Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

People Worship Weeping Tree In California,

Still Waters

I have lived long enough on the earth to believe:

God exists, but many things are done in His name by those who would manipulate people for power or profit.

Science is a wonderful tool for exploring the universe but is wholly inadequate for discussing spiritual questions; Theology and science are two different disciplines often asking two different questions and seeking different answers.

Atheism is often as dogmatic as religion, I rarely pay attention to radicals on either side, they give me a headache. You believe what you want, I believe what I want. Atheists cannot prove a universal negative, i.e. that God does not exist, because that presupposes that they have been everywhere in the universe and beyond, turning over every rock, so to speak. Theists cannot put God on display, as it were, to the satisfaction of atheists. There will always be adherents to both sides of the argument. Get over it.

To say that belief in religion has "held man back" is not accurate in as much as many scientists who made discoveries, the fruits of which we enjoy today, were firm believers in God. Even Charles Darwin, in the very last sentence of Origin of Species credits "the Creator" with the process. List of these scientists are available on Wikipedia, in case anyone is interested.

Having has some dealings with Catholicism, I consider it to be one of the largest cults in the world. Many of its followers are as ignorant of Biblical teaching as they are of science. They are steeped in the use of icons, and as a result "see" images and miracles where often a rational simple explanation would suffice. Many of the adherents are from poor countries and are probably not highly educated, and sadly the Catholic church has done nothing to dissuade them or educate them.

Well, that's my rant at 2:00 AM, time for bed.

• Like 2

I have lived long enough on the earth to believe:

God exists, but many things are done in His name by those who would manipulate people for power or profit.

Science is a wonderful tool for exploring the universe but is wholly inadequate for discussing spiritual questions; Theology and science are two different disciplines often asking two different questions and seeking different answers.

Atheism is often as dogmatic as religion, I rarely pay attention to radicals on either side, they give me a headache. You believe what you want, I believe what I want. Atheists cannot prove a universal negative, i.e. that God does not exist, because that presupposes that they have been everywhere in the universe and beyond, turning over every rock, so to speak. Theists cannot put God on display, as it were, to the satisfaction of atheists. There will always be adherents to both sides of the argument. Get over it.

To say that belief in religion has "held man back" is not accurate in as much as many scientists who made discoveries, the fruits of which we enjoy today, were firm believers in God. Even Charles Darwin, in the very last sentence of Origin of Species credits "the Creator" with the process. List of these scientists are available on Wikipedia, in case anyone is interested.

Having has some dealings with Catholicism, I consider it to be one of the largest cults in the world. Many of its followers are as ignorant of Biblical teaching as they are of science. They are steeped in the use of icons, and as a result "see" images and miracles where often a rational simple explanation would suffice. Many of the adherents are from poor countries and are probably not highly educated, and sadly the Catholic church has done nothing to dissuade them or educate them.

Well, that's my rant at 2:00 AM, time for bed.

Sundew, the "like" button is not enough, you wrote a wonderful post.

That's exactly what I think too.

Well, I'm glad that at least we're two.

Yes, the Church has to consider it's future base; the 3rd world and children; the superstitious and the credulous.

Come buy your 3rd order relics here and your brown scapulars here. Going cheap! Buy Two!

I remember a story about Virgin Mary weeping out blood as they say as it is crying in the Philippines but sadly this is a hoax...sorry i forgot about the person and year details.

Who am I to scoff at what people believe? Good on them that they actually believe in something, even if it is a weeping tree. On my part, I think if God was going to cry He would do it in a much bigger way, not just in California, and I doubt he would do it with insect poop.

Edited by moonshadow60

Codemonger,I'm catholic too and I think these people are crazy.Nothing supernatural about it.Know the appearance of the Virgin Mary at Zeiuton in Egypt years ago,is something different.There are photos of a woman walking around the dome of St.Mary's Coptic Church praying etc. There are articles on this on the internet. She appeared to christians and muslims there and it was shown on their television stations. Now that's the way to go,something big,not bug poop.

These are the same sort of people who believe in Santa Muerta,St.Death, the patron of drug cartels and criminals.

When I saw the crowd in the photos was not surprised.

I do believe there is a God, but He has better things to than this whatever it might be.

More of a miracle would be the poor in other lands having an abudance of food,or the civil war in Eygpt suddenly stopping because Jesus appeared to the people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've heard that some people worship door knobs. To each it's own; I wonder if they all end up at the same convention each year. I'm fine as a catholic and I believe that the power of prayer really holds no bounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Im catholic to but surely I wont worship a tree, let alone insect poo.

This is more the effect of superstition due to poor education and poverty. I feel actually bad for these people, they most be in very bad shape if they all flock around a tree.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Oh my. Now I'm never standing under another tree again lest Jesus strike me with bug pee.