Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Simbi Laveau

Cricket Protien Bars

7 posts in this topic

http://www.exo.co/

I might actually find this palatable.

Cricket flour makes it less scary ,given you don't see the bug body .

Nom

1 person likes this

Millions of hunter gatherers can't be wrong.

1 person likes this

Cricket bars? Finally, a sensible snack that's fortified with good luck.

1 person likes this

Well..as long as it doesn't sprout legs and hop away I might try it.

It might be a good way to ease people into using insects as a source of protein.

Sure, why not? I'll give it a try if I see it.

1 person likes this

I have already had a couple of these, they are pretty tasty.

The next day I had a terrible case of the craps, but not sure it was relared. I am willing to get some more should I see them and find out.

2 people like this

I have already had a couple of these, they are pretty tasty.

The next day I had a terrible case of the craps, but not sure it was relared. I am willing to get some more should I see them and find out.

You had the critts after this ? crittered in your pants ?

Sorry could't resist :-*

I've eaten a decent variety of bugs and found them to all be fairly neutral if not actually pretty good. I am actually an advocate of entomophagy (eating bugs) but I need to get my act together and produce some work for the field.

Mealworm (larval Tenebrio molitor) and mushroom pizza. The mealies were overdone. I would suggest putting them under the cheese. Still pretty good, though. The pizza itself was great, the mealworms were quite chewy. Some found it off putting, but it was more like what I imagine tough jerky on a pizza would be like.

62886_1516346540950_7055190_n_zpsa73be24e.jpg

Snail (called marsh snails, iirc. Actual species unknown to me) soup. I got this at a Korean market and vaguely remember Korean writing on the package. To be honest, there was not a whole lot of snail in my snail soup, but what there was I enjoyed. Chewy, but not strongly flavored, little dudes.

30227_1409549991103_5287099_n_zps98b01328.jpg

Of these three pictures, probably the most tasty... waxworm (Achroia grisella or Galleria mellonella)salsa on a corn tortilla chip. The salsa was pretty good and I think the waxworms added just a hint of seafood and butter flavor to it. It was pretty hard to pick the waxworm flavor or texture contribution out from the general sort of melange of salsa and chip, though.

258849_3939966449933_291739065_o_zps4fa39744.jpg

I've also had lightly fried mealworms and superworms that was actually pretty darn good. A subtle, kind of buttery/nutty flavor. The frying process also seemed to have broken down the chitin in the exoskeleton to make it much more chewable and pleasant. My main complaint with a lot of the edible bugs is that their exoskeleton is unlike anything else I normally eat. It sort of... "doesn't go away" when you chew it. Bread, meat, etc... tend to eventually turn into an easy to swallow paste. A lot of the exo I have eaten gets a more... almost sandy consistency when masticated and is a bit of a chore to swallow, especially without a cup of water to sip from on hand. That being said, I've never really found any of the actual flavors disagreeable, at all.