Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

N.C. sued soon after voter ID bill

Jeremiah65

http://www.cbsnews.c...igned-into-law/

"North Carolina Gov. Patrick McCrory has signed a sweeping voting reform bill that imposes strict photo identification requirements on the state's 4.5 million voters, rolls back the early voting period and repeals one-stop registration during early voting.

Almost immediately following the signing, civil rights groups filed lawsuits in federal court challenging the law.

McCrory, a Republican elected last November, called the bill - passed by the legislature along party lines on July 25 - "a common sense law" that is supported by 70 percent of North Carolinians polled.

"Common practices like boarding an airplane and purchasing Sudafed require photo ID, and we should expect nothing less for the protection of our right to vote," McCrory said in a written statement. Defending the law in an on camera statement

, he criticized opponents' "from the extreme left" for using "scare tactics."

Good for North Carolina. The Supreme court is already on their side.

I said this not long ago. How can you contribute to society these days without legal identification? In most cases, you cannot.

Voting is a special right and we should be honored to have it and be happy to do whatever it takes to keep it fair and legal.

I do not have a single problem with these laws and I hope they sweep the nation.

You have to have ID to cash a check.

You have to have ID to operate a motor vehicle.

You have have ID to board an airplane.

(On most cases)You have to have an ID to get a job...unless they pay cah under the table, you will need it to cash your paycheck.

What if you are walking down the street and a brick falls from a building and knocks you unconscious...might be nice to have ID so the authorities and emergency services can contact family.

The left argument is just stupid. If you do not have an ID, chances are, you are milking and bleeding the system to begin with...maybe you should get your ID if you want to participate...if you choose not to, I take that as saying you choose to keep your own voice silenced.

My opinions

Edit to add...

When I transferred my license from Maryland to Virginia last year, I signed up to vote. I have a voters registration card AND a valid, state issued ID. This is not hard people...it's an excuse the left is using to find faults with perfectly acceptable clarifications. Especially considering the 11 million illegals milking our system...no, you do not get to vote to continue the bleeding...

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 3

We have to prove who we are here in Oz, and voting's compulsory here. Mind you, it's often as easy as saying "I'm Fred Bogan from Oak Avenue" but you can be asked for ID if the invigilator's being prissy or you don't look like a Fred.

• Like 2

I just don't understand the left's logic on this....You have to show your ID for pretty much everything, why not voting? It sure would cut down on fraud.....

• Like 1

I just don't understand the left's logic on this....You have to show your ID for pretty much everything, why not voting? It sure would cut down on fraud.....

But there are those that want to believe that there is no fraud...at least that has proven. I like the analogy "Do you wait till your house is robbed before you start locking your doors at night?"

The left wants to keep the state fed herds at the voting booth...legal or not, they do not care...as long as their side wins. I say...you cannot be a productive part of society without an ID...period. If you want to keep your free gravy train a rollin'...get a damn ID or shut up and live with it.

Edit to add:

By the way, you can get a "free" state issued ID if you do not drive. No excuses...

"But whaa!...what if they cannot get to the DMV?"...

Where there is a will, there is a way...bet they can find a ride to social services when they need to renew benefits...

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 2

By the way, you can get a "free" state issued ID if you do not drive. No excuses...

I support voter ID laws, but only if what you said is true in that state. It is not currently true in my state and many others.

• Like 1

There are places, such as Philadelphia in the last election and Seattle and St. Louis in recent gubernatorial elections that looked to be close and suddenly a lot of Democratic votes appeared from people who had never before voted.

For the most part voter fraud is probably minuscule, but I think some of the machines find it a useful tool to call on when needed. The problem I see is that voter ID requirements may be used in some places to deny blacks the right to vote. We will see.

• Like 2

I support voter ID laws, but only if what you said is true in that state. It is not currently true in my state and many others.

That is becoming a stipulation of the ID requirements. IF the state is going to make it mandatory then a state issued ID (not a drivers license) has to be available for free. At least in the cases I have been made aware of. I cannot say that absolutely for sure in all cases.

I live in Virginia and back in March, they passed a voter ID law here as well. Included in the legislation was the free state ID for non drivers.

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 2

I think a national ID card, such as we have in Vietnam, would cause an uproar in the States, although it does solve a lot of problems and is free (unless you lose it too often).

