Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange Box with Strange Symbols - Identify?

makrup

I recently became the owner of this really interesting wood box that came out of an estate I bought out. It looks like it is all hand carved with star and flower like symbols. The face on the top has a large tongue that lifts up with a slot underneath so I was thinking it might be a voting or ballot box. I browse this forum from time to time and I was wondering if any of the users might be able to identify the symbols or give me some insight about what this box is all about. It is a truely awesome box. Any help is appreciated.

post-141869-0-93880600-1377898303_thumb.

post-141869-0-23847600-1377898305_thumb.

post-141869-0-50182200-1377898306_thumb.

From the letters it is Eastern European, but I can't make out the language those pictures are not very revealing.

Seems to be for magickal purposes.

Green man, pentacle, double entwined loops.

I keep wanting to say it was to hold herbs for some reason, but it's protective in nature.

It's to guard whatever is inside.

Does it have compartments. The tongue moves. Does it not

Are you sure it's not Hebrew on the box? That star may be a sign of the Jewish faith.

Are you sure it's not Hebrew on the box? That star may be a sign of the Jewish faith.

There is no PI or Omega in the Jewish alphabet.

littera scripta manet

Correct, I mistook the capital L for Pi and the N for Omega.

And the whole thing translates to: The letter stays written.

• Like 1

Can you open it. What is the construction? right now I am thinking modern reconstruction perhaps ala ren faire. While I see a patina the keyhole strikes me as wrong. Would have more damage to the carving around in my mind.

How it is put together will also give some idea of where it is from, dove tail versus nail etc.

The Star of David has 6 points, not 5. Much like two entwined equilateral triangles.

My bad. I knew that. I just can't count today. *sigh*

Or maybe "the written letter endures/remains/lasts".

-- Jaylemurph

• Like 1

Or maybe "the written letter endures/remains/lasts".

-- Jaylemurph

Which would point to an writing utensils box.

What language does that translate from? Latin?

Also might help to let you all know that this came out of an estate of a very wealthy well connected business man in the 1960's and 1970's. I don't know what kind of fraternal organizations of groups he belonged to, but he had a lot of influence and a lot of money. I was thinking this might be something from an organization he may have been a part of. Any feelings on that?

Also might help to let you all know that this came out of an estate of a very wealthy well connected business man in the 1960's and 1970's. I don't know what kind of fraternal organizations of groups he belonged to, but he had a lot of influence and a lot of money. I was thinking this might be something from an organization he may have been a part of. Any feelings on that?

it would generally be called a portfolio box. it is oak and probably dates to around 1900. it is probably from the uk but they made them elsewhere too. 300$ retail usually. the lion is nice so you might get more.

peace

What language does that translate from? Latin?

correct, instead of trying to make sense of the words I tried to make sense of the letters first (big error), besides I was slightly thrown off by the weave design which is very popular on the Greek Islands and Anatolia below the star.

What is certain is that whoever carved the inscription was not very familiar with calligraphy as all letters are in ornamental upper case (a total no-no normally).

Edited by questionmark

it would generally be called a portfolio box. it is oak and probably dates to around 1900. it is probably from the uk but they made them elsewhere too. 300$ retail usually. the lion is nice so you might get more.

What was it used for?

What was it used for?

Most probably to keep writing utensils. But your guess is as good as mine.

Edit: my guess must be pretty good as there seems to be a inkspot in the box, see the pictures above.

Edited by questionmark

What was it used for?

usually there would be a nice pillow in it and you would keep your unfinished letters or letters you wanted to keep forever but privately. but it sure looks like it a ballot box now that i see that slot in the top. thats neet. i'd like to have that.

peace

Edited by cern