Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New model : Voyager 1 HAS left solar system

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA Voyager Statement about Competing Models to Explain Recent Spacecraft Data

A newly published paper argues that NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft has already entered interstellar space. The model described in the paper is new and different from other models used so far to explain the data the spacecraft has been sending back from more than 11 billion miles (18 billion kilometers) away from our sun.

arrow3.gifRead more...

How cool is this? That's just marvelous. I hope it keeps sending.

Would be nice if there was an onboard camera :)

There is. What is it supposed to be imaging? There is two fifths of bugger all to see at that distance from the sun.

There is. What is it supposed to be imaging? There is two fifths of bugger all to see at that distance from the sun.

stars distant though

stars distant though

Which will look exactly the same as they do from Earth.

Which will look exactly the same as they do from Earth.

yes but from the voyager, there is no way a telescope can see far as Voyager 1, Voyager 1 can see further afield

yes but from the voyager, there is no way a telescope can see far as Voyager 1, Voyager 1 can see further afield

Sadly, no.

Cheers,

Badeskov

NASA Voyager Statement about Competing Models to Explain Recent Spacecraft Data

Interesting. This will have future implications for modeling the spiral galaxy rotation imv.

Interesting. This will have future implications for modeling the spiral galaxy rotation imv.

May I ask what those implications might be?

Cheers,

Badeskov

May I ask what those implications might be?

Cheers,

Badeskov

You can ask, but if I replied Waspie_Dwarf would just delete it. Safe to say I have deduced that there must be an additional force at work which we are not yet fully aware of.

You can ask, but if I replied Waspie_Dwarf would just delete it. Safe to say I have deduced that there must be an additional force at work which we are not yet fully aware of.

And the reason why pure speculation would be removed is because this is the science forum. They are other places to talk about that kind of thing...please leave this area for scientific discussion.

If the stellar and interstellar magnetic fields are aligned - as this model suggests - what impact does that have on our views on the way the galaxy functions?

• Like 1

Best to stay out of here, amigo. Unless you have the proper 'credentials' you will be pilloried and/or crucified.

If you had a thought through model that indicated a correlation as asserted, no he would not. I am pretty sure would enjoy the discussion. Alas, by your own admission you do not.

Cheers,

Badeskov

If you had a thought through model that indicated a correlation as asserted, no he would not. I am pretty sure would enjoy the discussion. Alas, by your own admission you do not.

The reason NatureBoff's posts are removed is because he ignores repeated requests not to take threads off topic to promote his own ideas. It has become virtually impossible to hold a discussion with on a large number of subjects without NatureBoff hijacking it.

As well as being intensely annoying, it is also against the rules of this site:

3j. Thread derailment: Do not derail or 'hijack' threads with posts that are either off-topic or designed to draw attention away from what is being discussed.

NatureBoff is free to discuss what he wants (within reason), he is just not at liberty to derail topic after topic (as he has done with this one).

Now with that cleared up maybe we can get back on topic again.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

Does anyone know if it is sending back binary data? I wonder what kind of transmitter it has on it?

Does anyone know if it is sending back binary data? I wonder what kind of transmitter it has on it?

Here is what NASA/JPL have to say:

Uplink communications is via S-band (16-bits/sec command rate) while an X-band transmitter provides downlink telemetry at 160 bits/sec normally and 1.4 kbps for playback of high-rate plasma wave data. All data are transmitted from and received at the spacecraft via the 3.7 meter high-gain antenna (HGA).

Source: NASA/JPL - Voyager: The Interstellar Mission

"Other models envision the interstellar magnetic field draped around our solar bubble and predict that the direction of the interstellar magnetic field is different from the solar magnetic field inside. By that interpretation, Voyager 1 would still be inside our solar bubble."

So at this point in plain English, NASA aren't actually sure whether Voyager has left the solar sytem or not and further discussion is needed.

We are not seeing a different direction of the magnetic field because Voyager hasn't yet left the solar system.........or we are not seeing a different direction of the magnetic field because there is no different direction.

So has Voyager left the solar system or not?

NASA say toss a coin! :)