Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crocodile takes man in Australia

Still Waters

A 24-year-old man was snatched by a crocodile in front of at least 15 onlookers as he swam across a northern Australian river with a friend, police said Sunday.

Northern Territory police said the man was with a group celebrating a birthday at the Mary River Wilderness Retreat, about 110 kilometres (70 miles) from Darwin, on Saturday when he decided to plunge into the water.

http://uk.news.yahoo...56.html#vqD5oWg

That's a tragic end to a birthday party. I do wonder why people take such risks swimming in rivers where there are crocodiles.

• Like 1

Look at me i swim with crocodiles ! Look at me iam in a crocodile mouth ! Some people just love to play with their lives ! I feel sorry for the croc that got shot ! Only because one of his kind ate a moron ! I wonder arent there any sign with " no swimming with crocs"

...adding that the largest crocodile at the site had been shot and killed as a precaution.

While this is tragic, and I feel sorry for the young man's family and friends, I have to point out the absolute dishonesty and injustice in the above.

The crocodile was only doing what crocodiles do, it was the young man who was at fault. And the croc shot was not shot "as a precaution", it was revenge - pure and simple.

And, in the morbidly humorous fashion, does anyone else see the irony of this happening near Darwin?

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 1

I have zero sympathy for him, but I do feel for his friends and family.

What do you expect when you decide to swim in crocodile infested waters, a fitting end to stupidity and then they decide to shoot & kill the largest crocs as a precaution, they negative effect on nature because of human stupidity.

New name for people like him "Crocomoronitis"

One thing I learned from the movie "Australia" a few years ago: there are lots of unpleasant ways to die there, including crocodile.

• Like 1

Poor guy. :(

That's the stuff of nightmares.

Ours? Yes. His? Not so much anymore.

I do feel for this guy and his family, it was a stupid move and he paid with his life. When i worked in Cairns in North Queensland, they tell you with signs don't swim on the beaches because of box jellyfish, and don't approach the shore of the rivers cause of the salt water crocs. My family has a place on the gold coast on one of the canals and we see dolphins come through, but also alot of bullsharks. It's just common knowledge here, he should have known better unfortunetly.

People take risks everyday. Whenever you get into your vehicle and leave home it is a risk. You may never come back. People jump out of perfectly good airplanes everyday and call it fun. People swim in the ocean everyday knowing full well that there are things in the water that can and will, on occasion, eat you. Same principle here. I am sure he knew of the risks, I am sure others have swam at that very spot hundreds of times with no incident. Was it the smartest move ever? Nope, but you take your risks and hope for the best.

Mike