Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Waspie_Dwarf

Inside the New Mission Control

2 posts in this topic

Take a Peek Inside the New Mission Control Houston

Mission Control team member Bill Foster talks with NASA Public Affairs Officer Josh Byerly about the enhancements and changes being made to Mission Control Houston. The former control room for the space shuttle has been undergoing a remodel to prepare it for the Orion flights, and it has a new look and feel. Foster talks about the upgrades and what's ahead for the space station control room as well.

Credit: NASA

Source: NASA - Multimedia

Nice! Those are some sexy control rooms! I got to be part of a satellite launch in the early 2000's and we had a little baby version of what you see here. It is interesting to hear the little bit of discussion about the behind the scenes decisions as they totally mirror my experiences. I was basically one of the lowest totem pole jobs possible. I had like, one primary responsibility and a couple back up jobs. My primary duty was to record numbers off a computer monitor onto a work sheet and then deliver it to a superior. That was... well, I mean, on the one hand it was totally cool! I got to work with a team of PhD's and government dudes on a satellite we had just flung into space! But, on the other hand, seriously... I just copied numbers from a screen onto a sheet of paper every half hour and gave them to an engineer =P

One of my back up jobs was way cooler, but I only ever got to practice it. If, like, we fell under a nuclear attack while the satellite launch was ongoing and like, ALL these dudes got wiped, I would have been responsible for actually typing commands into a computer to transmit to a satellite! And in fact, during one of my practice sessions I got to command a sort of B-string satellite one time! I got to tell it to run a diagnostic. Sad as it might sound, that is one of the highlights of my geek life =P

Oh, and for the record, and as BS as it sounds, I can't identify what program or satellites I worked for. Believe me or not, I don't care. That is how things work in that world.