Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who needs a body?

Aggie

Who needs a body anyway?

Experts are now investigating whether we could one day live as just a BRAIN on far away planets.

• Some experts believe that the human body is outdated and not suited to modern life and the possibility of living further out in the solar system.
  • A prototype robot has been created that is controlled by rat brain cells.
  • Another expert believes that we could one day transport frozen brains to another planet and then defrost them when we arrivemany years later.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2by9DvWMy

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Edited by Aggie
  • Like 3

I have yet to experience a frozen microwave dinner that looked like the picture on the box. Can't imagine my brain faring much better.

• Like 6

That strikes me as technologically possible but unaesthetic and probably not something people would adopt. There would no doubt prefer to cure aging and other ailments and retain the pleasures of having a physical body.

• Like 5

I agree with Frank.

*scratches scrotum*

Glad I know that!! LOL

I love my body, as imperfect as it is. My body allows me to do all the things I have to do and I love to do. It can be a pain sometimes, but also a pleasure.

And implanting a brain into a robot....that should be made illegal.

• Like 2

everything your body experiences, every information it gets from the outside world, is in the end processed in and by the brain. if the robot sensors are good enough, i guess you shouldn't feel a difference. and maybe there is some places in this universe where our body is more a burden than a blessing....

Not a good idea! Humanity would be lost.

• Like 2

everything your body experiences, every information it gets from the outside world, is in the end processed in and by the brain. if the robot sensors are good enough, i guess you shouldn't feel a difference. and maybe there is some places in this universe where our body is more a burden than a blessing....

I understand your point, but I wouldn't want to loose my body...maybe I am too attached to Earthly things.

• Like 1

I understand your point, but I wouldn't want to loose my body...maybe I am too attached to Earthly things.

i'm quite comfy in mine as well! i just think it's a possibility and maybe even a next step in human evolution....

• Like 2

This is what Zarkor and Zerak say, "Who need's a body?" I think once you got used to it, it would be liberating.

post-50472-0-84851300-1376556024_thumb.j

• Like 1

Who needs a body anyway?

Experts are now investigating whether we could one day live as just a BRAIN on far away planets.

• Some experts believe that the human body is outdated and not suited to modern life and the possibility of living further out in the solar system.
  • Another expert believes that we could one day transport frozen brains to another planet and then defrost them when we arrivemany years later.

It reminds me Lovecraft's "The Whisperer in Darkness", a very nice and disturbing short story!

Anyway, I don't know, from one side I'm still attached to my body and I don't want to lose it, but if there would be a safe technology allowing brain (or consciousness) extraction and later a re-implanting, with no consequences, why not?

Think about it: we could have the possibility to leave our bodies here in suspended animation (so no damage and no aging) and travel in space with a more suitable body (organic or robotic), explore, make experiences and then travel back home to our original bodies. I'd do it!

• Like 1

This is so full of ****. First of of all nothing compares to an organic body. If there is one way forward it is not a robotic body. If we can hone our organic bodies to last for longer and improve genetic wholes which cause inherited diseases then we'll be flyin and it'll be much more money and time friendly. If we were to go towards robotic bodies we would end up being enslaved by coperation who would want to sell up upgrades and we would probably never own the body.

• Like 5

If the robot body is as sensitive and flexible as the human body, what difference does it make whether you're made of meat or "metal?" Or is it simply that your consciousness would know what had happened and that is the objection?

• Like 2

If the robot body is as sensitive and flexible as the human body, what difference does it make whether you're made of meat or "metal?" Or is it simply that your consciousness would know what had happened and that is the objection?

I would yearn for a real body,made with flesh...you can say that yes,our consciousness would 'feel' the difference.

• Like 1

Who needs a body anyway?

"Some bodies" are living without a brain already so why not vice versa ?

• Like 3

Why does this Warwick stop at "just having a human brain without a body"? Why does he not go further and propose to entirely replicate the human brain into synthetic form and then it will be truly immortal. Organic cells die, synthetic parts can be infinitely replaced and maintained.

Edited by Ashiene
  • Like 2

Death is like a mind without a body, if you believe in an afterlife.

• Like 2

I may be an old faht, but what is the purpose? A world full of jars sitting on shelves with disembodied brains in them? Who is going to be around to put them there? No thanks. I am glad I will not be alive when this happens, if it ever does. In my humble opinion, there is no point to such an idea.

PS. How would I ever knit or sew with no hands?

Edited by moonshadow60
  • Like 3

Some of those 'scientists' are getting paid for all the bs they come up with?

• Like 2