Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ouija Boards vs. EVP Sessions

IntoTheDarkRadio

Wanted to know what everyone's take is on Ouija Boards and if you have ever used one before. I've used one a few times myself and each time nothing happened. I don't associate them with the negative connotation that most people seem to. Not saying your wrong if you do but that's just my own belief. In my opinion there isn't a difference using a Ouija Board and using a voice recorder during an EVP session. Essentially your asking for direct communication with the spirit using two different tools. Same goes for dowsing rods, etc. What's your opinion?

• Like 1

Well, in my experience Quija Boards can bring any entity to you and allow it to truly hide its identity and intentions. With EVP it cannot disguise its voice. Typically with a Quija board it can say it is a child and you truly have no way of identifying if that is true or not. I have always been told to keep away from them and so I have. I have had one experience where I supposedly contacted one of my ancestors and it turned out being a confederate soldier with whom I had am extremely horrid nightmare. He showed me how he died and I woke up with him standing right over me. That one time was the last time I have ever used one. I believe in life after death and that they roam here on earth waiting to go to heaven or hell. Whichever their destination may be. My family has had several paranormal experiences and I can see hear and feel them. My neice has inherited this gift/curse as well.

So in my opinion I would take EVP's over a Quija board anyday!

Well, in my experience Quija Boards can bring any entity to you and allow it to truly hide its identity and intentions. With EVP it cannot disguise its voice. Typically with a Quija board it can say it is a child and you truly have no way of identifying if that is true or not. I have always been told to keep away from them and so I have. I have had one experience where I supposedly contacted one of my ancestors and it turned out being a confederate soldier with whom I had am extremely horrid nightmare. He showed me how he died and I woke up with him standing right over me. That one time was the last time I have ever used one. I believe in life after death and that they roam here on earth waiting to go to heaven or hell. Whichever their destination may be. My family has had several paranormal experiences and I can see hear and feel them. My neice has inherited this gift/curse as well.

So in my opinion I would take EVP's over a Quija board anyday!

Hello and welcome to UM.

I am not sure where did you come with the conclusions you bring but from my experience Oujia boards are just a thing of the ideomotor and evps are easily tampered or corrupted by tampering.

Please read this about oujia boards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA5uYhXpa-E

When recording the sounds there is a lot of factors that come into effect.

1. Know your voice recorder,

A voice recorder can pick up distant noises or even through walls, airvents etc, not always clearly. I once stuck my voice recorder in an old traveling chest and cover it with pillows and wrapped out side with comforters. I then shut the closet door, for an hour i was singing a nursey song. When I played it back, i heard faint parts of the song. People forget that the world moves on and empty houses do amplify the noises from distances.

2. Remembering the source of the sound,

This is what I have against ghost relality shows, Ghost Hunters have so many people wondering around (The cast, the camera crew, the sound guy, director, lunch (yes they have a lunch guy/girl) walking around a very quiet building) that it is impossible to know who is where and who said what or did what when they are listening to the recordings. When you listen to the recording you may of think you heard a noise as a ghost/spirit/unicorn made of cheese that could be just a fellow human or even animal.

3A. Tampering, Evps are very easy to contaminate by accident. Unlike TV shows where they can in a few seconds, slow down a noise and make it clear and sharp it is not possible in reality. I don't want to get techiqcal but slowing down or speeding it up can change the way it sounds.

3B. Tampering, Evps are very easy to contaminate on purpose, either using software or even using their or other peoples voice and make a story up.

4. Power of suggestion, I notice how people will play the sound but give their opinion of the sound they have heard, so people will have that word or sound in mind when listening.

5. Nature, Wind and animal noises do get recorded.

• Like 3

I've used an ouija board several times without a problem--it worked like it said it would and there were no consequences. I've long since stopped using them, because as someone said, you never know who you're really talking to.

There is many ways to try to communicate with spirits and entities. Ouija has nothing more special than other means despite his reputation. You can try for a long time and never get anything out of it. No doubt the mental strain and excitation caused by the (excessive) use of it may reach the counciousness at a deep level. Repeated use can become an obesession and lead to depression and psychosis. That doesn't mean that if you open up yourself to it, you cannot be vulnarable and opening a door in your life to the unknown.

My understaning is that it can serve as a tool, as a mean among many others to communicate with the unknown. You can try long enough and never get any significant results but in some cases, people with more or less jugements have opened up themselves and unvoluntarily draw something negative on them. The game didn't stop even if it was safely back in the closet. I personally have an open mind about this kind of paranormal phenomenon and I believe that such a thing can occur though rarely.

The bad reputation of Ouija has probably been blown out of proportion, the appearance of it in the movie ''The Excorsime'' might have contributed to that as well. But stories of paranormal activity doesn't come solely from Ouija session but for many other way: Pendulums use, excessive use of EVP sessions, other esoteric ritual ect.

Edited by sam_comm