Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My Weird Neice

SSilhouette

I have this neice who I love but is slightly "weird". We were up in the high mountains this Summer visiting with family. There was a large pool at the base of this dammed lake at the outlet. Daily, my neice went in the pool and swam a short while. I didn't think anything of it unti the last day when she swam for over an hour in it. As I looked on, as the responsible adult in attendance, I suddenly realized that the water she was swimming in was snowmelt off of glaciers coming out of the deep end of the lake where it is the coldest. The water was maybe 38 degrees tops. When she emerged, she was definitely cold but still coherant, walking, talking, laughint and only needed an hour or so by the camp fire to warm up again.

Then I remembered that in water in the 40s or even 50s you have maybe 15 minutes before you start to lose consciousness. Not this girl! She swam a full hour and more in 38 degrees or even colder, idlling around really, not vigorous swimming where she might have stayed warm with metabolism and activity. She dipped her whole head under frequently and only seemed alarmed when I did and insisted that she get out when it dawned on me how cold the water was. So chilly that when you just stuck the tip of your foot in it, you immediately withdrew it with a shock.

Anyone else hear of this type of thing? Is this physically possible? It has to be because I and several others saw it with our own eyes.

Perhaps she has a rare special tolerance to cold water? That is impressive.

Check out polar bear clubs and this video:

edit:(ignore all the immune/disease stuff and pay attn to the cold endurance stuff)

[media=]

[/media] Edited by cacoseraph
  • Like 1

Perhaps it wasn't quite as cold you think it was. And I know of athletes that have to get in ice water for periods of time due to injury. Granted, it's not an HOUR, but maybe she just went numb to the cold and due to the fact she was continuing to move (swim), was in no danger of unconsciousness.

Or maybe she's part polar bear, idk ;)

Generally a person can go anywhere from 10-20 minutes before they become uncoordinated and lose strength in their limbs as the blood flees the extremities and goes towards the core. If she was fine in 38F water after more than an hour she is something very different than the norm. I'd check the water temperature before drawing any conclusions but if it is indeed 38F Ui'd love to know what her body temp was after 15 minutes immeresion.

I know water temps pretty well. For many years was a body surfer and later developed a susceptibility to hypothermia. The altitude was around 9,000 ft. The water in the deep gigantic lake was very cold from snowmelt into it. The water coming out of the outlet was leaving the bottom of the lake. I put my feet in for just a few seconds and they were so cold that my ankles hurt. I can guarantee you that water was in no way shape or form above 40 degrees and it was probably colder.

And like I said, my niece wasn't swimming around that much. It was more like she was just slowly ambling/walking around in it. It came just past her chest when she stood up. There were fishermen very close to her fishing for native coldwater trout and she was being very careful not to move around and splash around too much. I was chatting with another guy for some time catching up on a few years we hadn't seen him. Then I went for a short hike up a granite knoll just above the pond for a vista look, then back down. Well over an hour and I could see her the whole time. She never left the water

I know water temps pretty well. For many years was a body surfer and later developed a susceptibility to hypothermia. The altitude was around 9,000 ft. The water in the deep gigantic lake was very cold from snowmelt into it. The water coming out of the outlet was leaving the bottom of the lake. I put my feet in for just a few seconds and they were so cold that my ankles hurt. I can guarantee you that water was in no way shape or form above 40 degrees and it was probably colder.

And like I said, my niece wasn't swimming around that much. It was more like she was just slowly ambling/walking around in it. It came just past her chest when she stood up. There were fishermen very close to her fishing for native coldwater trout and she was being very careful not to move around and splash around too much. I was chatting with another guy for some time catching up on a few years we hadn't seen him. Then I went for a short hike up a granite knoll just above the pond for a vista look, then back down. Well over an hour and I could see her the whole time. She never left the water

That's amazing, honestly, and I have no explanation.

There are other neat things about her too. She's always talking about really...odd things. Like she's plugged right into the spirit world. She is right on target with everything she says and has always spoken with me about metaphysical things. Bear in mind her parents are conservative, very much against that type of thinking and are always on her about shutting that down. She isn't rebelling and just keeps on doing it anyway because that has always been her nature since she was old enough to talk as a little toddler. I hardly ever see her so it can't be my influence..lol. Let's just say the gene runs in the family and in that branch she's the only one who got it.

