Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Secrets of Beowulf revealed

Still Waters

The real-life medieval society which spawned the epic poem Beowulf is coming to light in a series of ground-breaking discoveries centred around the royal court of sixth-century Denmark.

The poem, one of the oldest literary works written in English, tells the story of how the hero Beowulf defeats the monster Grendel, who has been terrorising the royal hall of Heorot.

The fiend is attracted to the court by the sound of feasting - and excavations in the area thought to have inspired the poem have revealed that it did indeed host feasts on an epic scale.

http://www.dailymail...-epic-poem.html

• Like 3

I love that epic. I actually have it in several of my English Lit books. One of my fave movies is Beowulf with Christopher Lambert in it. VERY different take than the others I've seen, but I thought it was pretty cool.

The tale of Beowulf was the first ancient tale I learned - although not in it's correct form - and it retains a special place in my pantheon of great historical literature. If they have found the place the epic was based in, that would be fantastic!

All that feasting and they didn't invite me to the party? I'd be a mite teed off, too!

Edited by brlesq1