Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
questionmark

NSA journalist's partner detained

5 posts in this topic

The partner of the Guardian journalist who has written a series of stories revealing mass surveillance programmes by the US National Security Agency was held for almost nine hours on Sunday by UK authorities as he passed through London's Heathrow airport on his way home to Rio de Janeiro.

David Miranda, who lives with Glenn Greenwald, was returning from a trip to Berlin when he was stopped by officers at 8.05am and informed that he was to be questioned under schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act 2000. The controversial law, which applies only at airports, ports and border areas, allows officers to stop, search, question and detain individuals.

The 28-year-old was held for nine hours, the maximum the law allows before officers must release or formally arrest the individual. According to official figures, most examinations under schedule 7 – over 97% – last under an hour, and only one in 2,000 people detained are kept for more than six hours.

Read more

Gettin' noivous, ain't we not?

2 people like this

Anyone else report on this other than the Guardian? The Guardian has an unfortunate tendency to leave out pertinent details that might answer your questions.

Posted (edited)

I found one on the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...merica-23750289

Edited by shaddow134

Posted (edited)

I have been informed by various persons, recently, that I should be "good," and keep my mouth shut, especially regarding perils affecting, or which I expect to affect the U.S.

What these powers do not understand, is that if I am forced or coerced into silence, the earth will speak for me, and she can make a lot of noise ...

9461207015_93eee4f7a7_o.jpg

Edited by Raptor Witness

in related news:

U.S. had advance notice of Britain’s plan to detain reporter Glenn Greenwald’s partner

U.S. officials on Monday distanced themselves from the decision of British authorities to detain the Brazilian partner of Glenn Greenwald, the journalist who has exposed details of National Security Agency surveillance programs, amid questions over the documents officials may have confiscated.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters that U.S. officials had received a “heads-up” that London police would detain David Miranda on Sunday, but he said the U.S. government did not request Miranda’s detention, calling it “a law enforcement action” taken by the British government.

“This was a decision that was made by the British government without the involvement and not at the request of the United States government. It’s as simple as that,” Earnest said.

Read more

Hmmm... so is the poodle now acting independently? As some kind of anticipatory obedience?