• Like 2

There are places, such as Philadelphia in the last election and Seattle and St. Louis in recent gubernatorial elections that looked to be close and suddenly a lot of Democratic votes appeared from people who had never before voted.

For the most part voter fraud is probably minuscule, but I think some of the machines find it a useful tool to call on when needed. The problem I see is that voter ID requirements may be used in some places to deny blacks the right to vote. We will see.

I see what you are saying Frank, but I do not think it will happen. My state, as I said above, also implemented a photo ID requirement...but they are giving photo ID's away. Yes, you have to get to a local DMV and have the proper credentials...birth certificate, proof of residence, etc. Not a huge requirement. I think it is something "good" for people. Now there is no reason for people to not have an ID as they are free.

• Like 1

I can guarantee that even if we don't have a problem with denying blacks or any other person the right to vote the left will scream racial inequality. they complain enough when the states pass these laws wait till they implement them.

I'll say it again if you care so little about voting that you can't get a simple I.D. then maybe you shouldn't vote.

Edited by MiskatonicGrad
  • Like 2

The lack of an ID will be the reason to deny anyone a vote, not just blacks. Or is it only a problem if a black person is denied? Because that's the problem I see with statements like that.

• Like 1

(On most cases)You have to have an ID to get a job...unless they pay cah under the table, you will need it to cash your paycheck.

who uses checks?

not everyone drives.

Not everyone flys.

Not all jobs require an ID.

What if you are walking down the street and a brick falls from a building and knocks you unconscious..

as a libertarian you are all wet. We do NOT require your papers just to be walking outside. maybe your really NOT a libertarian.

When I transferred my license from Maryland to Virginia last year, I signed up to vote. I have a voters registration card AND a valid, state issued ID. This is not hard people.....

for some people it IS REALLY HARD. I'm sorry you can't see that. Not every one has all the advantages you have.

How can it be used to stop blacks from voting? All they have to do is show an ID card and they can vote. That's like saying being forced to show an ID card to board is airplane is a method used to stop blacks from flying.

• Like 2

who uses checks?

not everyone drives.

Not everyone flys.

as a libertarian you are all wet. We do NOT require your papers just to be walking outside. maybe your really NOT a libertarian.

for some people it IS REALLY HARD. I'm sorry you can't see that. Not every one has all the advantages you have.

A LOT of people still get a paper paycheck.

Not everyone drives but the states requiring photo ID's are giving them away fro free. Driving is irrelevant and I said that had you actually read all the posts before spouting off.

I don't fly either...I don't like getting felt up by the Neo Gestapo.

Nearly all legitimate jobs now require ID and a background check. If they are paying cash under the table like they do for most illegals...it won't matter...but they don't deserve the right to vote until they get citizenship AND a free, legal ID.

The brick anaolgy was not about papers please...

It was about if you are injured and they have no way of knowing who you are or an adress to find your next of kin.

No, it's not hard. How many people can always manage to find a ride to the Social Services office when it's time to renew but can't seem to get a ride to the local DMV? BS...

And I am so Libertarian...I tolerate stuff like this

Edited by Tiggs
Removed flamebaiting.
  • Like 2

oh, please, that is a weak straw to grab, if you can't afford an id, you got to be on public assistance, and welfare office (state agency) issues free id.

• Like 3

who uses checks?

not everyone drives.

Not everyone flys.

Every legal job requires you to have a Social Security Number or legal work Visa. So you can see that every legal job in this country does reuire you to have something, so why shouldn't voting?

You are not required to carry ID with you, but it is a good idea in case something happens to you (unless you are engaged in unlawful activity, of course :whistle: ).

Is not "really hard" for anyone to get an ID Hell it isn't every just "hard". It is very simple and easy. It doesn't require any advantages. I sorry that you believe it does.

• Like 3

A LOT of people still get a paper paycheck.

that must suck.. but actually I was thinking about PAYing with a check

Not everyone drives but the states requiring photo ID's are giving them away fro free. Driving is irrelevant

The cost is one thing. Getting there is another.

Nearly all legitimate jobs now require ID and a background check.

notice that you said "nearly". When it's 100 percent. THEN you can say it's not an issue.

The brick anaolgy was not about papers please...

It was about if you are injured and they have no way of knowing who you are or an adress to find your next of kin.

