Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If dream dont have meaning why do we dream?

Big Bad Voodoo

They do have a meaning/purpose.. Though the meanings not always clear..

Dreams are an expression of our subconscious mind. In as much as our thoughts have personal meaning so do dreams...it's just that dreams don't go through our higher thinking functions (ie, why dreams aren't all that rational).

They are your brain unwinding and relaxing...randomly fired images and incoherent thoughts as electrical signals and chemicals settle down....possible

Then there is the school of thought that it is your subconscious mind trying to communicate with the conscious mind....also possible...

Dreams are merely a stress-relieving reflex of the brain.

Because we're human we want, desperately, to put meaning to everything.

We want them to mean something; for some odd reason the brain simply uses the stored memory of images, sounds and such as material during the restorative process.

Dreaming not having any meaning is only conjecture that does not hold up to any kind of scrutiny. I have dreams all the time that work on problems, teach me things, help me to practice other things, and force me to deal with internal conflicts. Dreams are very important. Anyone who says otherwise have not looked at the facts.

Anyone who says otherwise have not looked at the facts.

What "facts" are we talking about. Real scientific facts that can be repeatably arrived at in any and every lab or just your "facts"?

Just asking.

What "facts" are we talking about. Real scientific facts that can be repeatably arrived at in any and every lab or just your "facts"?

Just asking.

Active research into why we dream. What did you think? Though its still very much a mystery most researchers tend to think dreaming plays a very important role in sifting through internal conflicts, planning, and firms of exploratory contingency analysis. Those that think dreaming is just random don't really have any facts to back it up. Infact many people do indeed dream about fears, their work, their loved ones after a death etc etc... That's hardly random and meaningless.

There is very large body of research into this its not that hard to find.

If you are not really interested in the subject and don't want to watch the documentary skip to 50:00

http://youtu.be/i539ynXmh-c

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/why-do-we-dream.htm

Besides all that, The ops question is about meaning. Only an individual can asign meaning to something.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1

I have noticed that if I dream about moving into a new house, but there's already somebody living there, that in real life I have let something into my life that shouldn't be there.

As for dreams being stress-relievers...what about dreams that are stressful? I constantly dream about a workplace long in my past that I feel trapped in.

As title say, if dream dont have meaning why do we dream?

Big Bad Voodoo

I'm no expert but I would think they do have meaning but only subjective meaning to one's own mind and not meaning in the sense of anything external

We first heard how essence of the dream is hallucination and that you can go insane in safety.

Then that dream is linked with REM. (rapid eye movement)

If you awaken person during rem period it have 80 percent chance that he reported a dream only 10 percent during normal sleep.

When you are in rem phase and someone hits you with cold water you will be dream in that you are on rainy storm for hours then you will wake up.

Then scientists say that dreams are not connected with REM.

If dream dont have meaning why do we dream? Do we have consensus? No.

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo

Consider, from an evolutionary standpoint, it is not that everything HAS to have a purpose... it is more that it just can't have too high of a cost to be selected against.

That being said, there are a number of fairly compelling studies that have demonstrated to one degree or another that dreaming is a part of the brains learning process. The brain is just so massively complex it is hard to like, do exact cause and effect on it... really slows down iron clad research into things you can't just get a numeric reading from and then hit with drugs or volts.

I think dreams do have meaning. The subconscious works in imagery, unlike the conscious mind. The rational conscious mind has a hard time interpreting that meaning.

As title say, if dream dont have meaning why do we dream?

Big Bad Voodoo

I think some dreams do have meaning. I mean if you look at the way our bodies are designed, everything has a purpose and function. You sleep to help repair your muscle tissues and to for faster healing. This is probably the same way that dreaming works. I remember reading a pretty good article on what dreams mean and it talked about the different types of meanings that can related to dreams. Although some people think dreams are a bunch of mumbo jumbo, I truly believe that sometimes you dream and it means something. For example, when i was young i dreamed about my mother having an affair with another man, which was actually happening at the time even though i didn't know it, and would fortell of my parents pending divorce that i didn't know about. Thinking back it was my subconscious that was picking up certain signs that i wasn't fully aware of as a child and it translated those signs into a dream. Not all dreams having meaning, but i am a firm believe that some do. Just my two cents on the matter :)

• Like 2

I think some dreams do have meaning. I mean if you look at the way our bodies are designed, everything has a purpose and function.

Does our non-functioning L-gulonolactone oxidase enzyme have a purpose?

I think some dreams do have meaning. I mean if you look at the way our bodies are designed, everything has a purpose and function. You sleep to help repair your muscle tissues and to for faster healing. This is probably the same way that dreaming works. I remember reading a pretty good article on what dreams mean and it talked about the different types of meanings that can related to dreams. Although some people think dreams are a bunch of mumbo jumbo, I truly believe that sometimes you dream and it means something. For example, when i was young i dreamed about my mother having an affair with another man, which was actually happening at the time even though i didn't know it, and would fortell of my parents pending divorce that i didn't know about. Thinking back it was my subconscious that was picking up certain signs that i wasn't fully aware of as a child and it translated those signs into a dream. Not all dreams having meaning, but i am a firm believe that some do. Just my two cents on the matter :)

Welcome to UM! :st

Yes muscles grow in our sleep.

Big Bad Voodoo