Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ever heard of this one?

DBunker

There is a story going around where I grew up that a family (50 years ago) was terrorized by their grandmother. She refused to let go of her daughter, she hated the guy the daughter married. They had 3 kids. The old ladyhated them aswell. She wanted her daughter back, away from the others. She called them about 20 times a day. Walking around their house at night, etc...

One day she even tried to get one of the kids out of kindergarden, God knows why..... but the teachers knew about the whole situation and refused, she then slapped 3-4 kids and the teacher in the mouth.

That same night the old lady tried to break into their house.

The mother in the family (the old ladys daughter) thought it was a thief and killed her, blasted her in the face with a shotgun.

She was so shocked when she saw who it was that she whent to the kids bedroom and and threw the dead grandmother on the floor infront of the screaming kids. She screamed at them that it was their fault, that she hated them all, slapped them all in the face and ran out of the house.

This family, the dad and 3 kids, never saw her again.

The legend -- Every May 14th -- Grandmothers all over town is allowed to slap their grandkids in the face, as hard as they want.

And they do.

Edited by DBunker
  • Like 3

Ooh, that is a harsh tradition. So when can the kids slap back?

• Like 3

This is a small town in the south of Sweden.... I can even remember back in the days when my friends grandmother hit him so hard (he was about 12) he cried like a little girl and even threw up.... from the humiliation, I guess.

The parents just laughed. I have no idea what happened to him later in life. Nothing good I imagine.

My grandmother slapped us as a joke, like most grandmothers.... didnt hurt one bit. ^_^

• Like 1

never heard if this one pretty violent though lol

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x

That is twisted. Poor kids in for a rude awakening if they never knew about the legend and then get slapped hard across the face by their elders.

• Like 1

That is twisted. Poor kids in for a rude awakening if they never knew about the legend and then get slapped hard across the face by their elders.

Most kids know about the legend, its like a ghost story type of deal around here. Its just that some old women is using it to really punish the grandkids they dont like.

Some get a gentle tap on the cheek and a smile, and the one after that gets a nasty SMACK on the side of the scull.

• Like 1

My grandmother slapped us as a joke, like most grandmothers.... didnt hurt one bit. ^_^

Hmm..can't imagine anyone thinking that slapping anyone is a joke. Certainly isn't to the recipient.

Anyways that is a new legend. Don't think I ever heard it. Kinda weird.

• Like 1

I must say that I have never heard of this one either, and I live in Sweden, in the northern parts. Maybe its a local phenomenon?

I wonder why the police arent doing anything about this "tradition",... could it be that they are afraid of their Grandmothers? :unsure2:

• Like 3

This is a small town in the south of Sweden.... I can even remember back in the days when my friends grandmother hit him so hard (he was about 12) he cried like a little girl and even threw up.... from the humiliation, I guess.

The parents just laughed. I have no idea what happened to him later in life. Nothing good I imagine.

What a horrible story!!

And I'm sorry but: what a horrible tradition!!

• Like 2

What a horrible story!!

And I'm sorry but: what a horrible tradition!!

Kinda like the movie The Purge, when I think about it. :unsure2:

I must say that I have never heard of this one either, and I live in Sweden, in the northern parts. Maybe its a local phenomenon?

I wonder why the police arent doing anything about this "tradition",... could it be that they are afraid of their Grandmothers? :unsure2:

Funny thing with traditions, if it's tradition lots of time it wont be stopped even if it's illegal. Here there is a tradition of people, thousands of them, riding their bikes throughout the city naked. It started with some college pranksters and every year a few more would join in and now it's tradition and the police haven't tried to stop them, instead they help direct traffic around them and make sure they are safe. Here in the US public nudity is illegal outside of specified nudist locations but yet this is aloud once a year all because of tradition.

• Like 1

Is it supposed to imply that the dead grandmother possessed her daughter?

Maybe..... I asked my dad about it earlier to day, he said that it was a lot worse a couple of decades ago. Kids with head trauma at the emergency room was expected on that date.

Allegedly the original women (the daughter) was found dead a couple of years after the event.

The husband was the prime suspect.... but there was little to no evidence that he murderd her.

Here there is a tradition of people, thousands of them, riding their bikes throughout the city naked.

Is it not painful going over speed bumps?

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

Err I think I might defer to slapping my grandkids,they are both Black Belt Karate experts. (6ft 3ins & 5ft 10ins tall)

• Like 3

Err I think I might defer to slapping my grandkids,they are both Black Belt Karate experts. (6ft 3ins & 5ft 10ins tall)

I hear ya.... They are only hitting the small kids. I have heard stories of serious retaliation when the kids got older.

I have to ask my dad about that.

• Like 1

What has to be the worst here is the different in slap-power given to the siblings. One get a gentle tap and a smile, the other one gets an Iron Mike knock out punch to the temple. And the old lady then laughs at the one lying flat crying on the floor.

My dad told me that it used to end with lots of lonley old women in nursing homes.

No one ever came to visit them. Not even their favorites who got the gentle treatment.

Dying alone cant be fun.... payback.

Edited by DBunker
  • Like 1

Horrible for all involved I say,... I would call the cops if I ever suspected something like that going on in my community.

• Like 2

Wow,never heard the story,but there might be something to it.They did have telephones back in the 1890s,1900s,so the story might be a very old one.Not a good story by the way,but interesting because it's from another country.