Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Writing - for health and happiness?

Still Waters

Decades of research have shown that writing down your emotions has concrete health benefits - even helping wounds heal. But as more and more people publish their intimate feelings online, could they be doing themselves more harm than good?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-23637013

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I think writing down your emotions after a traumatic experience is beneficial, but too much of a good thing can be harmful. If you keep revisiting the trauma, experiencing the emotions again and again, you never allow yourself a chance to heal. Like the article said, this is when you get out and do something to help take your mind off of what happened. But if your trauma colors everything you do, perhaps you need professional help.

• Like 1

I publish my poetry and feelings online.

But not under my real name or picture.

I always use a pen name.

I plan to release and sell a book of poetry under a pen name....

Didnt that Pantodragon say that you should burn everything you write so that someone else doesnt publish it when you die? Where'd she go anyway?

Geez, why do some people post all of their information on Facebook even when they know the consequences? If they really want to type on the computer so bad, there are some programs which let you write a diary with a password so that others can't see. It's not completely safe, I'm sure it's easy to hack into these things, but no it's safer than publishing it on line for everyone on Facebook or any other social media to see.

Geez, why do some people post all of their information on Facebook even when they know the consequences? If they really want to type on the computer so bad, there are some programs which let you write a diary with a password so that others can't see. It's not completely safe, I'm sure it's easy to hack into these things, but no it's safer than publishing it on line for everyone on Facebook or any other social media to see.

Do you know how many times people have gotten into trouble because of things they've written on facebook......... A LOT

I feel good, when i write poetry and songs and perform them.

Me too. I 'write' songs and lyrics are poetry . Not to say mine are GOOD poetry , or music, but yes, It feels good to create them and them experience them over and over..(and over and over) ; i do it to relax, or sometimes to get excited or cheer myself up ! It's my escape from ordinality .

I think the singing and playing does me more good than the writing. * but if i didn't create them i'd have nothing to Play .. It's fun to play other people's great songs... but you are just 'closer' to a song you created .

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

I'm hesitant to post any of my writing in the public domain of the internet; too much unimaginative people ready to steal.

In regards to writing to clear up any form of unhappiness, writing is a good way to relieve stress..

I know plenty of people my age who write, who do so to relax their minds or to vent.

Part of being a writer is dealing with criticism; you build yourself up from it. It's a natural process.

I just believe that people have that shield; internet, and they can be overly-critical and downright mean.

Edited by Hatake Kakashi
  • Like 1

From my experience writing about your problem releases stress. Writing about it on facebook idk. Iv never done it

• Like 1