Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Collective thoughts"

bassai26

they say prayer is powerful thing but does massive amounts of prayers could cause we call a "miracle"?

Depends on your definition of a miracle

There are a lot of times when prayer doesn't produce the desired outcome of the prayers, but those cases are usually overlooked. I'm guessing that there are more prayers that don't produce the desired result than ones that do. I'm at a place now where I just turn it over to the divine, a "thy will be done" kind of thing. If there is a God, than she knows what she's doing, while I only know my own hopes & desires, which may be at odds with a higher plan.

Meh, depends on the size and scale of the miracle I suppose..

I've seen a few doco's, books, ect... that report on the power of prayer..

I think it greatly increases the potential for miracles or desired outcomes. but as for causing out-right-miracles to occur right now? dunno..

A lot of the time prayer happens when we can think of nothing else to do -- it keeps us from feeling helpless. It might work better if it weren't so often the last resort.

• Like 2

Praying can give you peace of mind. That in of itself could be considered a miracle.

Prayers are a subjective topic, it all depends on the individual.

Attempting to change the course of events with prayer does not strike me as much different from trying to do so with dancing or special words or other forms of magic.

If there is a God, I would think He would frown on efforts of this sort.

My mind immediately went to thoughts of the Borg collective when I read the title.

Personally, I don't think prayer does anything other than ease the mind of the person praying. Kind of like meditation.

But, human will is a powerful thing.

• Like 1

they say prayer is powerful thing but does massive amounts of prayers could cause we call a "miracle"?

In the context of Christianity, which I presume is the religion you are putting this in the context of, a miracle is the Will of God manifest.

Prayers are our will, not God's, therefore no 'amount' of prayer can evoke a miracle. It is simply a plea for God to manifest Will, and I believe the bible suggests that one praying for a miracle is just as effective as a multitude.

Edited by Leonardo

I think it would depend on the purpose of the prayers

No prayer can be ethical when the petitioner seeks for selfish advantage over his fellows. Selfish and materialistic praying is incompatible with the ethical religions which are predicated on unselfish and divine love. All such unethical praying reverts to the primitive levels of pseudo magic and is unworthy of advancing civilizations and enlightened religions. Selfish praying transgresses the spirit of all ethics founded on loving justice.

Prayer must never be so prostituted as to become a substitute for action. All ethical prayer is a stimulus to action and a guide to the progressive striving for idealistic goals of superself-attainment.

http://www.urantiabook.org/Default.aspx?PageID=13180836&A=SearchResult&SearchID=4885235&ObjectID=13180836&ObjectType=1

institutions like IONS tries to prove that "thoughts have mass." in connection with this principle, they studies the effect of collective thinking, prayer, for instance. for me, it is therefore an implication that the event we called "divine intervention" is a result of collective human power. here is a link to the said institution: http://noetic.org/