Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Egypt declares national emergency

Still Waters

Mubarak has been released 'temporarily' (but not acquitted) of two specific charges:

-Receiving gifts illegally from the state-owned Al-Ahram institute during his tenure as Egyptian president. He paid 18 million to cover gifts he received since 2005, the issue of gifts received before 2005 remains.

- Financial corruption related to the renovation of presidential palaces during his rule.

He was sentenced to life in prison last year for failing to prevent the killing of demonstrators. His appeal was accepted by court earlier this year and a retrial was ordered. There were no written orders issued to kill demonstrators, many documents were shredded, burnt, or lost. That makes the case against him difficult to prove in a court of law.

I don’t think he will be released; probably there will be another list of charges awaiting him. “Mubarak had been released pending investigations over other charges but has remained in custody as he is still facing trials over multiple other charges of murder and corruption, including this case. “ His, and his family's assets are still sequestered and they are still not allowed to leave Egypt.

In any case he is 85, and his health is very poor, I do not see him playing any political role in the future. His lawyer, Fareed El Deeb, is considered to be the ‘cleverest’ lawyer in Egypt, however, he found an even better lawyer in Mursi!

Mubarak had a tacit agreement with the MB, leaving the door ajar for them to run for parliamentary elections as ‘independent’; allowed them to organize, and run their ‘charity’ network, undeterred. Under his rule they actually fared better than other secular opposition parties or figures.

edited for clarification

He paid back 18 millions for gifts he received? I wonder how much of the 18 million came from aid money the US was giving Egypt since Camp David to befriend Israel which in reality should have gone to local government institutions, hospitals etc. to improve welfare and social conditions for the poor and needy.

I believe it was estimated he had assets and wealth worth something close to 15 billion dollars, most of it amassed under other corrupt practices and bullying his way into profitable business deals. A true dictator. I hope we don't end up glorifying these criminals just to counterbalance religious extremism.

Democracy and Justice should start from making an example out of him. The guy and his family should be tossed into the can and left to rot.

Edited by Black Red Devil

the Coup goverment in egypt blames The Muslim Brotherhood and hold them responsble for the water floods in Sudan

the Coup goverment in egypt blames The Muslim Brotherhood and hold them responsble for the water floods in Sudan

Very funny!

The people of Egypt and THEIR government are holding the Muslim Brotherhood responsible for murder, arson, a pogrom, and a campaign of terror in EGYPT against their own people. Shooting unarmed people in the back like what happened in Rafah to 24 young men aged between 21 and 24 is an inexcusable act of cowardice. While 67 politcemen were killed and their corpses mutilated and hung on lamp posts or dragged by cars in the street, 67 churches burnt, 3 nuns raped and paraded as prisoners of war, houses and businesses as well as governorate buildings torched all over Egypt, faculty of engineering at Cairo University demolished, army posts are attacked in Sinai on daily basis, foreign terrorists from Chechnya, Gaza, Sudan and Syria are recruited to attack both civilians and security forces....yet you have no comments to say about any of that but find the sense of humor to make such a joke to dismiss the MB's criminality?!

What you fail to realize is that the people of Egypt are fed up with the MB and no amount of Islamist propaganda or pressure from foreign countries, Arab or not, will change that. They lost not only credibility but respect too.

• Like 1

Very funny!

The people of Egypt and THEIR government are holding the Muslim Brotherhood responsible for murder, arson, a pogrom, and a campaign of terror in EGYPT against their own people. Shooting unarmed people in the back like what happened in Rafah to 24 young men aged between 21 and 24 is an inexcusable act of cowardice. While 67 politcemen were killed and their corpses mutilated and hung on lamp posts or dragged by cars in the street, 67 churches burnt, 3 nuns raped and paraded as prisoners of war, houses and businesses as well as governorate buildings torched all over Egypt, faculty of engineering at Cairo University demolished, army posts are attacked in Sinai on daily basis, foreign terrorists from Chechnya, Gaza, Sudan and Syria are recruited to attack both civilians and security forces....yet you have no comments to say about any of that but find the sense of humor to make such a joke to dismiss the MB's criminality?!