I'm aware of what you meant but it's a slippery slope to requiring papers.

No, it's not hard. How many people can always manage to find a ride to the Social Services office when it's time to renew but can't seem to get a ride to the local DMV?

when you are disabled and can't get out or find someone to do that or physically can't do that, then you'll understand.

Every legal job requires you to have a Social Security Number

will they let you vote with that??? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Is not "really hard" for anyone to get an ID Hell it isn't every just "hard". It is very simple and easy.

It CAN be incredibly hard and difficult. It's just that you live in your own world.

It CAN be incredibly hard and difficult. It's just that you live in your own world.

??? are you serious how can it be hard to get an I.D.? If you are crippled and can't get out how are you going to vote? if you are unable to fill out the paper work how can you cast a vote? how did you register to vote? if you can fill out that paper work I would hope you can fill out the paperwork to get an ID unless you are not who you say you are?

If you with your shaky grasp on reality can get an ID then anyone can get an ID.

Voting is not a God given right even though the Dems want us to think so. personally I think there should be a test involved but I will settle for an ID.

Any fraud disenfranchises the entire system.

• Like 3

personally I think there should be a test involved but I will settle for an ID.

Any fraud disenfranchises the entire system.

Lets see how good you are at this real literacy test used in the past.

http://www.crmvet.or...ittest-orig.pdf

I'll save you the trouble of actually showing your answers, you failed. It was made so everyone taking it would fail, and it was only given to black people. Thats why there are no test today. You talk of fraud, and yet you want one of the biggest tools used in the past to commit just that.

Edited by Odin11

Lets see how good you are at this real literacy test used in the past.

http://www.crmvet.or...ittest-orig.pdf

I'll save you the trouble of actually showing your answers, you failed. It was made so everyone taking it would fail, and it was only given to black people. Thats why there are no test today. You talk of fraud, and yet you want one of the biggest tools used in the past to commit just that.

In fairness though, that was a fraudulent test. It was posted here a while back. A test given today would have to be so squeaky clean and mind numbingly easy by demand of political correctness and a desire to dull the wits of the country as a whole.

• Like 2

sure it can, if you are a compleate <<Snip>>. in that case you really have no buissnes voting anyway.

Edited by kmt_sesh
Inappropriate term
  • Like 4

sure it can, if you are a compleate <<Snip>>. in that case you really have no buissnes voting anyway.

Trust aztek to break it down so simply...LOL

:)

Edited by kmt_sesh
  • Like 3

http://www.cbsnews.c...igned-into-law/

"North Carolina Gov. Patrick McCrory has signed a sweeping voting reform bill that imposes strict photo identification requirements on the state's 4.5 million voters, rolls back the early voting period and repeals one-stop registration during early voting.

Almost immediately following the signing, civil rights groups filed lawsuits in federal court challenging the law.

McCrory, a Republican elected last November, called the bill - passed by the legislature along party lines on July 25 - "a common sense law" that is supported by 70 percent of North Carolinians polled.

"Common practices like boarding an airplane and purchasing Sudafed require photo ID, and we should expect nothing less for the protection of our right to vote," McCrory said in a written statement. Defending the law in an on camera statement

, he criticized opponents' "from the extreme left" for using "scare tactics."

Good for North Carolina. The Supreme court is already on their side.

I said this not long ago. How can you contribute to society these days without legal identification? In most cases, you cannot.

Voting is a special right and we should be honored to have it and be happy to do whatever it takes to keep it fair and legal.

I do not have a single problem with these laws and I hope they sweep the nation.

What if you are walking down the street and a brick falls from a building and knocks you unconscious...might be nice to have ID so the authorities and emergency services can contact family.

The left argument is just stupid. If you do not have an ID, chances are, you are milking and bleeding the system to begin with...maybe you should get your ID if you want to participate...if you choose not to, I take that as saying you choose to keep your own voice silenced.

My opinions

Edit to add...

When I transferred my license from Maryland to Virginia last year, I signed up to vote. I have a voters registration card AND a valid, state issued ID. This is not hard people...it's an excuse the left is using to find faults with perfectly acceptable clarifications. Especially considering the 11 million illegals milking our system...no, you do not get to vote to continue the bleeding...

You now have to show photo ID to buy nail polish remover in New York State.

But yet showing an ID to vote is somehow voter suppression?

• Like 3