Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Foregin accent syndrome

Big Bad Voodoo

According to wiki between 1941 and 2012 there were sixty-two recorded cases.

Croatian 13 y.o. teenager wakes from coma speaking fluent German

The girl, from the southern town of Knin, had only just started studying German at school and had been reading German books and watching German TV to become better, but was by no means fluent, according to her parents.

Since waking up from her 24 hourcoma however, she has been unable to speak Croatian, but is able to communicate perfectly in German.

Doctors at Split's KB Hospital claim that the case is so unusual, various experts have examined the girl as they try to find out what triggered the change.

Hospital director Dujomir Marasovic said: "You never know when recovering from such a trauma how the brain will react. Obviously we have some theories although at the moment we are limited in what we can say because we have to respect the privacy of the patient."

"There are references to cases where people who have been seriously ill and perhaps in a coma have woken up being able to speak other languages – sometimes even the Biblical languages such as that spoken in old Babylon or Egypt – at the moment though any speculation would remain just that – speculation – so it's better to continue tests until we actually know something."

Big Bad Voodoo

• Like 1

How proficient was she in German before she was in a coma ?

For Instance my wife is French Canadian,so I am exposed to the French language every day.If I slipped into a coma and woke up speaking French would that be so unusual?

Croatian 13 y.o. teenager wakes from coma speaking fluent German

The girl, from the southern town of Knin, had only just started studying German at school and had been reading German books and watching German TV to become better, but was by no means fluent, according to her parents.

Yes, it would be unusual. For instance I have been exposed to spanish and german all my life but by no means could i ever speak it. I know a word here or there. If something happened and I suddenly woke up speaking one of these languages fluently it would be very strange indeed. Expecially if I could no longer speak my normal language of english anymore.

Seems to me it gives the impression of life after life.

I know many people who are fluent in 'complete garbage' without ever going near a coma!

• Like 1

I've heard of head injury/trauma patients developing accents, but not fluent language skills in an unfamiliar language.

Foreign Accent Syndrome.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Whats interesting that we have people who can learn foreign language in a week or less.

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo

Seems abnormal but you said "according to wiki". Wiki is never a good solid source.

Seems abnormal but you said "according to wiki". Wiki is never a good solid source.

Wiki is solid as reference in wiki are solid.

Big Bad Voodoo

They should have a big guy chase her with a knife while wearing nothing but a ski mask. I betcha she screams in Croatian!