Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Big Bad Voodoo

Curses from Bible

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

According to the Catholic Encyclopedia article on Cursing, the Bible depicts God cursing the serpent, the earth and Cain (Genesis 3:14, 3:17, 4:11). Similarly Noah curses Canaan (Genesis 9:25), and Joshua curses the man who should build the city of Jericho (Joshua 6:26-27). In various books of the Old Testament there are long lists of curses against transgressors of the Law (Leviticus 26:14-25, Deuteronomy 27:15, etc.). So, too, in the New Testament, Christ curses the barren fig-tree (Mark 11:14), pronounces his denunciation of woe against the incredulous cities (Matthew 11:21), against the rich, the worldling, the scribes and the Pharisees, and foretells the awful malediction that is to come upon the damned (Matthew 25:41). The word curse is also applied to the victim of expiation for sin (Galatians 3:13), to sins temporal and eternal (Genesis 2:17; Matthew 25:41)."[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse

Do Christhians believe in curses? Whats stance of Christhians toward curses? Bible is Holy Book. Then we see so many curses.

So do curses work? Or they worked just once upon a time.

As young kid I was sure that you can cursed someone.That you can somehow transfer your hate on that person and ruin his life.

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo

I really dont think the bible talks about cursing in the way you think, youre talking about like verbaly cursing right (not bad words)? Or a curse on an object?

It would be awesome if there's a religion with the codex full of expletives and innuendos.

1 person likes this

It would be awesome if there's a religion with the codex full of expletives and innuendos.

There was a Catholic pope that authored a book on how to summon demons.

I don't think demons actually show up at Eminem concert.

Posted (edited)

Really Shadowsot?

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo

Really Shadowsot?

Come to think of it I've never heard of demonic phenomenons at Lewis Black shows either.

Le Grimoire du Pape Honorius.

SS

Really? Is braveone2u correct about which book you were referring to? No, that couldn't be it.

B12u

Le Grimoire du Pape Honorius.

Shadowsot was talking about a book written by a Pope, not a book with a Pope's name in the title. Besides, Shadowsot wouldn't propose a well-known fairly modern fake. He surely had something else in mind. Right, SS?

According to the Catholic Encyclopedia article on Cursing, the Bible depicts God cursing the serpent, the earth and Cain (Genesis 3:14, 3:17, 4:11). Similarly Noah curses Canaan (Genesis 9:25), and Joshua curses the man who should build the city of Jericho (Joshua 6:26-27). In various books of the Old Testament there are long lists of curses against transgressors of the Law (Leviticus 26:14-25, Deuteronomy 27:15, etc.). So, too, in the New Testament, Christ curses the barren fig-tree (Mark 11:14), pronounces his denunciation of woe against the incredulous cities (Matthew 11:21), against the rich, the worldling, the scribes and the Pharisees, and foretells the awful malediction that is to come upon the damned (Matthew 25:41). The word curse is also applied to the victim of expiation for sin (Galatians 3:13), to sins temporal and eternal (Genesis 2:17; Matthew 25:41)."[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse

Do Christhians believe in curses? Whats stance of Christhians toward curses? Bible is Holy Book. Then we see so many curses.

So do curses work? Or they worked just once upon a time.

As young kid I was sure that you can cursed someone.That you can somehow transfer your hate on that person and ruin his life.

Big Bad Voodoo

It is interesting that, in the mythology surrounding curses, knowing the name of something grants you some power over it.

In Genesis 2, we see Adam naming "every living creature". Furthermore, it is given to Man dominion over all of them.

But did the superstition that knowing the name of something granted you power over it come from scripture, or was that belief already extant when that scripture was written?

Given what was written, and the meaning of it, I would suggest the latter.

SS

Really? Is braveone2u correct about which book you were referring to? No, that couldn't be it.

B12u

Shadowsot was talking about a book written by a Pope, not a book with a Pope's name in the title. Besides, Shadowsot wouldn't propose a well-known fairly modern fake. He surely had something else in mind. Right, SS?

Yep, I'm trying to find it. This was on a podcast/lecture on famous/infamous characters in history.

Yep, I'm trying to find it. This was on a podcast/lecture on famous/infamous characters in history.

Here's the English version "download" link:

http://ebookbrowsee.net/gdoc.php?id=481530674&url=76ef3bcab976cd7f06593bdb556f4ed8

Peace.

I appreciate it, but that's not the one I'm talking about.

You want the French version? It's also available for download. Take care.

Thanks for digging it out, SS.

The only ones I've read have his name on it. Here's another one:

http://www.esotericarchives.com/juratus/juratus.htm

Peace.

Y'know,it may well be this book. I really should stop trying to rely on memory.

Y'know,it may well be this book. I really should stop trying to rely on memory.

Hi,

It's also called just plain Liber iuratus or Liber sacratus. I understand the reasoning for the no name thing.

Peace.

SS and B12U

The "Sworn Book of Honorius" is a different Honorius (possibly fictional, but also possibly a "pen name" for a collective authorship). That's the one that has alternate titles, Liber Sacer or Liber Sacratus, and there's 15th Century (?) manuscript witness for it. It seems serious, too. The Grimoire is 19th Century or maybe late 18th Century. It's a spoof.

The reason I ask about this is that a few years ago I ran across a book, The Attitude of the Catholic Church Towards Witchcraft and the Allied Practices of Sorcery and Magic by Sister Antoinette Marie Pratt, 1915. It showed that how Popes and other church officials looked at things like curses changed over the many centuries. It's a nice book (her Ph.D. dissertation) and free online. But it's almost 100 years old, so if something new had been found....

But OK, it looks like we've cleared this up. Thanks to you both.