Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

Belief in Precognition Helps People Cope

8 posts in this topic

Predicting the future may be impossible, but that doesn't stop many people from believing that some have the power to do so.

In fact, a new study finds people are more prone to believe in prognostication when they feel their lives are out of their own control, suggesting that faith in paranormal forecasting provides a kind of coping mechanism for humans.

http://uk.news.yahoo...78.html#IKPa6xN

3 people like this

Perhaps to some this is why but I wouldn't say all. I first believed in Precognition because of this dream below. And I will never forget it.

It does occur though.. well I believe in it for sure. I can only guess as to why it happens though. I once had a very vivid experience with it. I dreamt once that a friend of mine was standing up on a stage, like on a small black theater. The stage was just off the side of the road on the footpath. Anyway the lights were kinda on my friend who was walking around in a daze. I went up on the stage with my girlfriend at the time and tried to talk to him but he wasnt making any sense.. he was like a walking zombie and I noticed that I could see though him. He was like a ghost. When I noticed this a ambulance man came up to me and was very sad and asked me to please leave him so that he could talk to my friend. I understood and I walked off stage and the dream ended.

Anyway I told all my friends(20/30 of them)the next day that I thought I had dreamt of this friend dying. They all laughed and said 'they wish' because he owed them all money and it was a laugh for abit and it was just another one of 'my dreams' shared again.

Anyway he died in a car crash with another friend about 3 days later. He was decapitated in the crash and the person who found him(first tended the scene by coming across it by chance)was an ambulance driver who was actually his father. It was very sad because the father found his own son like that. It was horribe.

I dont know why I dreamt that dream but it mighta been because we were kinda blood brothers(in a more modern sense lol). We were not close friends though.. we just shared.. this one time.. just before the dream. I'll leave it at that.

First posted here. http://www.unexplain...0

And I should add that I didn't know this kid that well. I never went to his house and I don't even know where he lived. I never knew what school he went to or had any idea what his father did for a living, until afterwards. So I call him a friend but he was more of a friend of a friend.

Anyway so yeah, I believe because of experiences like that.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I have to admit that the precognition both fascinates & disturbs me..

The whole idea of predetermination is a bit spooky. I like to think that my life is not some predetermined play, that the choices I make determine my future.. Yet there's plenty of evidence to support predetermination and the ability to tap in and check out a few pages ahead of time..

It kind of makes these that folk who's lives are out of control would cope better in thinking that their circumstances were predetermined. There's plenty of futures out there, but only one will become solid/real, and that real future is made in the now..

Edited to add: I guess that kind of makes the now more important than the future..

Edited by Professor T

Posted (edited)

Highly emotional events may be like ripples in a pond that is not bound up by time. I have notice everyone unusually aware of their dream life all have precog story's. Confirmation bias ? I doubt it. Shaman and mystics have been aware of it since time immortal. The problem with science accepting it, is that it is unpredictable. All scientific theory's rely on predictions to validate them, and some people are so fundamentally stuck in their world view that nothing outside of an empirically validated theory can possibly be true.

Edited by White Crane Feather

I've always thought that people whose lives feel out of control want the security of knowing there's a path through the thicket. I also like the idea that maybe what we're thinking of as precognition is really forethought.

I am trying to figure out the dream I had last night. Maybe it was a precognitive one. In my dream, I was repeatedly told that I am a sleeper agent. :devil:

I don't believe things are predetermined...

I believe people can see a possible future..but how that event unfolds..

and the outcome are still in your hands by the choices..

and actions you take...

I think 99.9% of people will say they have had a dream come true or had some kind of deja vu situation where they credit "knowing" something was going to happen.