What you fail to realize is that the people of Egypt are fed up with the MB and no amount of Islamist propaganda or pressure from foreign countries, Arab or not, will change that. They lost not only credibility but respect too.

ohh really ? then who are the people protesting against the military coup everyday ? citizians of mars ?

you can put it in any kind or adorned way you like

and it won't change the fact that dictatorship is back in egypt

brought the modern day crusaders and secular groups who thrive under the shadows of dictatorships

and always did on the expense of muslims special previlages special treatments

so spare me this " egypt people " talk .. egypt people protest everyday and oppressed everyday

by the way .. an new research showed that the pro-coup protests to put out Morsi were not 20 milion !

it was 4 million person AT MAX

google denied ever giving a number .. which Tamoroud thugs and coup goverment smirked and said it was 20 million

google denied ever giving number of protestors

2- aljazeera channel made special research caculated the size of the areas of all those protests asking morsi to step down

they gathered space and gave 4 people to each 1 square meter .. and guess what ? 4 million it was the maximum ability of those places to withstand

but again am not surprised by egypt new media they're following footsteps of syrian channels lol .. good luck with fooling people

with such dumb channels " egypt fighting terrorism " is their sign lol .. " egypt creating dictatorship " should be more like it

the helicopter fly over tahrir square to take pictures .. but fly over raba square to shoot people

egypt people should take up arms and fight back like we did and mark my word .. they will

and before i forget .. the coup goverment lat mubarak free ... they're longing to their dictator master ? :D

"brought the modern day crusaders and secular groups who thrive under the shadows of dictatorships"

This phrase alone exposes all about your position and your ideology. There is no need to reply to any of the rest of your post, it is just the regular run of the mill fundamentalist MB 'one size fits all' propaganda. You have nothing to answer any of the facts I mentioned except the habitual tired clichés of 'dictatorship' 'crusaders'....you didn't even address any of the crimes mentioned above! You only forgot to end your post with the usual finalé of most MB comments:"by the way I am not 'Ikhwan' (MB)"!

Whether you capable of grasping it or not, the MB have committed political suicide in Egypt. They have become such an alienated minority that today in their rally in Sherabeyya, Cairo they chanted "the PEOPLE, the army, and the police are a dirty hand' instead of the common refrain "one (united) hand"; they differentiated between the MB and "the people". Today's 28 'million-man' rallies were a dud, what do think brought about this new failure? They lost Egyptians of all faiths and classes.

Let's stop beating around the bush, Mursi's Jihad in Syria is dead. You are kicking a dead horse, the Egyptian army and people will never fight your wars in Syria. Whether you like Sisi and the army or not is irrelevant, the vast majority support them. As an Egyptian I am flattered that while civil war rages in your country, you still managed to find the time to write in three different threads about Egypt and the 'crusaders' (it's a bit late for this delusional fixation don't you think? You missed the Mongols' 'conspiracy' while you're at it. They did more damage to the Islamic world, and the Caliphate the MB are dreaming of,than your pet peeve the Crusaders). It says a lot about the sad state of political thought in the Middle East when such extreme opposites as Crusaders and secularists are jumbled together in a conspiracy theory instead of accepting responsibility for structural and political failures. There really should be a Monty Python film about this fantastic "Secular-Fundamentalist-Crusader Front" :D

Read this article to get a reality check on the representation of the MB in Egypt now:

"Egypt's bruised Brotherhood fails to show street power"

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/23/us-egypt-protests-idUSBRE97M0DW20130823

while i didn't like the MB performance, and i thought morsi didn't have a character of a president, i still prefer them over the old style dictatorship you are bringing back to Egypt

• Like 1

while i didn't like the MB performance, and i thought morsi didn't have a character of a president, i still prefer them over the old style dictatorship you are bringing back to Egypt

your post will be overlooked and you will be called MB follower :D look above

your remember how we started ? protests like now in egypt

then military crack down on us .. like now in egypt

then we fought back .. like soon will be in egypt

a Revolution is not accomplished by protests and demands on the hope dictators will answer your demands

Revolutions are accomplished by strength and arms to " Force " dictators to let you free with the boots on dictator neck

that's how Revolutions are done and egypt people are going to reliaze that sooner or later

there is no such thing as peaceful revolution it never fixes anything and no lession will be learned

instead you will see those supporters " who previously benfited " from the corruptions of dictatorship goverments

cheering up for dictators and dancing on the corpses of people .. twisting facts to their liking

the truth will always come out .. and the people can never be oppressed forever

your post will be overlooked and you will be called MB follower :D look above

your remember how we started ? protests like now in egypt

then military crack down on us .. like now in egypt

then we fought back .. like soon will be in egypt

a Revolution is not accomplished by protests and demands on the hope dictators will answer your demands

Revolutions are accomplished by strength and arms to " Force " dictators to let you free with the boots on dictator neck

that's how Revolutions are done and egypt people are going to reliaze that sooner or later.

