Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

grave encounters

whocares456

I know the movie is fake. is there truth to the hauntings in the asylum it was filmed in?

Edited by whocares456

There appears to be some stories out there about Riverview... but I can't really say if it's really supposed to be haunted, or just people creeped out by a shut down building. There sure seems to have been a lot of filming done there though.

I think anyone going into a former mental health facility is gonna have the heebie-jeebies. We know now, with hindsight, what was considered right and normal treatment in the 1800s - when most of these facilities operated - is rather barbaric. I don't believe anyone would willingly enter any building on one of these sites and not feel some level of discomfort, as if somehow our presence was acknowledging what was done there in the name of making someone healthier. Not to mention a lot of these places are a bit rundown - though an exterior shot of Riverview looks pretty solid. So you're going in there with a heightened sense of awareness because it's all gotta be done in the dark, and your fight or flight kicks in because you can't see where you're walking or you have limited vision with either a flashlight or you're looking at the view screen of a video camera with night vision. All of this culminates in us believing we see things that aren't there or hear things that are not quite right, stirring up our psyche and scaring ourselves to death.

@whocares456 I think it is because of the atmosphere, these places held people who were insane and sometimes malicious with it. They always look creepy because of the design of a lot of them but generally I think it is the idea.

asylum's seem to be the most creepy haunted buildings .

But of course. Pre-concieved notion. Looks scary therefore scary things must be in there.

Not to mention sound plays a factor too. If you're in a creepy quiet place, small noises that you would normally wouldn't note are going to be much more noticeable. You'll probably hear things as well. Noises are going to be scarier and hen you're scared, your mind thinks differently.

• Like 1

I agree with a few of the previous posters. Pretty sure asylums in general have a seriously haunted history. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were at least a few spirits/whatever roaming around those buildings.