Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The "Orb" Phenomenon

DecoNoir

Just a quick question for some of the veterans of the forum: When did orbs begin showing up in photos? And when were they attached to paranormal occurrences?

While that is the immediate question, a few others to add to the discussion: Do more experienced paranormal investigators take such evidence seriously? And do you think that the prevailance of such photos tarnish the field?

Just a quick question for some of the veterans of the forum: When did orbs begin showing up in photos? And when were they attached to paranormal occurrences?

While that is the immediate question, a few others to add to the discussion: Do more experienced paranormal investigators take such evidence seriously? And do you think that the prevailance of such photos tarnish the field?

rarely shown in film but when digital came out, that when it changed. I would explain why but I am at work at,
  • Like 1

I think 99 times out of 100 Orbs are dust, insects, lens flare, reflections.. The list goes on. Now and again you see something interesting where they seem "intellegent" but these seem very few and far between.

I don't think any orb picture would be valid unless it was taken in a scientific dust free room.

• Like 1

I was researching them from 1993, the earliest 'orb' photos I saw were from late 1992. It wasn't the switch to digital that changed the perception to a belief in a paranormal explanation, that started with the advent of advent of reusable flash units for SLRs and built-in flash in compact cameras in the 90s - before that with the available films and flash bulbs etc you didn't waste money on night-time flash photos. The advent of digital simply removed the ongoing costs of photography allowing peeps to become shutter happy.

Edited by Oppono Astos

I think 99 times out of 100 Orbs are dust, insects, lens flare, reflections.. The list goes on. Now and again you see something interesting where they seem "intellegent" but these seem very few and far between.

Example?