There are other neat things about her too. She's always talking about really...odd things. Like she's plugged right into the spirit world. She is right on target with everything she says and has always spoken with me about metaphysical things. Bear in mind her parents are conservative, very much against that type of thinking and are always on her about shutting that down. She isn't rebelling and just keeps on doing it anyway because that has always been her nature since she was old enough to talk as a little toddler. I hardly ever see her so it can't be my influence..lol. Let's just say the gene runs in the family and in that branch she's the only one who got it.

Well I am a conservative but probably not in the way the left has bastardized the term and I would never squelch my child's wandering mind. I have a very very bright son who is about the happiest kid on earth and is into all kinds of things which we both (my wife and I ) indulge with joy. Conservative philosophy is very simple. we believe that all people are equal and should be given the chance to reach their ultimate potential. Teach a man to fish and you feed him forever. Color, gender, sexual orientation and religion are completely irrelevant to a true conservative, all we care about is each person reaching their best potential because that benefits everyone. If someone is ill or truly disabled then you take care of them but you don't reward ridiculous behavior. That is about it. No religion (I am agnostic) no hatred for other people , nothing like that. Leave us to create and do your job of protecting the country and insuring free trade government but get out of my personal life.

• Like 1

I have this neice who I love but is slightly "weird". We were up in the high mountains this Summer visiting with family. There was a large pool at the base of this dammed lake at the outlet. Daily, my neice went in the pool and swam a short while. I didn't think anything of it unti the last day when she swam for over an hour in it. As I looked on, as the responsible adult in attendance, I suddenly realized that the water she was swimming in was snowmelt off of glaciers coming out of the deep end of the lake where it is the coldest. The water was maybe 38 degrees tops. When she emerged, she was definitely cold but still coherant, walking, talking, laughint and only needed an hour or so by the camp fire to warm up again.

Then I remembered that in water in the 40s or even 50s you have maybe 15 minutes before you start to lose consciousness. Not this girl! She swam a full hour and more in 38 degrees or even colder, idlling around really, not vigorous swimming where she might have stayed warm with metabolism and activity. She dipped her whole head under frequently and only seemed alarmed when I did and insisted that she get out when it dawned on me how cold the water was. So chilly that when you just stuck the tip of your foot in it, you immediately withdrew it with a shock.

Anyone else hear of this type of thing? Is this physically possible? It has to be because I and several others saw it with our own eyes.

Its possible .

When i was small,my mom used to like to ride out to Rockaway beach just to sit on the sand ,in the months of April and may .

It was warm but the water was still very cold.

Divers in wet suits were the only ones who went in the water .

From the age of maybe 10-15 ,i just used to jump in ,in a bathing suit.

My mom was initially concerned ,but then saw i was fine ,and sat on the beach reading

Numerous times the divers would tell me it was dangerous to be in the water that way .One even spoke to my mom .

I loved the water ,and stayed in at least an hour at a time.

I couldn't tell you the water tempo degree wise ,but this was before NYC started to get warm and humid .

Long before ,so at least in the low 40s .

You are initially cold ,but you get sort of numb skin,and then its fine .

I would say you have a tollerance for it when youre younger ,but we do have the polar bears here in NYC .They stay in at least an hour too

Edited by Simbi Laveau

And i had this too ...who knows .

Its possible .

When i was small,my mom used to like to ride out to Rockaway beach just to sit on the sand ,in the months of April and may .

It was warm but the water was still very cold.

Divers in wet suits were the only ones who went in the water .

From the age of maybe 10-15 ,i just used to jump in ,in a bathing suit.

My mom was initially concerned ,but then saw i was fine ,and sat on the beach reading

Numerous times the divers would tell me it was dangerous to be in the water that way .One even spoke to my mom .

I loved the water ,and stayed in at least an hour at a time.

I couldn't tell you the water tempo degree wise ,but this was before NYC started to get warm and humid .

Long before ,so at least in the low 40s .

You are initially cold ,but you get sort of numb skin,and then its fine .

I would say you have a tollerance for it when youre younger ,but we do have the polar bears here in NYC .They stay in at least an hour too

Then it isn't as odd as I thought. I remember as a child swimming for very brief times in these high mountain pools. It was so cold even then to me that it took my breath away and made my teeth chatter within a minute or less. Some monks can stay out all night in the snow and cold after meditating, in nothing more than sandals and sheer robes. Maybe there's a way to agitate the metabolism to create extra heat? Might be a great way to lose some pounds? Though I wouldn't recommend it.

Contact the Guinness World Records, they should be able to tell you if she is really special or not.