Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EU plans to fit all cars with speed limiters

Still Waters

Under the proposals new cars would be fitted with cameras that could read road speed limit signs and automatically apply the brakes when this is exceeded.

Patrick McLoughlin, the Transport Secretary, is said to be opposed to the plans, which could also mean existing cars are sent to garages to be fitted with the speed limiters, preventing them from going over 70mph.

http://www.telegraph...d-limiters.html

Yet another blatant attack by the EEC on peoples freedom and Liberty.

Yet another blatant attack by the EEC on peoples freedom and Liberty.

Uh no this is too stop high speed crashes, you should not be speeding anyway

No it's an attack on personal choice and freedom.

What benefit is there by speeding? if you are late for work or meeting or appointment and you are speeding then it is your fault because you should of planned your route better.

What benefit is there by speeding? if you are late for work or meeting or appointment and you are speeding then it is your fault because you should of planned your route better.

Who said anything about Speeding.

Who said anything about Speeding.

Under the proposals new cars would be fitted with cameras that could read road speed limit signs and automatically apply the brakes when this is exceeded.

Patrick McLoughlin, the Transport Secretary, is said to be opposed to the plans, which could also mean existing cars are sent to garages to be fitted with the speed limiters, preventing them from going over 70mph.

So to prevent Speeding

So to prevent Speeding

Preventing anyone in any circumstances going over 70 will undoubtedly cause deaths. If i'm in the middle lane doing a steady 70, car not far behind me in both the middle and 3rd lane, then someone pulls out in front of me from the first lane the least dangerous thing to do is to accelerate into the third lane thus avoiding heavy breaking and potential crashes.

Edited by Sky Scanner
  • Like 5

I'm pretty sure the Germans are going to love this,you can travel up to 120 mph on their Autobahns.

Preventing anyone in any circumstances going over 70 will undoubtedly cause deaths. If i'm in the middle lane doing a steady 70, car not far behind me in both the middle and 3rd lane, then someone pulls out in front of me from the first lane the least dangerous thing to do is to accelerate into the third lane thus avoiding heavy breaking and potential crashes.

True bu that also depends on the persons reactions are, for all i know for argument sake you could be 80 and not have quick reactions to get away

Exactly...there are times when accelerating is the only way to avoid an accident.

• Like 5

True bu that also depends on the persons reactions are, for all i know for argument sake you could be 80 and not have quick reactions to get away

It's more likely to be an 80yr old that pulls out from the first lane after coming up on a slow moving lorry, but pulling out at 55 or 60mph...that is going to have the knock on effect of making everyone else behind break heavy. If you accelerate into the 3rd lane, get passed him and then reduce back to 70 you have stopped a potential pile-up.

• Like 2

So to prevent Speeding

So he should,Law enforcement gets paid to prevent speeding.Speed cameras are installed to prevent speeding.

How much will it cost for motorists to have these devices installed ? Do you not think that Motorists pay enough already ? High gas prices and road Tax.

It is a blatant attack by the EEC on personal choice and personal freedom.

• Like 1

just to annoy Clarkson! I thoroughly approve. :D

That kind of Freedom is merely a nuisance at best, and possibly a danger, to others. That really is a misuse of the word 'freedom'.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh

Terrible idea. Hopefully the powerful motor industry get this binned before it even starts.

Oh yes, we must preserve our Freedom to be a bloody menace to others. that's the only kind of Freedom people care about nowadays, it seems, the freedom to be a bloody nuisance.
  • Like 1

Are they going to make sure that slow drivers (as dangerous as speeders IMO) automatically speed up to a safe speed (to stay with the flow of traffic)?...

This automated regulation of speed with no regard to conditions, has "disaster" written all over it...

• Like 5

Oh yes, we must preserve our Freedom to be a bloody menace to others. that's the only kind of Freedom people care about nowadays, it seems, the freedom to be a bloody nuisance.

Freedom is Freedom wether it is a nuisance or not.

Are they going to make sure that slow drivers (as dangerous as speeders IMO) automatically speed up to a safe speed (to stay with the flow of traffic)?...

This automated regulation of speed with no regard to conditions, has "disaster" written all over it...

Taun, can you imagine how this would go over in the US? Especially out west? :w00t:
  • Like 2

Taun, can you imagine how this would go over in the US? Especially out west? :w00t:

We've got 100 mile straightaways... I dread the day that our speeds are limited by some uncaring machine... I can't imagine the frustration of being stuck in a dense bubble of traffic for

hundreds of miles with no chance of getting out of the bubble into a safer - less congested part of the traffic flow... Because, limiting the speed will result in denser knots of traffic - thus a greater chance of

accidents...

Our 'experiment' with 55mph as a the national speed limit back in the 70's was a huge - resounding failure...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 3

I'm pretty sure the Germans are going to love this,you can travel up to 120 mph on their Autobahns.

A speed limit on the Autobahn is in the talks already. It's only a matter of time.

I take it you've never tried to do 70 on a motorway have you.

Yes, & interestingly i've rarely heard of a fatal motorway accident that didn't involve an articulated lorry.

A menace to others? Get a grip. So you're poodling along at 60 in the 1st lane, and someone is able to accelerate to 80 in the 3rd lane - how is that a nuisance to you? Or are you just one of these that likes to legislate every aspect of people's lives in some effort to reduce risk, simply because they do things you wouldn't do?

• Like 1

Yes, & interestingly i've rarely heard of a fatal motorway accident that didn't involve an articulated lorry.

My father was a fireman for 20 odd yrs, most fatalities in road accident had little to do with people going to fast on motorways, the worst ones being tailgating and then the car infront brakes heavy causing a concertina effect in crashing. Before the M20 opened, you only had the A20, it's quite a slow road - you'd be lucky to get up to 50/60 on it (on a good day)...every week someone was dying on it somewhere....the M20 opened which ran parralel to it, you can get a good lick of speed up on that road and there is hardly any fatalities on it.

• Like 1