Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Saratoga stone

TwilightSilver

I was going to start a thread about this for a while, but never opened one until I had approval. My account originally started in a different thread linked below:

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=246568

Here is the initial post I had made just in case people don't want to wade through...

I have had many weird things happen or have seen in my course of hiking and camping; I'll share one experience that has stuck out to me over the years though. My grandparents owned a house on Satatoga Lake N.Y. and as a kid I spent almost every Saturday there when my mother would go visit. As I got a bit older, I would leave the house (out of boredom) and go hiking around the surrounding woods. When you hike about a half hour away you can get to an old train track path (the track no longer exists). That's usually when I would turn around but I had my headphones and walkman on so I decided that day to go past the stretch. It was nice warm and sunny with little breeze so the hike went pretty good. About an hour into the woods I stumbled across a structure that I couldn't figure out why it would be there. It was a moss covered stone with all sorts of odd scrawls on it almost like language but unknown to me. This stone was old. It only caught my eye because of the writings on it. The stone stood about a foot out of the ground and I couldn't move it. After I aged and gained knowledge, the only way I could describe the writings, is that they seemed similar to viking runes only slightly different. My grandparents have sense passed so I can no longer go back there without permission. I'd love to find that stone again...

Second and third relavent post:

-New owners still haven't replied to my inquiries over going on the property. I'm thinking I might be brazen enough to drive up in person. (I was contacting them through snail mail) I originally was going to head up but my fiance advised mailing them first. We don't know what type of people they are haha.

-I finally got a response from the owners of Grandpa's property. I'm allowed to go on the property now! (Sadly they are not letting me in the house. I asked for nostalgia sake but I understand the privacy and all...) I can finally get back into the woods and get to that stone. I have a week off of work for vaca time (24th through the 30th)

I condensed it because I had double posted a few times because my phone sucks... :( But I fully plan on getting some friends together to find this stone again now that I have permission on the property!

Photos to follow soon, but for anyone interested in Google Earth following, here are the approximate coordinates without compromising the privacy of the owners:

~43 2'55.31N 73 43'9.32W

Updates coming soon!

Edited by TwilightSilver
  • Like 3

Cant wait to hear if its still there, and see what it looks like! Remember to take a lot of pictures.

• Like 1

Can't wait to see the pictures :)

I'm very familiar with that area - I only live a few miles away and fish Saratoga and Lake Lonely pretty frequently.

Looking forward to the pictures. Keep in mind, though, that the area is fairly populated and certainly well traveled by outdoor types.

• Like 1

Rafter, I'm aware haha! It was just odd, old and in a spot that I never thought something like it would be located. I've fished lonely before too! Also hiked through bear swamp a bit. It's amazing how many buildings have gone up around my old property since those days....

Rafter, I'm aware haha! It was just odd, old and in a spot that I never thought something like it would be located. I've fished lonely before too! Also hiked through bear swamp a bit. It's amazing how many buildings have gone up around my old property since those days....

Too bad you weren't making your visit a few weeks ago. You could have gone exploring with a few thousand Phish fans. The whole place was mobbed.

If you go before the 3rd, you can hit the track too.

I'll be down at the track on the 29th for a company trip! That week I'm going to investigate and grab pics. As many as I can. I'm off two days prior to the track. Don't worry guys. I'll have proof. I would never sacrifice my credibility on U.M! Been here too long! :)

• Like 1

Well I HOPE to have proof....I'll be damned if I don't. I'am very determined. Someone get Kenin back into this thread.

• Like 1

You hear a lot about these old rune stones being found in the Eastern US and Upper Midwest east of the Mississippi. I think the Vikings were here quite a long time before any other white Europeans were. Hundreds of years before. Also I believe Africans and South Americans traded thousands of years before Columbus came to the New World. There are statues of very African-looking faces in South and Central America; and traces of cocaine in mummies in Egypt. Cocaine was only grown or known in the New World. So trading had to be going on.

Look forward to the pictures!

• Like 1

Oh don't worry there will be plenty of pics. My plan (unlike many others) is to take as many pictures from all angles including the surrounding woods. If this pans out next week, I might try to dig it up. It could be a very important historical piece. Like I had said before though, they looked similar to Viking runes but not exact. It is not very ornate like some of the stones I had read about or saw online but I'm no expert. If I do manage to retrieve it, does anyone upstate here know of any colleges that would be able to analize it? I had thought of R.P.I. I don't look at it in terms of monetary value or recognition, just to find it and see is maybe JUST maybe I had found something of historical importance. : )

(Again a double post seriously sorry on break at work and I yet again hit post...:( don't kill me...)

I would gladly donate it to a museum or any professionals to analyze. That was what I wanted to end the last post with hah!

Oh don't worry there will be plenty of pics. My plan (unlike many others) is to take as many pictures from all angles including the surrounding woods. If this pans out next week, I might try to dig it up. It could be a very important historical piece. Like I had said before though, they looked similar to Viking runes but not exact. It is not very ornate like some of the stones I had read about or saw online but I'm no expert. If I do manage to retrieve it, does anyone upstate here know of any colleges that would be able to analize it? I had thought of R.P.I. I don't look at it in terms of monetary value or recognition, just to find it and see is maybe JUST maybe I had found something of historical importance. : )

If you do retrieve it, I'd suggest the New York State Museum in Albany. They have a very extensive geological collection. Even if you only get pics, they would be a good place to send them for analysis.

