Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Feds won't sue to stop pot sales in Co and Wa

MissMelsWell

WASHINGTON (AP) - Despite 75 years of federal marijuana prohibition, the Justice Department said Thursday that states can let people use the drug, license people to grow it and even allow adults to stroll into stores and buy it - as long as the weed is kept away from kids, the black market and federal property.

In a sweeping new policy statement prompted by pot legalization votes in Washington and Colorado last fall, the department gave the green light to states to adopt tight regulatory schemes to oversee the medical and recreational marijuana industries burgeoning across the country.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Feds-wont-sue-to-stop-marijuana-use-in-Washington-Colorado-221669541.html

I don't partake in any kind of cannabis use, however, I did vote for legalization in Washington State, and I like to keep a close watch as to what is developing in regards to legalization in Wa and Co. It's been pretty fascinating to see unfold! I think we're going to see more states follow suit ... sooner rather than later.

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 3

Certainly is good (and surprising) news. And I agree MMW that other states will move quickly.

• Like 2

I think the next to legalize, and possibly before the year is out, will be New Mexico. It's possible it could be Oregon or California, but for some reason, I think it could be NM.

• Like 1

It's always amazed me how the feds have no problem with gassing everyone on earth with fossil fuels, but don't want people lighting up something that might make them thankful for the earth's blessings.

I wonder, when there are several hundred million dead due to climate change, and there's no place to bury them, if they'll make fossil fuels illegal?

The stench will be so great that you'll need pot just to think straight.

• Like 4

Maybe this is a step towards states getting back some power?

• Like 1

Maybe this is a step towards states getting back some power?

Possibly... It's too early to tell yet I think.

I read an interesting news story the other day though, I'll have to find it again and post it. But since the decriminalization of marijuana in Seattle back in 2002 (or rather least priority arrest and prosecution ordinances... it was never formally decriminalized in Seattle, but no cop would arrest anyone and the DA refused to prosecute possession cases under an ounce) ... the number of marijuana users has gone down since 2002, but the visibility of users has gone up. That was all rather anecdotally expected, it's just kind of interesting to see it happen for real.

• Like 1

After about 70 years of fear mongering reefer madness.... i think the federal government is RE conditioning people's mindsets on MJ ... paving the way for INDUSTRIALIZATION and BIG PHARMA control of it. It will be instigated as a "PUBLIC SAFETY" measure... and the profit$ will be IMMENSE!

* there will still be a black market... by underselling the government sanctioned stuff.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 7

that flies in the face of SOOOO many dispensary busts by federal agents over the last few years. it would probably be for the good if it is true, but the evidence i have seen doesn't bear it out

• Like 1

In a country where adults can buy whiskey and cigarettes it seems odd that cannabis has been completely illegal. Just my opinion.

• Like 4

that flies in the face of SOOOO many dispensary busts by federal agents over the last few years. it would probably be for the good if it is true, but the evidence i have seen doesn't bear it out

True, but it think the potential profits will finally win out.. and the production and sales will , eventually, become federally controlled. Public safety will most likely be touted as the reason for taking control of 'production'? ... but of course the real reason will be to serve corporate interests? i could be wrong, but i see it heading that way.

* allowing the whole 'medical marijuana' thing at all .. really surprised me, but what better way to change public opinion?

Edited by lightly

This is good news for individual states rights. These issues need to be decided by the states and their citizens, not by the Bully Federal Gov. If a state wants this and their citizens say yes...that is all that should be done. The Fed's should have no place in over ruling a states choices if their citizens have spoken.

I hope more states see this and move on it as they see fit. Not only on the MJ issue but other things as well.

• Like 2

In a country where adults can buy whiskey and cigarettes it seems odd that cannabis has been completely illegal. Just my opinion.

I believe that is why so many non-pot users are voting pro-pot: the federal logic just doesn't make sense when much more harmful products are available and completely legal. In fact, the harmful effects of marijuana are miles behind it's closest comparable drug and I think that shows when you listen to the FDA talk about it's "dangers". (They just keep parroting the same tired old statements. "Gateway drug" and "mood swings")

For a good laugh this morning, here's a great recording of a 911 call made a Police Officer! Apparently he had been keeping all the marijuana he confiscated and used it to make pot brownies. Him and his wife mowed down a batch and he starts having a panic attack so he calls 911! Too funny :yes:

• Like 2

After about 70 years of fear mongering reefer madness.... i think the federal government is RE conditioning people's mindsets on MJ ... paving the way for INDUSTRIALIZATION and BIG PHARMA control of it. It will be instigated as a "PUBLIC SAFETY" measure... and the profit$ will be IMMENSE!

* there will still be a black market... by underselling the government sanctioned stuff.

Bingo!! Good observation Lightly!! It is exactly what is happening. The $$ is just too attractive and current policy costly and ineffective. I´like the idea of individual states choosing and the FED keeping their nose out of it. However, they are going to want a piece too.

• Like 1

For a good laugh this morning, here's a great recording of a 911 call made a Police Officer! Apparently he had been keeping all the marijuana he confiscated and used it to make pot brownies. Him and his wife mowed down a batch and he starts having a panic attack so he calls 911! Too funny :yes:

[media=]

[/media]

Oh my God, LMAO! :)

I'm surprised he didn't go, "I'm tripping balls man, tripping balls!" LOL....

