Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could a simple font help dyslexics read?

Still Waters

A font that changes each letter to be unique could help dyslexics overcome reading difficulties.

Dyslexie varies the size and shape of each letter to make sure all words are recognisable.

A heavy baseline - which means the bottom of each letter is thicker - also makes it less likely for a reader to misread the word.

http://www.dailymail...ers-unique.html

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bLu3 de 3n3rgy

• Still Waters

• brlesq1

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting I'm dyslexic but mainly with auditory dyslexia which this wouldn't help per se, but I wonder if it would help with word blanks and syntax which is a dyslexia thing that i do get. What i find interesting is i am very fussy about what fonts i use in email and words etc, and tend to gravitate towards fonts just like this dyslexie font. So i believe there is something to it. The standard font for typing in this text box for instance is horrible - I find it a waste of time to proof read my posts in this box unless i highlight the entire text field and read it that way, but that is time consuming. It would be nice if forums integrated this new font!

There is no doubt that a keyboard and spell checker has revolutionised how dyslexics cope but things could be better, i would like to see an auto spell checker for apps like Skype. I don't know why they don't have that considering Skype is used for a lot of business. It's so disheartening to suddenly look like an idiot when text typing, when you know you are not- and it's not realistic to expect someone to sit with a dictionary and manually spell check every word in an instant message environment.

This is wonderful. I have a friend who's dyslexic. He'd welcome this, I'm sure.