Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's largest fish grew up to 50ft

Saru

The monstrous 16m-long Leedsichthys problematicus would have swam the ocean 160 million years ago.

The fossil remains of the sea-faring behemoth were unearthed at a quarry by an international science team led by Professor Jeff Liston of the National Museums of Scotland.

Source: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/253508/worlds-largest-fish-grew-up-to-50ft

• Like 2

I was a bit mystified where the report said the Gills were used to catch the plankton (this would lead to suffocation) but a little more research showed that Gill Rakers were part of the fish' anatomy to separate the plankton prior to the oxygen absorption by the Gills proper.

The fact that they became extinct along with the great sauropods on land, gives additional support to the Cometary / Asteroidal hypothesis of the progenitor for this event (plankton requiring sunshine to flourish).

That would make one huge ass fish sandwich.

Edited by ancient astronaut

Reason number one as to why I refuse to go swimming where fish are found. T-T

Seems as if we might have a much different world right now if the "extinction disaster" did not happen.

So that's how Jesus did it! Sneaky. All we need to find out now is who made the giant loaves.

• Like 2

A lot of the animals were much larger back then because there was much more oxygen in the atmosphere. I wonder if we would be bigger than we are if humans lived during that time.

Edited by MrPringle
  • Like 1

"problematicus"....good name :D

• Like 1

A lot of the animals were much larger back then because there was much more oxygen in the atmosphere. I wonder if we would be bigger than we are if humans lived during that time.

Obviously...

Probablynot, after a certain point the body can't support itself without significant changes to thebody.

I alaways thought megalodon would be the biggest fish.

I think Shadow Sot is right. Megalodon got up to about 60 ft.

Edited by Twin

Whale sharks get up to around 60', I thought.

Edit: my bad, 40' maybe a smidge more

Edited by cacoseraph
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forums, Cacoseraph! :)

When this fish was first discovered, it was estimated at 70 to 100 feet.I was excited.Then after some days its size was insanely reduced to 25 feet or more.Then i lost interest. Now this is a good news.50 feet is not bad. But so far Megalodon is the largest fish known. I did had in my mind to make Leedsichthys someday if it was like at least 50 feet. Now it does.I want the Leedsichthys :)

Also i did liked its last name - Problematicus.It was kind of funny.

On average,Whale shark is like 40 feet long and weighing 20 tonnes.So Leedsichthys is slightly bigger.

• Like 1

Interesting that it may have been a plankton feeder, many if not most of the largest sea creatures feed on some of the smallest organisms: the baleen whales, Whale, Basking and Megamouth Sharks, Mantas. Plankton must be an extremely rich food source to grow such large animals.

Of course there are exceptions: Great White Sharks, Orca, Sperm Whales, and the extinct Megalodon.

D'you want large fries with that?

what happened to the see full article links?

it is still there. if you are looking at certain views of these articles the links do not show up. here it is again, just in case something else is going on: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/253508/worlds-largest-fish-grew-up-to-50ft