I have no problem with revolution* for the sake of individual liberties, tolerance and respect. But the 'revolutions' in Syria and Egypt cannot be compared in such terms.

In Syria, while you may personally have the desire for, and are fighting for, those 3 fundamental aspects of a free and civlised society, the reality is you'll probably end up with (assuming the rebellion succeeds in ousting Assad) an Islamist govt which will implement Koranic Law and actually inhibit the freedoms of many of those who are fighting for it. While you, being Muslim, and perhaps many of those fighting for the end of Assad's reign may not be inconvenienced by Islamic law becoming more prominent, that attitude would exhibit a hypocrisy towards the fight for those freedoms. This is hypothetical, I would like to stress, and while I appreciate my opinion may cause you some offence, it is intended to instead promote careful thought about the consequences of what is happening.

In Egypt, however, while the govt there may indeed fall back into dictatorship/fascism - it will at least be a secular form of that and will not inhibit the freedoms and rights of the people by imposing religious ideology as law. An interview from an Egyptian intellectual I viewed online spoke of his concern that they faced now a choice between two evils after the revolution that took down Mubarak. But that the majority of Egyptians were willing to choose what they viewed as the lesser of those two evils - the secular dictatorship - and work towards a free secular society. He viewed what is happening in Egypt as the start of the changes to come, not their conclusion.

So, the situations in Egypt and Syria are only superficially similar.

*Obviously, I wish such actions were not necessary as they bring much suffering, pain and grief - which I deplore.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 1

I have no problem with revolution* for the sake of individual liberties, tolerance and respect. But the 'revolutions' in Syria and Egypt cannot be compared in such terms.

In Syria, while you may personally have the desire for, and are fighting for, those 3 fundamental aspects of a free and civlised society, the reality is you'll probably end up with (assuming the rebellion succeeds in ousting Assad) an Islamist govt which will implement Koranic Law and actually inhibit the freedoms of many of those who are fighting for it. While you, being Muslim, and perhaps many of those fighting for the end of Assad's reign may not be inconvenienced by Islamic law becoming more prominent, that attitude would exhibit a hypocrisy towards the fight for those freedoms. This is hypothetical, I would like to stress, and while I appreciate my opinion may cause you some offence, it is intended to instead promote careful thought about the consequences of what is happening.

In Egypt, however, while the govt there may indeed fall back into dictatorship/fascism - it will at least be a secular form of that and will not inhibit the freedoms and rights of the people by imposing religious ideology as law. An interview from an Egyptian intellectual I viewed online spoke of his concern that they faced now a choice between two evils after the revolution that took down Mubarak. But that the majority of Egyptians were willing to choose what they viewed as the lesser of those two evils - the secular dictatorship - and work towards a free secular society. He viewed what is happening in Egypt as the start of the changes to come, not their conclusion.

So, the situations in Egypt and Syria are only superficially similar.

*Obviously, I wish such actions were not necessary as they bring much suffering, pain and grief - which I deplore.

i don't think dictatorship will return ever

people are going to fight against it .. and time will prove me wrong or right on this one

however syria will NOT be " islamic country " we will be " civil country"

that is what the major rebels want .. spare for small group tied with extreme mentality

which is a problem to discuss AFTER things are settled with big evil gov

however syria will NOT be " islamic country " we will be " civil country"

For your sake, I hope that's how it works out - but the realist in me says it won't.

For your sake, I hope that's how it works out - but the realist in me says it won't.

understandable .. but only because you don't know us

we're muslims in syria .. true .. but we keep our islam to our self

some muslims drink , don't fast , don't pray over here

alot of muslims girls work , drive , don't wear hair cover , dress tight clothes

and the majority of people are like that

however i won't deny there is small number of extremists groups

and those will be breeze to deal with once things are settled

but don't think for a min that we will be ok with some one lashing people in streets for doing something wrong

there was such incident like ths done by extremeists against civilian did i don't know what .. they lashed him in public

next day protest filled the streets against those people

but it will takes time .. and we have patience .. after all we waited 3 years almost under rain of bombs and showers of missiles

it won't hurt us to wait while the rebels clean the country of extreme forces " which are so small in numbers "

estimated 10.000 fighter .. while the rebels civil group are around 200.000