Oh my God, LMAO! :)

I'm surprised he didn't go, "I'm tripping balls man, tripping balls!" LOL....

:w00t:

• Like 1

So want to hear something interesting? I have a friend who works for a DA in Washington, and has testified in several cases regarding dispensaries. She's a paralegal and does all the research for her attorneys. In Washington, the local law enforcement refuses to aid the DEA in dispensary raids. Fact. Yet these raids DO get LEO support. The reason is because in all those cases, the DEA, LEO's, and DA's have irrefutable proof that these pot shops have one of three or so things going on:

1. They are a front for organized crime - which has been a problem in Wa State.

2. They are selling to under age people

3. They are violating local zoning laws - such as setting up shop too close to schools or federal properties

Never, in Washington anyway, has the DEA raided a dispensary who was working within the confines of local law. The DEA doesn't have the resources to stage a raid all on their own without local law enforcement cooperation. And our local law enforcement is very unwilling to participate in raids without a damn good reason.

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 2

Never, in Washington anyway, has the DEA raided a dispensary who was working within the confines of local law. The DEA doesn't have the resources to stage a raid all on their own without local law enforcement cooperation. And our local law enforcement is very unwilling to participate in raids without a damn good reason.

Good post MissMelsWell.

Sometime arrests are about the people, and not the Pot...

• Like 1

It's funny, my friend who works at city hall always has an objective outlook on marijuana legalization even though she works in a regional DA's office. Not because she's a swell person or anything like that... but because she's in this unique position where her significant other was one of the small group of activists who actually got pot moved to the "lowest law enforcement priority" for the city of Seattle back in the early 2000's. She is like me, not a user, but a strong supporter of legalization, AND a strong supporter of the law. Because of her partners activist involvement there have even been a small number of cases she's had to recuse herself from because they were cases involving that particular activisim group (who her partner is no longer involved with for a variety of reasons. He quietly supports them still, but is no longer an active member)

In fact just yesterday we were all together and someone mentioned that one our friends who is a grower in a cooperative for a dispensary was busted in a DEA raid earlier this summer. We only have a moderate amount of sympathy for her. Why? Because someone else in her cooperative was selling mass amounts of bud to teenagers to sell on the streets! NOT LEGAL. She did have the charges dropped against her, she individually wasn't doing anything wrong, she was guilty by association until they got the facts all unraveled. However, she didn't get her product back, and if she wants to go into business again, she'll have to be more careful about who she partners up with. If you're operating within the letter of the law up here, with the proper permits, licenses and operating legally, No one will bother you not even the DEA. But one stupid move like selling to kids to peddle on the streets you're going to jail. Just as you would if you sold gallons of vodka to teenagers.

Good post MissMelsWell.

Sometime arrests are about the people, and not the Pot...

I like to think that I have some good insight into all sides of the story from real people who are directly involved with the dispensary side, the user side, the activists side, and the law enforcement side... Amazingly in Washington, they all seem to be on the SAME side unless they're doing something nefarious. I think there's a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding out there too. I think as time goes on, and plans and the law get more specific, things are going to get more complicated and possibly more restrictive and yes, at some point, big business will start to control it all eventually... but I DO very much believe there will be room for the small crafter businesses as well... Washington will be supportive of boutique growers and small business as well... just like we have been with our small craft brewers, vintners, and distillers. Initially though, it might get very restrictive... mostly because we have a LOT to prove to the Feds. Its our job to do this right so other states can have a model to work with in the future. There's a lot at stake and being ground breakers for something like a prohibition break is a LOT of responsibility. I'm still pretty shocked that Washington was the first to legalize to be honest. I was fairly sure Colorado would, and possibly Oregon. It's actually out of character for Washington to be revolutionary in this way. There's a lot at stake as we move forward and I feel we're really only going to get one shot at doing it right.

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 1

So... you all do know the actual science shows it is not a costless drug right? But then again, how could anyone delude themselves into thinking inhaling burning particulate would be costless? Or how could anyone think that, by any consumptive method, a drug that so obviously effects the brain would randomly do no harm? That is just silly, right?

Edited by cacoseraph
  • Like 1

People who have no direct experience with MJ ... have no clue what they are talking about in that regard. Everything affects us and has 'side effects' .. eating a banana has 'side effects'.

• Like 3

So... you all do know the actual science shows it is not a costless drug right? But then again, how could anyone delude themselves into thinking inhaling burning particulate would be costless? Or how could anyone think that, by any consumptive method, a drug that so obviously effects the brain would randomly do no harm? That is just silly, right?

I do not know a single person who claims or believes it is a 'costless drug.' There is no such thing.

• Like 1

So... you all do know the actual science shows it is not a costless drug right?

unlike coke, heroin and many others, weed is not made by man, with help of harmfull chemicals. so it is only a drug cuz feds tell you it is. it s a plant, that has hundreds of uses, and many are very beneficial, google them, just one of them is smoking and getting high.

• Like 1