Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Being ''plucked'' from death

beibeiqi

This is not my personal experience but an experience that was told to me by my boyfriend.

He had been witholding this information from me for a long time due to the fact that it has scared the crap out of him & he wishes to not recant it to anyone. We have been dating for three years and we pretty much tell eachother everything. So this gives you an idea about how freaked out this made my boyfriend- that much that he didn't want to tell me until he thought it was right.

So apparently when my boyfriend was a young boy he was out at the beach swimming. The next thing he remembers is being literally "plucked" from death. He remembers going toward the 'white light' but seeing death itself. He said he saw a scary grotesque looking man- possibly in a suit or not. And this man scared the crap out of him but he had no choice to go towards the light. After that he is back at the beach and grasping for air as he is being saved.

And he has told this story to one more person. One of his friends have had the exact same experience and almost identical story about the man.

And my boyfriend freaks out about it more because he says in the bible only people who are special are "plucked" from death. As he is convinced an angel or some supernatual force had grasped him from death's clutches.

Anyone ever heard any similar stories or have had a similar experience? Or anything to note about the angel vs. supernatural force that saved them from death? Thanks guys :)

• Like 3

Here's my question - how was he saved? I'm assuming someone physically pulled him out of the water and drug him up on the beach?

Thank you for the information! I believe the "plucking" feeling was more aimed towards him being literally pulled from death by the entity. I think he was rescued after by the lifegaurd but not "pulled" like he was referring to before. Now my boyfriend is an army guy he isnt scared of anything. So if this scares him enough to not talk about it for three years I take it seriously.

A dolphin maybe? No pun intended with my avatar, just throwing out a possibility which has been documented.

Maybe as his brain was losing oxygen it started firing off memories and somewhere he saw a movie or tv show or something like that where death was shown as a grim reaper type, and in the moment he believed he was going to die that was the image his brain fired off.

then a life guard saved him.

• Like 1

Maybe as his brain was losing oxygen it started firing off memories and somewhere he saw a movie or tv show or something like that where death was shown as a grim reaper type, and in the moment he believed he was going to die that was the image his brain fired off.

then a life guard saved him.

This ^^^.

What your boyfriend experienced is the brain's standard reaction when deprived of oxygen for a period of time. It's one of the reasons people who report "near death experiences" have very similar experiences to folks (pilots primarily) who black out in high G situations.

I hate to burst his bubble, but he's not that special - well, perhaps he is, but not because of this.

@ beibeiqi:

Apologies for the insensitivity of the previous post. Most people on this site are like him

rman's comment made perfect sense in regard to the body/mind reaction to lack of oxygen.

rman's comment made perfect sense in regard to the body/mind reaction to lack of oxygen.

He had a point yes, but I think the man in question would have been aware of this possibility if he's a soldier and trained for the effects of biological warfare. When looked at with all the other accounts of similar "angel saviour-like" events, I think it's more likely that something out of the ordinary did happen. Just my opinion of course. I'm a believer in strange events happening due to bizarre and cryptid animals we are not yet aware of, as opposed to a religious explanation.

being a soldier and being trained is all well and good, but when you're drowning its a slow panic enducing death.

lack of oxygen makes the body panic, meaning logical process in the mind is hampered, coupled w/ the synapsees firing off in that panic.

its the same as any near death experience

He had a point yes, but I think the man in question would have been aware of this possibility if he's a soldier and trained for the effects of biological warfare. When looked at with all the other accounts of similar "angel saviour-like" events, I think it's more likely that something out of the ordinary did happen. Just my opinion of course. I'm a believer in strange events happening due to bizarre and cryptid animals we are not yet aware of, as opposed to a religious explanation.

I'd like to think something extraordinary occurred, and maybe it did. Maybe what could have been hypoxia not only included possible hallucinations, but other things as well. Here's where we could speculate. Could hypoxia or putting the body under tremendous physical stress release some kind of chemical or hormone that contributed to the outcome, or caused the higher self to step in & save the day? Or was it angels or a cryptid? Whatever it was was real to him, and he survived, so it was effective, no matter what the cause.

• Like 1

@ beibeiqi:

Apologies for the insensitivity of the previous post. Most people on this site are like him

Yes, science and truth are just so damned insensitive at times.

Well I doubt he based it off a tv show

His friend had the exact same experience withput hearing my bfs first. Which is pretty weird. Mind you this also happened when he was like 5 so he obviously wasnt a soldier then. I guess I just find it so weird that his friend recounted the exact experience in exact detail.

