Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smartphones are causing sight problems

seeder

The article also mentions pc screens. I can attest to pc screens and my sight, ever since I started using a pc, I have had short sightedness and now need glasses... but then again Im also nearly 50 and they say sight deteriorates after your 40's

Anyway, i first thought the article was going to mention how people are so busy texting and walking that they dont see the bus that hits them :lol:

Have you got 'screen sightedness'? Smartphones are causing sight problems to soar, warns eye surgeon

* David Allamby says there has been a 35% increase in the number of people with advancing myopia since the launch of smartphones in 1997

* He believes the problem could increase by 50% in the next ten years

* The problem is so common he has given it a name - 'screen sightedness'

* 50% of 30-year-olds could have the problem by 2033 due to smartphones

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2394611/Have-got-screen-sightedness-Smartphones-causing-sight-problems-soar-warns-eye-surgeon.html

Call me old-fashioned, an atavist or a Luddite (I'm frequently called worse), but my opinion is that advancing technology comes with about as many curses as blessings. Other studies have shown a decrease in social skills among those who have used texting and other "social" media extensively. I have witnessed people at parties, picnics and bars texting when the are within steps of one another. Certainly the march of technology has brought great advancements in health care, transportation, communication and other fields. It is not benign, however. Thanks for the post.

• Like 1

Hmm. My experience is the opposite. I used to be required to wear glasses to drive and also needed them to read. Since I started using a computer for several hours a day I no longer needed glasses to drive and rarely need to find them to read (really small print). I dunno.

Daily Mail isn't so much a newspaper as it is advertisement:

Rates of short sightedness among young people have soared because of smartphones, a leading laser eye surgeon has claimed.

David Allamby, Founder of Focus Clinics, says there has been a 35 per cent increase in the number of people with advancing myopia (short sightedness) since the launch of smartphones in 1997.

It's a mixture of scare tactics and advertising for Focus Clinics. The Daily Mail is pretty terrible about this.

• Like 1

Call me old-fashioned, an atavist or a Luddite (I'm frequently called worse), but my opinion is that advancing technology comes with about as many curses as blessings. Other studies have shown a decrease in social skills among those who have used texting and other "social" media extensively. I have witnessed people at parties, picnics and bars texting when the are within steps of one another. Certainly the march of technology has brought great advancements in health care, transportation, communication and other fields. It is not benign, however. Thanks for the post.

i agree with this completely! i am in college and i went to a party last week and literally everyone was on their phone, so my friend and i left. what party that was.

Thanks and Coast to Coast AM is all over this subject and dirty electricity or EMF! Your new topic was talked about in the first thirty minutes. Open Lines follow tonight's guest Dr. Samuel Melham hosted by John B. Wells.

Right here now....

http://newstalk1280.com/

Read about tonight's show....

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/

When they say EMF, how do they distinguish between the different types?

You are constantly bombarded by EMF from the sun, for example.

• Like 1

Well for those who have mentioned kids focused on their phones so much nowadays, I did make a post about that one earlier

The day Albert Einstein feared has arrived

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=252910&hl=