Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NZ woman 'drove and texted while asleep'

Still Waters

New Zealand police are seeking an order to stop a woman from driving, amid concerns that she had driven hundreds of miles while asleep, even sending text messages along the way.

Friends of the woman alerted the police, saying that she has a highly unusual sleep disorder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-23698124

• Like 1

If she's doing it while asleep how will they stop her. Lock her up at night? Don't think taking her drivers license is going to do it.

• Like 3

I don't text but I certainly have functioned just as if I were awake while sleeping the Ambien sleep ;) ...scary stuff man...

• Like 1

Police said that they received an emergency call just after midnight on Wednesday from a friend of the woman who was worried that she had gone out in her car after taking sleeping medication

I find it hard to believe that she drove 300kms asleep ,let alone sending texts at the same time , I think it's more likely she was juiced up from the medication and couldn't remember the drive ....

TiP.

• Like 1

What's up with New Zealand lately?

The alien sighting, now this?

Get your **** together, kiwis

I find it hard to believe that she drove 300kms asleep ,let alone sending texts at the same time , I think it's more likely she was juiced up from the medication and couldn't remember the drive ....

TiP.

It's a fine line I guess. Being functional in an alcohol induced "blackout" is the closest thing I can compare it to. Having people tell you next day the things you did and said but having ZERO memory of any of it. Excellent excuse to stop drinking - if one needs an excuse :)
  • Like 2

Was she asleep, or in a medical induced trance.I cant imagine someone driving that distance while asleep,meeting all the road conditions of night driving,its scary enough during the daylight with some of the things other drivers get up to.

• Like 1

If she's doing it while asleep how will they stop her. Lock her up at night? Don't think taking her drivers license is going to do it.

They can take her car, that'll stop her :)

• Like 1

I wish I had condition where I did my household chores during sleep. Would be great to waken up to spotlessly clean home.

• Like 1

What happens has nothing to do with sleep as we normally do, this is what i would call a state of self-hypnosis, some sleeping pills hypnotic lead you in the same stage mental; when passing the effect you have not the slightest awareness of what you've done and that is what happens to this woman, is obvious the dangerousness of things, i would recommend to sell the machine and buy a nice bicycle lol

Dam if someone can drive a distance of 190 miles while SLEEPING, and still be able to text she must be a pretty dam good driver considering she NEVER got into a accident on the way there.

• Like 1

At least publicise what she's driving so people know to stay far away from that type of vehicle IF possible.

She is extremely lucky to still be alive. I can't see this ending pleasantly for her.

Edited by ancient astronaut

I have sleep walked a few times (Well a few times that I know of but probably far more often than that). One night back when I was in my early twenties I was staying at my mates house on the other side of the city (Glasgow in Scotland) - I went to sleep in his spare bedroom and woke up the next morning in my own bed! I looked outside and my car was parked in my driveway! I decided to phone my mate and let him know that I was back home - the call came as a surprise to him because he thought I was still asleep in his spare room. While talking to him I suggested that he checked if anything was missing as I had a bit of a habit of collecting things while sleeping (I once woke up in another mates house one day with a handful of all the nozzles from all of the deodorant cans or perfume bottles in their bathroom!). My friend did a quick check around the house then came back and told me that he couldn't see anything missing but he told me I had left his back door wide open. That came as a surprise to me because until then I didn't even know there was a back door to his house and more surprising still he told me that the only way I could have gotten out of his back garden was to climb a 9 foot high wall!

Regarding the comment someone made about wishing they could do their housework during their sleep - There was one time when I was working overseas and lived in a hotel suite in Abu Dhabi. I woke up one morning and the first thought in my head was 'Where the hell am I?'...It took me a few seconds to realise that I was still in my hotel room but apparently I had been up during the night completely rearranging the furniture! I had also got myself dressed (albeit that I had put my teeshirt on inside out), unpacked a suitcase AND made six cups of coffee (well actually I had put the coffee milk and sugar into the cups and placed the cups in various parts of the room but hadn't bothered pouring any hot water in them!)

I note from a few of the posts here that people seem to think that alcohol rather than sleep walking is the cause behind events like that described in the story but I know from experience that you can do the strangest things while sleeping without alcohol being involved in any way - with me it seems to be sleeping in places I am not used to that triggers it, although thankfully it hasn't happened to me for years (as far as I am aware!)

I think I was on the motorway behind her this evening...

• Like 1

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing the totality of this story.

What's next, a "sleep driving" airline pilot?

Maybe she was abducted by little grey men and had one of those lost time experiences. LOL

Would love to see some of the texts she sends. I'm hoping they all consist of her merely typing 'zzzzzzzzzz' to everyone on her contact list.

• Like 1

about that sleeping disorder,do you remember the tv show "fact or fiction" they have this episode something like that.well i thought maybe she will end up like that...i hope not...

It's true, this story, she lives in my city.. it was all over the news, and she has done this before. There is a link to a type of sleep medication, that others who have taken it have also driven while asleep. Totally bizarre.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard of people texting or falling asleep at the wheel but never BOTH AT THE SAME TIME! WTF IS THIS WORLD COMING TO!?!