My advise would be to take lots of pics and (if possible) GPS co-ordinates but NOT to try to dig it up or remove it from it's position - experts can gather a lot of information from what they find in the soil immediately below standing stones or whatever it is - Some peoples placed 'offerings' beneath such things (I don't mean valuable but dead animal bones or such like, but even if no such things are there archaeologists can still get information from how the stone was bedded in. Half (or even more) of the information available from an object can be lost once it is removed from its position by a well-meaning amateur, and even if you could tell them exactly where you got it from then whatever was exposed in removing it can be disturbed, polluted or just lost before they get there.

• Like 4

And a PS to my last message - Just because you haven't been able to track down any information about it doesn't mean that it isn't known about so if you were to remove it you could end up being accused of stealing it or vandalising it.

• Like 3

My advise would be to take lots of pics and (if possible) GPS co-ordinates but NOT to try to dig it up or remove it from it's position - experts can gather a lot of information from what they find in the soil immediately below standing stones or whatever it is - Some peoples placed 'offerings' beneath such things (I don't mean valuable but dead animal bones or such like, but even if no such things are there archaeologists can still get information from how the stone was bedded in. Half (or even more) of the information available from an object can be lost once it is removed from its position by a well-meaning amateur, and even if you could tell them exactly where you got it from then whatever was exposed in removing it can be disturbed, polluted or just lost before they get there.

And a PS to my last message - Just because you haven't been able to track down any information about it doesn't mean that it isn't known about so if you were to remove it you could end up being accused of stealing it or vandalising it.

This excellent advice. It is on private land and should not be removed. I look forward to the pictures!

Scots-nomad:

That actually is good advice. I think I'll heed it. I'm going to be heading up this coming weekend and have permission as well. I will include pictures. I will use my phone to get GPS coordinates.

I'll do my best to give you guys as much info as possible!

Heading out guys! I'll probably post any pics by monday! :)

Heading out guys! I'll probably post any pics by monday! :)

Sorry for the triple post but...

Just got back home. I FOUND IT!!! I'm jumping around over it. I did not remove it but I have a ton of pics to upload. I couldn't get exact gps coords cause my phone barely had service....:( pics will be uploaded soon!

• Like 1

Twlightsilver has you gotten the pics yet would love too see if I could translate the wording.

• Like 1

I do but they are on 35mm so I'm going to scan and upload them within the next day or two. My Fiance was in the hospital for a heart attack yesterday and I spent all night there. Been exhausted. I'm really sorry for keeping you all waiting. I have the pics developed and also did a scratch'on with pencil I plan on uploading as well. Pics are coming shortly all. Please for our sake be patient. Been in a bad mood all day which doesn't help...:(

What would be the best way to upload over 30 pics to u.m.?

TwilitghtSilver,

I am so sorry to hear about your fiance! I hope for a speedy recovery for her and please don't neglect yourself. Please get as much sleep as you can and try to eat. You'll need your strength too!

I've been watching your thread and am eager to see the photo's (sorry don't know about technology), but it'll wait until everything else settles down. Right now your family needs you!

Regards,

Mabon.

• Like 2

I do but they are on 35mm so I'm going to scan and upload them within the next day or two. My Fiance was in the hospital for a heart attack yesterday and I spent all night there. Been exhausted. I'm really sorry for keeping you all waiting. I have the pics developed and also did a scratch'on with pencil I plan on uploading as well. Pics are coming shortly all. Please for our sake be patient. Been in a bad mood all day which doesn't help...:(

Hope all is well and best for a quick recovery.

I'd suggest uploading them to a 3rd party site and just posting the link here.

• Like 1

Family come frist anyday of the week, hope she's doing well. Third party picture site or going to gallery and muitiply pictuer uploader. I still needs to go too get my book on Traslating book for Viking Runes.... So no hurry in my book family comes first!

• Like 1

Man Charged with Removing Petroglyph from Federal Lands Near Pahrump

Las Vegas, Nev. – A man was indicted by the federal grand jury today on felony charges that he unlawfully removed and damaged a large petroglyph from United States Forest Service lands in the Spring Mountains National Recreational Area near Pahrump, Nevada, announced Daniel G. Bogden, United States Attorney for the District of Nevada.

Michael Cook, 57, of Pahrump, is charged with one count of violating the Archaeological Resources Protection Act. If convicted, Cook faces up to two years in prison and a $250,000 fine. He is charged under the felony provisions of the statute because the archeological resource is valued at more than $500.

http://www.justice.g...0/02102010.html

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 2

Thank you all for your understanding...it has been a real tough time for us but she is recovering well! : )

Gonna be scanning the pics within the next few days. I think I might .rar file them from "yousendit" or dropbox if any of you can access them from there.

Sakari: That was a crazy link! I cannot believe that I could get in that much trouble. Good thing I didn'l remove it....until I post all avaliable evedince I gathered, I'm not going to post the GPS coords. I would like to see what you all make of it first.

Again, thanks for the love and support for us. That's the reason that I love this community forum and most of the people on it. : )

Edited by TwilightSilver