out and kill each other after figuring out a way to morally blame it on the poor people that they are going to kill. The Catholic Church went with the various conquistadors and "saved" millions from their evil pagan faiths. In America Europeans helped the Native Americans become "Civilized" Christians. They did the same for the Australian natives as best they could. Humans have an amazing ability to find "moral" reasons to do whatever they want to do. I'm sorry I just don't find that ability very admirable. The beast may do bad things but it doesn't know it. Humans KNOW and then do it anyway. The fact that they "worry" doesn't make their victims feel better I assure you. 

This is all true enough and may be our undoing.  Still, I would rather have the problems than be unaware.

I don't think the human race is insane, we are expressing our naturally evolved humanness.

Edited by StarMountainKid

2 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

I don't think the human race is insane, we are expressing our naturally evolved humanness.

Actually, I think humanity as a whole has made massive improvements in itself over the last couple centuries.  Poverty has been greatly reduced and concern about the welfare of the elderly, handicapped, children, and of course the poor has increased and more and more is being done.

Also, moral standards have improved.  Slavery is not seen for the evil it is, as is most forms of prejudice, although pockets of racism and sexism and homophobia remain and there remain far too many men who think it their right to rule and abuse women.

Attitudes about our environment and the rights of both domestic and wild animals, with sincere interest in preventing extinctions, has become far more an issue than before, with real progress being made, in spite of many who still believe old myths about humanity being given dominance.

Finally, superstitions and intolerant religion seems to be decreasing, and in many countries now the clerical class has very little influence.  This has to be good when you think about all the harm self-righteous clerics have done.

• Like 1

My statement that we are expressing our naturally evolved humanness covers a lot of diverse behavior. I don't mean it necessarily in a negative way.  Our capacity for moral behavior and our capacity for immoral behavior are both natural behaviors for human beings.

What we may consider sanity is only perspective. A Nazi SS officer would consider benevolent behavior a form of insanity, I would presume. However, the SS officer's behavior is also natural human behavior, the benevolent peaceful guy's behavior is also naturally human.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2017 at 7:16 PM, StarMountainKid said:

Or are we expressing our devolved savageness? 

On 5/23/2017 at 6:26 AM, DanL said:

Right. And we're killing off 150k species annually (and accelerating) with two thirds of all species projected to go extinct within the next 80 ish years. It's the rare person that understands what this extinction rate potentially represents in terms of risk for the human species ... and it's the even rarer person who cares. Degrading and destroying the ecological system that we depend on for sustenance and survival ... knowing that we're doing it ... and not caring ...justifies a diagnosis of ecopathic personality disorder or maybe a form of schizophrenia. 

It's incredible, the horrors a man, or woman, or child will inflict on another living being, a space, or a thing... when they have convinced themselves they are justified.

• Like 2

Insane? Not entirely. The CEO / psychopath studies floating around out there are fairly interesting though.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2013 at 4:29 PM, MiskatonicGrad said:

Are we as a race insane? As a follower of history I have seen a striking pattern emerge namely "we as a race keep doing the same stupid stuff and expect a different result!"

Any history teacher will tell you empires go through certain cycles that lead to their downfall and they all go through the EXACT same cycles.

If you do a side-by-side comparison of the roman empire during it's decline say 200 AD to 400 AD and USA right now you would scratch you head a wonder the same thing.

So again are we Insane or just stupid and can't learn from history?

The best way I can sum this question up is to say the old phrase that Mark Twain said, ("The more I get to know people the more I like my dog!) In my opinion that is the  truest saying I have ever heard.

• Like 1

Most people, it is true, are not very likable.  They judge others all the time with a self-righteous smugness, and get all riled if someone not from their group does something bad, but excuse the same thing from those like them.  We are not naive -- we know how things are -- but we don't judge but just go on.  Their karma is their business and there is very little one can do to help them, in many cases, nothing.

• Like 1