Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

introverts and extroverts

granpa

There seems to be a lot of confusion about introverts and extroverts.

Extroverts focus on outward appearance while introverts focus on the underlying reality.

This is the fundamental difference between them. All other things follow from this.

Introverts like people but don't like mindless mobs of people judging them by their appearance.

• Like 3

I guess I am one who has confusion about this. I have always considered extroverts as being those who are more open about sharing of themselves with others while introverts are more closed off and private about themselves. I tend to cycle between the two depending on my comfort level in a given situation

• Like 7

I'm not sure exactly. It's hard to predict. Obviously I'm more comfortable around friends than strangers but it's more complicated than that. Some strangers I just seem to have a natural rapport with while others make me uncomfortable.

I find when discussing this sort of thing with my students is "introverts play Skyrim, extranets play World of Warcraft" works as a good rule of thumb.

• Like 2

I find when discussing this sort of thing with my students is "introverts play Skyrim, extranets play World of Warcraft" works as a good rule of thumb.

I don't play either but I do like HALO

Im more of an introvert and I play Skyrim. never played Warcraft.

So your theory is right here :yes:

• Like 2

I think I am both. I love being in front of the camera... or on the microphone to entertain.

I like my outward appearance. I do like to go out but only if it's with people I know a lot or like.

I don't like to go to places with large crowds with people I don't know or like.

In that aspect I'm an introvert... If I know about a party and I know who's going to to be there

and it might be boring, Then I rather stay home and read write and watch movies.

But if it's a place where I can sing or be on stage and have a few drinks, then i will want to be on stage.

I'm strange like that, I suppose I like to be out and get attention.. yet I am a bit dark and secretive...

and don't like to go out, unless it's a very fun event.. that I feel comfortable and excited about.

But just hanging with a group of people who i have nothing in common with..

will make me want to be an introvert and stay home that day..

Extroverts focus on outward appearance while introverts focus on the underlying reality.

This is the fundamental difference between them. All other things follow from this.

Introverts like people but don't like mindless mobs of people judging them by their appearance.

My understanding of the definition of Extrovert is, one who becomes energized by being in the presence of lots of people; and the Introvert is exhausted by being around lots of people and prefers to be alone or with small groups to just one other person.

I think saying, "Extroverts focus on outward appearance while introverts focus on the underlying reality. This is the fundamental difference between them. All other things follow from this." is a biased statement, perhaps personal because I know introverts that are very concerned about how they appear to other people and definitely a lot of extroverts that don't give a hoot about their "outward appearance" they just like to be around a lot of people and love the attention.

When you talk about peoples feelings on their personal appearance that leans more toward Self Esteem issues and not necessarily related to being an Extro/Inrovert.

It was thought that Extroverts were more confident and thus less likely to be concerned about appearance and Introverts less confident thus more concerned about their appearance; BUT this is not necessarily so. It certainly may be true in some circumstances but it is more of an individual situation. As I stated above, I know introverts that are very concerned about how they appear to other people and definitely a lot of extroverts that don't give a hoot about their "outward appearance" they just like to be around a lot of people and love the attention.

• Like 6

Introverts are engaged in a sea of passion in their own minds.

• Like 3

lava lady you are equating "focusing on" with "caring about"

It isn't that simple.

If I had meant "care about" I would have said "care about".

obviously if you stick an introvert in a mindless mob of people that are judging him by his appearance

then he is of course going to worry a great deal about his appearance.

and he is going to want to get away from that mindless mob of people

Edited by granpa

lava lady you are equating "focusing on" with "caring about"

It isn't that simple.

If I had meant "care about" I would have said "care about".

obviously if you stick an introvert in a mindless mob of people that are judging him by his appearance

then he is of course going to worry a great deal about his appearance.

and he is going to want to get away from that mindless mob of people

With all due respect, I am not equating "focusing on" with "caring about".

If you put either an Extrovert or an Introvert into a "mindless mob of people that are judging him by his appearance" room and tell them "Your appearance is being judged" then yes, I agree that he/she will worry about it.

But what I was getting at is that I don't agree with your definitions. "Extroverts focus on outward appearance while introverts focus on the underlying reality." That's all.

extroverts thrive in crowds and there is no such thing as a crowd that does not judge people by appearances.

That is all

Edited by granpa

extroverts thrive in crowds and there is no such thing as a crowd that does not judge people by appearances.

That is all

Crowds that judge as a unit are typically organized, perhaps a contest but, in a random crowd each individual will judge on their own, this is the human condition and it happens all the time. That wasn't what I was disagreeing with.

Once again, all that I was saying is that I disagree with your definitions but, it seems you are becoming a bit sardonic and are not very open to discussion. Or am I just judging you thusly?

:D

• Like 1

Crowds that judge as a unit are typically organized, perhaps a contest but, in a random crowd each individual will judge on their own,

so mobs are rational? That's so wrong that its not even worthy of a reply

Edited by granpa

I am most definitely an introvert, and I don't give one damn about my appearance.

• Like 2

Are you done editing this one post? Is the 3rd edit the charm? Which is contrary to your last statement ^ if not worthy of a reply then don't reply!

Once again you are mincing words, I used your original word "crowd" now you change to "mob". They are different granpa, as you are aware. And now I am absolutely bored with this thread. :sleepy:

• Like 2

No disrespect intended (okay, maybe just a little) but are you one of those old counselors who have let their training (what little you may have) go to your head, and now you believe you've the answers to all human conditions? The reason I ask is because you remind me of someone I once knew. By the time he passed away he sincerely believed that he was god of the universe.

If, on the other hand, you are simply allowing your world view (or, indeed, your core beliefs) to be shaped and enforced by the crowds you have around you, then I suggest, with all sincerity, that you find some nicer people to hang with.

Being a certified, card-carrying introvert I can tell that I not only focus on "the underlying reality", but "outward appearance" as well, and sometimes on things not related to either those two examples.

And one more surprise for you: I often don't mind people judging me by my appearance. In fact, I could care less most of the time.

So, before I ask you to bring me a glass of milk and read me a story, let me just say that you've still a lot left to learn old man. :tu:

• Like 2

I'm an introvert for sure and I have enjoyed both types of games. Not World of Warcraft, but I used to play a lot of Everquest. You're playing with other people, but you still have a significant buffer zone being online instead of in person. Also, you can role play as a different person altogether if you want to. I actually played as character types that could solo many things, so a lot of the time I'd run around in the multiplayer online world by myself.

• Like 3

Are you done editing this one post? Is the 3rd edit the charm? Which is contrary to your last statement ^ if not worthy of a reply then don't reply!

Once again you are mincing words, I used your original word "crowd" now you change to "mob". They are different granpa, as you are aware. And now I am absolutely bored with this thread. :sleepy:

actually no, I used the word mob.

Edited by granpa

Not rational but sometimes act as an individual in some ways
  • Like 3

actually no, I used the word mob.

I stand corrected.... (I'm courageous enough to admit this freely, perhaps my underlying reality :) )

Regardless, I still disagree with your definition of Extrovert and Introvert. And so does 3 years of college psychology (Human Development).

• Like 4

Introverts and extraverts always bring me down...

It's a song reference, folks. :whistle:

• Like 3