Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
seeder

First 'Trojan' Asteroid Companion of Uranus

4 posts in this topic

Astronomers have discovered an unexpected, novel kind of triangle in the sky — one whose points are the sun, Uranus and the first "Trojan asteroid" ever seen near the tilted planet.

The discovery of the Trojan asteroid for Uranus suggests Uranus and Neptune could have far more such asteroid companions than previously thought, scientists say.

In astronomy-speak, objects that share their orbit with a planet — but do not collide with the world — are known as Trojans. Such objects have been seen around several planets in our solar system, including the Earth, but the newfound asteroid 2011 QF99 near Uranus is the first ever seen for that planet.

http://www.space.com/22590-uranus-trojan-asteroid-discovery.html

2 people like this

Astronomers have discovered an unexpected, novel kind of triangle in the sky — one whose points are the sun, Uranus and the first "Trojan asteroid" ever seen near the tilted planet.

The discovery of the Trojan asteroid for Uranus suggests Uranus and Neptune could have far more such asteroid companions than previously thought, scientists say.

In astronomy-speak, objects that share their orbit with a planet — but do not collide with the world — are known as Trojans. Such objects have been seen around several planets in our solar system, including the Earth, but the newfound asteroid 2011 QF99 near Uranus is the first ever seen for that planet.

http://www.space.com...-discovery.html

A trojan companion for Uranus?I am struggling mightily not to go for a joke here.
4 people like this

A trojan companion for Uranus?I am struggling mightily not to go for a joke here.

yeh I bit my lip too :lol:

1 person likes this

These kinds of discoveries are always kind of cool. It has been relatively long known that junk could be in any large body's orbital trunk. So when the scientists actually find it, it makes us that much more secure in the, you know, probably basic rightness of the scientific models we use. Unless otherwise stated =P

2 people like this