Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Kludge808

Odd meteor

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

No, I'm not really back but I saw an oddball meteor earlier tonight and I thought I'd ask the smart people about it.

It was larger than I usually see when I see meteors (not often of late, I fear) and passed from my window frame down almost but not quite to the horizon which would put it on a roughly West-southwest course. So far, nothing spectacular, I admit. Except it was green - like a green flare only it wasn't a flare. I've seen enough of them in my life to know the difference. It had a short "tail" which appeared yellow & red (yellow closer to the whatzit and red further way) but that may have been an optical delusion. Total sighting time was about a second, maybe less.

So, people who know things about stuff, what was this oddball thing?

Edited by Kludge808

It was a meteor, as you thought and tehy come in a variety of colors. See #5 on this page

http://www.amsmeteor...reballs/faqf/#5

Cool, thanks. According to that FAQ, green indicates nickel. Great. I need to do some nickel plating and I get to watch more of it vaporize in the atmosphere than I need.

Posted (edited)

I've never been lucky enough to observe a green meteor. The only one I have ever seen that showed a distinct colour was a deep red.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo.

Most bizarre one I witnessed was a large bright white one that flew almost straight down to my far right, over the caribbean, when it split apart and continued down into the sea (I was flying at the time).

The only meteor fly-over I've seen was green.

I've seen a green one.. It was beautiful.

The Colour's of Meteors, as far as I'm aware indicate what metals are present..

Green indicates copper.

Green indicates copper.

See Merc14's link (second post). Green is usually a sign of nickel in a meteor.

2 people like this

I've never been lucky enough to observe a green meteor. The only one I have ever seen that showed a distinct colour was a deep red.

This is the first I ever saw that displayed a distinct color and I have to say it was way, way cool. Um, not literally but still. I suspect a lot of folks who pay attention to the sky have one event that surpasses all others in being memorable. That's my one. :-)

I have also seen a green one. And previously a large white fireball travelling from east to west, with long tail.

And previously a large white fireball travelling from east to west, with long tail.

The vast majority I have seen have been white. The red one was travelling extremely slowly (by meteor standards). I had time to alert the two friends I was with and for them to look up and see it too.

Unfortunately, whilst I have seen some half decent meteors, I have never seen a really bright fireball. Mind you if it's as bright as Chelyabinsk I could probably do without the experience.

2 people like this

The meteor I saw above was during night operations over the Caribbean Sea (I used to fly F-14s in the olden days). It was pitch black, the sky was filled with stars, we were at around 28k feet and starting an intercept on the red forces. I couldn't see my wingman but suddenly, off to my right, I saw a blooming light that split into two distinct plumes and headed directly towards the sea. My first thought was my wing had hit the afterburners but was heading down for no good reason. I called them on the radio and asked if they were in blower and they replied no with what I assume was a puzzled look on their faces. I asked my pilot (a really junior guy who was already overloaded and stressed) if he'd seen the lights and he hadn't but that was nothing new LOL. No one was declaring an emergency and there were no beacons so It occurred to me that the only possible explanation was a large meteor breaking up upon reentry. It fit perfectly and the intel weenies said a few other aircrew had reported seeing meteors. Guess we were in a shower of some kind. Pretty cool stuff and the Caribbean sky, on a clear moonless night at 28K feet, in a clear bubble canopy defies description, at last by someone as pedestrian as myself. Unreal and the southern cross is amazing.

Edited by Merc14

Hmmm ... F-14s ... a bit after my time. (I served aboard the USS Hornet.)

The only other object of interest I saw was what became the "Kecksburg UFO" (And I tend to choke on the UFO part) while still en route. That was fun ... for a while.

1 person likes this

Hmmm ... F-14s ... a bit after my time. (I served aboard the USS Hornet.)

The only other object of interest I saw was what became the "Kecksburg UFO" (And I tend to choke on the UFO part) while still en route. That was fun ... for a while.

I'm and old timer today to the kids we are training! :blush: I'm assuming the Hornet commissioned late in WWII and not the earlier boat? What were they flying during your time?

Edited by Merc14

In my fire sciencey fun green can also mean boron.

I'm and old timer today to the kids we are training! :blush: I'm assuming the Hornet commissioned late in WWII and not the earlier boat? What were they flying during your time?

Yep, CVS-12, not CV-8. We carried A-4s, S2Fs, ADs and a couple E-1As but the CVAs had F-4s among other things. The USS America had just been commissioned when I joined the 214 club so that should date me pretty well.

1 person likes this

Yep, CVS-12, not CV-8. We carried A-4s, S2Fs, ADs and a couple E-1As but the CVAs had F-4s among other things. The USS America had just been commissioned when I joined the 214 club so that should date me pretty well.

I got advanced training in the A-4, what a great aircraft. The red air guys used to fly a version with an F-4 phantom J-52 in them (sans the burner) called the Super Fox. Nasty machine

I've only seen red/orange meteors. A green one would be beautiful.

I got advanced training in the A-4, what a great aircraft. The red air guys used to fly a version with an F-4 phantom J-52 in them (sans the burner) called the Super Fox. Nasty machine

Isn't that the version they fly - or flew - at Top Gun?

Isn't that the version they fly - or flew - at Top Gun?

Yes, all the aggressors had a few.

I've only seen red/orange meteors. A green one would be beautiful.

It was beautiful. Brief but beautiful. :-)