I reread the OP and the original story talks about a being shrouded in light. Very similar to an 'angel' sighting, just like St. Bernadette when she was a young girl. She must have felt an incredible feeling of well-being to be able to tell the story of heavenly wonder. In your bfs case, I think that he felt empowered by the gaze of the entity which gave him extra strength and direction.

The big difference here is that he saw an "ugly" face with someone perhaps in a suit of some kind. (Maybe St. Bernadette's encounter was also ugly but she wasn't close enough to see it?) Anyway, it reminded me of this type of encounter:

Now for the first experience, I had two friends from the camp who also saw the objects and couldn't figure out what they were. But for the second, as I was a loner, especially on disco nights, nobody was around to observe it. So that may be subject to question.

Again finally, the actual close encounter:

It was the night of the second encounter, as I made my way to the disco. It was a circular room, big enough to host about a hundred dancers. It featured low seatings throughout the circle, and a dj booth opposite the entrance..

Anyway, at first, I sat down on the left side and just listened to the music as I didn't like to dance. Then, I saw a flash of light, coming from the empty DJ booth. (Yes, there was no dj actually, they just played tracks from a popular club music CD). It was interesting, as nobody was inside. So I went and sat at the opposite side, where I could see inside the booth as there was the door. I looked at the door and I saw a figure inside. It was no taller than 120cm or around that height, it was wearing a metallic suit. Something like a body armor. There were orange lights glowing at the joints of the figure, as it was a humanoid. It wore a helmet-like thing, kinda diamond shaped but not exactly. I won't try to draw that, as it would suck. Anyway, It had large black eyes (more like viewing holes), not elliptical but triangular at the bottom and circular at the top. Like a drop of water. It had some orange glowing markers on the neck. Overall, it looked black metallic and glowing orange. I stared at it's eyes for about 30 seconds and then it disappeared. But I don't know how it disappeared, as I don't remember how it disappeared. It was there, I was fixed on the eyes, and then it wasn't there. I felt scared at first, but not so much really, I felt shocked and I couldn't really comprehend what has happened. I was scared, happy, excited, curious and dull at the same time. I got up and walked to my initial seat, next to my friend. He told me that I sat there and stared at the door for ten minutes, but he didn't want to disturb me. As everyone were dancing, nobody cared about a boy who just sat at the side of the dance floor, and my friend didn't want to bother me.

These entities are also associated with glowing lights and hallucinations.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=252617&hl=

Edited by NatureBoff

That story reminds me of the grinning man in similar details

I'm not familiar with those encounters. Any references or is it a general thing?

This happened to me when I was about 20 or so:

I was swimming at a well-frequented by teens-and-young-adults summer holiday beach. I am not a very good swimmer, but decided to try to swim out to a sand bar where some of my friends had swum. Unfortunately the current was too strong and I tired and cramped. I tried floating and swimming on my back, but I couldn't stay afloat. After going down and popping back up a few times, I was too tired to struggle and just started sinking. No-one on the bar or shore had seen me waving, or thought I was playing around.

I was probably no more than a foot or so under, when I was pulled out by a chap in a passing dinghy.

I don't, to this day, actually remember being pulled out. I only remember the sensation of sinking, feeling very peaceful and calm, and then holding on to the side of the dinghy.

I relate this because, in times of extreme stress our minds can blank out events. It is entirely possible that someone saved your boyfriend, but he doesn't remember the person - and the 'grotesque man' is his minds way of 'filling in the gap'. I wouldn't mind betting this grotesque man is actually from another memory, his or his friends, that he has transferred. The friend having a similar story I would suggest is just a sort of empathic suggestion. Nothing paranormal, but the sharing of a traumatic experience with someone who has experienced similar, and the imagery between the two confuses and becomes difficult to distinguish.

Ask your boyfriend and his friend to search their memories for this 'grotesque man', and try to see if they can remember him in some other memory.

@ beibeiqi: Could you ask your bf if the ugly face had black upside down teardrop shaped eyes please?

Edited by NatureBoff

• 2 weeks later...

The grinning man was a cryptid I believe that was seen by only around 3-4 people. http://characters.wi...ki/Grinning_Man

From the stories it was about a man who was weird looking who wore metallic shining clothing and had a big creepy smile.

And I forgot this link to indrid cold!

http://theydontseethroughus.blogspot.com/2011/11/indrid-cold.html

Edited by beibeiqi

@ beibeiqi: Could you ask your bf if the ugly face had black upside down teardrop shaped eyes please?

Surely you can't be serious